Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose lap band over bypass?

I know a couple people who had bypass and had terrible complications, so for me the band seemed a lot safer. I liked the idea that it was adjustable and could be removed if necessary, and less invasive. This sounds silly, but I also thought that if the band didn't work, there was always the possibility of a gastric bypass or other wls as a backup.

My HA1C numbers dropped very nicely after banding, but I was never on insulin or any other med to control it. My cholesterol also dropped, thankfully, as my doc wanted to put me on cholesterol-lowering meds.

Good luck choosing!

I am a cancer survivor, and as such have a higher risk for future problems, if that were to happen, I can have an unfill and take in all the required nutrition, and my body benefit from it----not an option with bypass.

I also know me. I do not do well when I am told I cannot have something! Sad but true, I am immature I guess!!! When told I would be unable to have sweets----I thought nuh-uh!!!

I wanted to be able to have a piece of cake on my grandbabies birthdays! And I can, a small one is plenty, but I Celebrate with them!

I took Metformin for high blood sugar, as well as 2 meds for high blood pressure and one for high cholesterol prior to surgery. I take nothing prescription now!!! My FIL is diabetic so I check my blood sugar at his place on occasion, last time I checked it was about an hour after lunch----and my blood sugar was 98. My DH and I check our blood pressure regularly---he had heart surgery 18 months ago---today my blood pressure was 112/67. And my last cholesterol reading come in at 152. I just donated blood Friday, so will get a new reading in a week or so....my Dr. does my bloodwork every 6 months but the United Blood Service offers free cholesterol readings with your donation, so I always check----and it has steadily lowered....

I LOVE my band----I am not at goal----but it has been successful---I am healthy again! I am 47, and do not feel it, let alone feeling older like I used to!

Best of luck to you as you make your choice.....consider all things seriously!

Kat

Kat, you are an inspriation!! WOW!

My reasoning behind choosing the Lapband is I completely trust my PCP and Lapband is the ONLY WLS she recommends (she's totally against RNY/bypass).

I have a friend that had gastric bypass 4 years ago, she went from 425 to 180 and she now weighs over 300. I'm not willing to go through all of that to re-gain most of my weight 3 years later. She now has the same health risks she had when she had her surgery...

Safer, slower weightloss with long term effects. Sign me up!

Another issue to support the band is in the fact that they are making great strides finally in both WLS, and also in discovering WHY we gain as we do, or cannot lose weight.

With the band---if they develop a new type of WLS, in 3 years, or find a safe pill to block fat....or discover a magic potion that aids in weight loss----we would all be eligible for it! We have not had anything re routed or removed.....

Many bandsters are very young----it seems by far the smartest move to make, keeping your future options open!

I read of a new band they are working on that is remote control adjusted. It would be made similarly, but the Dr. would tighten restriction in small increments using a remote control. It would eliminate the need for ports, and saline injections, thereby reducing infection. Plus emergency rooms could all have the remote on hand to release restriction---even if there was not a bariatric surgeon on hand, we could have access to immediate relief. If this ever comes to be, we could all have ourselves switched over if we chose to....

Me.....I am hoping for the magic pill or potion that I just swallow once, and all my fat is gone....extra skin only a distant memory....fine lines and wrinkles----done away with! Until then----I love my band!!!

Thanks Michele! That's sweet!

Kat

Kat-

Great reasons and you are right. With the advances in weight loss options coming ,it would be nice to have the ability to explore te "miracle cure" if and when it does come. I hope it is flavored chocolate!

Mary

Me.....I am hoping for the magic pill or potion that I just swallow once, and all my fat is gone
Don't you know that's available? All you need to do is watch TV at about 3 in the morning, and you'll have a large selection to choose from.

Yeah Wheetsin----but everything I have ever ordered at 3 AM ---all I ended up losing was $$$$$!!! Good point!!!

Maybe I should preface my statement, that I want MY magic pill not to come with stock options in Hanes Her Way or fruit of the Loom....no oily discharge side effects please!!!! ICK!

Kat

I chose lapband because I am not extremely overweight (BMI 38) and I didn't want my insides rearranged. I also wanted gradual weight loss to minimize the risk of gallstones. Additionally, bypass causes you to absorb fewer nutrients and you can suffer from malabsorption syndrome and malnutriition more easily. Finally, I chose lapband because I know that if there is a problem the procedure is reversible. But the decision is between you and your doctor. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of bypass perhaps you can consult with another bariatric surgery group in your area. Good luck and God bless.

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I am now convinced that Lap Band is the way I want to go. I am now in month 2 of the 6 month waiting perid and time is going soooo slow. I am trying to keep my BMI close to 36 and also trying to exercise but not drop below my 35. The surgeon. said he would count my BMI from the first visit, but I don't know if I drop below that on my primary visits whether or not they will disqualify me. I feel so fat and am really motivated now. The success stories I hear from you all are so inspiring. Thanks so much.:biggrin:

Mary

I have diabetes and sleep apnea also. The mortality rate is the main reason why I chose the lap band. It is a TOOL. Re-routing my plumbing was not appealing to me at all!!!