Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I've been doing research for a while about lap band and I ran across this board yesterday. What a support system you guys have here!

A little about myself: I'm 25, 5' 3" 210lbs. I've been overweight for about 6 1/2 years. My family has a history of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high bloodpressure and high colestrol. I've tried every fad diet there is including Meridia that my PCP perscribed. The only success I had was taking Phentermine- I went from 190 to 170 between Feb. and May of last year only to gain 40 back to put me at where I'm at now. I really don't think long term pill use is safe and my husband really frowns on it as well (yeah, this coming from someone who will never be fat!).

My eating has become completely out of hand, to where I don't even feel like I have control of it. I feel so ashamed when my husband and I are eating and he stops eating and I keep going. I can stuff myself full but then an hour later I'm telling myself I'm hungry. My weight and my body image are something that comsume my thoughts just about every minute of every day. I'm constantly thinking "is the back of my shirt hiked up over my big butt?" or when I'm walking with my husband are people wondering "what is HE doing with HER?".

I'm so tired of being overweight. I'm tired of waking up in the middle of the night with my hips hurting because I've been laying on one side too long. I become out of breath just walking down the hall to the bathroom, trying to do aerobics makes the arches of my feet cramp badly, and I have severe lower back pain, not to mention the depression that comes along with all of this

I scheduled an appointment yesterday for a consultation at Lapband Solutions (Robert Powell) in Richardson, TX next week. The girl on the phone scheduling my appointment said that I had really good insurance when I told her that I had United Healthcare.

Do any of you with more experience and have been through this think I have a snowball's chance at getting insurance to cover it only being 210lbs?

Sorry to drag on so long.....look forward to chatting w/all of y'all.

Brandi

Brandi - I just saw an add in the Dallas paper that is advertising if you are 65 pounds overweight you are eligible. Good luck and keep us posted!

Brandi, you won't know until you try! Best of luck to you! My pre-existing health problems qualified me for the band. How sad that we have to look for serious health problems in order to get better health! Hopefully, some day the insurance companies will wake up and realize what a wonderful preventative tool the band is...to help people manage their weight before those issues happen.

Good luck to you! It sounds like you've taken the first step. You have to start somewhere. I hope the insurance approves you for lapband surgery, keep in touch on your progress with everything.

Tricia

Guest susan

Hi Brandie

I am the same height and was almost the same weight as you. My surgery was completely covered by my insurance company. I did, however, have some co-morbidities (like painful arches, low back pain, indigestion=some mild reflux.) Good luck with everything. I am older than you but feel your anxiety of having a thin husband and being on every diet there is. I would be happy now if I weighed what he weighs. He is one of those people who can have 2 chocolate chip Cookies and leave over a half of one!

Good luck with your pursuit. Although I am fairly new, I am so excited that am finally seeing the scale going in the other direction.

Hi everyone and thanks so much for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. Susan you've definately given me some hope since our situations are very similar.

-Brandi

United Health Care? You'll be approved. I have them. just about 2 out of 10 people at my husbands work have either the lap band or the gastric bypass. It's so popular that people do it just as easy as making a regular Dr.'s appointment. I saw my Dr. for a consultation in Dec of 04, and then had my band put in in 2/16/05. It would have been sooner too, but I had other stuff I was taking care of. Anyway, your eating habits and your feelings were just like me. My husband was eating slower and less than me while I was stuffing my mouth with 2nd's and 3rds. Depression on top of it didn't help either. So I know what you are going through. But since I see a lot of myself in you, I would say try weight loss counceling before you do the band. Maybe if you can overcome your relationship with food, any depression and anxiety, you may still have a good chance at succeeding on your own. Or even with the band, the counceling especially for food relationships, will help you through the really tough beggining. Because it is soooooooooooo hard those first 2 to 3 weeks after surgery.

Thanks Norma ;) Yeah I've been looking into the counceling as well. There was a blood drive in my office building the other day and I donated. They do a complimentary cholesterol check for you and I got the results back today....251!!! ACK!! I'm hoping that'll help my cause as well ;)

Good luck, Brandi! Sounds as if you have good insurance. Meanwhile, check out the "favorite pet" thread on the Lap Band Talk Lounge forum to see some other bandster pups. I'llsucceed has a beautiful Boxer boy.