Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one can really tell you. I planned 1 week and found that I should have 2 full weeks. I think one's age, level of physical fitness prior to surgery and if you have had prior abdominal surgeries are factors in figuring out how much time you will need. Just remember if you plan on two weeks and are ready to go back sooner great, if not then you have the time.

Good advice...if you can afford the time off...give it to yourself so that you can be at your best!!! Those with physical lifting jobs, I would think really need to be careful...you don't want to have to go back under to fix any thing :crying:

Edited by amsderb
sp

I think I am going to try to find a friend to help me with the dogs i would be taking care of and only figure maybe 5 days since my job doesn't require a lot of physical work for the most part it is let dogs out let dogs in feed them that sort of thing. I can pick and choose who I take and who will have to be kenneled. I just can't say 2 weeks and if I feel better only do 1 because other arrangements will have been made but maybe I could get help for several visits. This is perhaps the most stressful part for me since I am going so heavily in debt to pay for this surgery.

MaidMarion, Good Luck to you then...sounds like friends could help you....If the dogs were calm I'd think it would be ok...Be careful with walking them if they pull too hard...otherwise...the walking would be great for you!

Banded. am soo glad I took two weeks off. nearing the end of my first week and I will need at least one to recoup. Its not bad, just taking longer to recoup that I initially expected. still quite a bit of incision pain. and side and back pains. It is better and better every day, though! Yay for being banded. I don't regret it at all! The weight has simply melted, I know its mostly post surgery. but well worth it even if this is the only wieght I will lose. (I know it isn't)

I think everyone's got some good points...I'm going to wait and go back on Tuesday instead of Monday. I feel perfectly fine to go back tomorrow OTHER than the gas pains! If it weren't for those terrible shooting pains that go up into my shoulder (I AM NOW GETTING THOSE), then I'd feel like I never even had surgery. Every now and then I have a little twinge at the incision sites...but for the most part, listen to your body--it will tell you when. I am usually a pretty big whimp and usually milk illnesses for all they are worth, but honestly, the more I am up and doing things, the better I feel. I am by no means an athletic or active type person--I am SO lazy, it's not even funny--but my gas pains feel better when I'm moving around...plus, my incisions get sore when I've been sitting/laying too long. Suggestion: if you have a recliner-sleep and sit on that for a while rather than on a bed or couch--it helps to get from the lying/sitting position to standing position...it's nice in the hospital when you have the bed to help, but at home, the recliner is a good substitute.

Thanks for mentioning the recliner, Nikki.

I was wondering how you sleep after you get home. Lord knows I have a hard enough time sitting up & getting out of the bed now, much less after surgery...LOL

Maybe I will call one of those furniture rental places & rent a recliner for a week or so... LOL of course I may not want to get rid of it afterwards either..LOL

How is everyone with stairs? I am in a townhouse and its just my teenage daughter & I, so I don't want to stress her out..

Thanks everyone!

I have a 2-story and I do fine--I've been up and down the stairs since the day after surgery--faster every day :)

As for the recliner thing--you could check craigs list too--or maybe even on here--on craigs list you may be able to find one cheap enough to buy--doesn't have to be something pretty to look at, just comfortable to sit on--on here, maybe you'd find someone willing to let ya borrow?!? If you are in the Phoenix area, I'd be happy to :eek:

Nikki, thats so nice of you! However, I am in Florida so I think with gas prices I would be better to buy one...LOL Good to know about the stairs, my daughter will be relieved! She is stressing about what to do & how she will know I am ok. Apparently she thinks I will be out of it & unable to speak...LOL

LOL---no please tell her that you will NOT be out of it after you get out of the hospital--not unless you are on some totally different drugs than the rest of us!!! :0) Check on craigs list for a recliner or on LBT.com--maybe someone on here might be in your area...I know I've found people blocks away from me!

Good ideas ladies...after my complete abdominal (open) hysterectomy last June they suggested that I put a sturdy chair (like a dining room type) next to my bed...then use the back as the bar to pull up on or hold on too! It worked great...The other GREAT TIP...take a fanny pack and put like carmax or lipbalm, a small mirror, breath strips OK this time GAS X strips etc.... then hang it from the headboard or chair...always within a easy reach etc...I actually brought it to the hospital since I stayed 2 nights and had it hooked to the bed bar!

Just a thought...Luckily, I have a great recliner too! ChecK out Goodwill or a consignment store...always have good ones...Big Lots had some too!

Hi all. I think this is a personal decision. I have had 5 children over the past 18 years and know my pain threshold. i work in a feild where I see clients for scheduled appts. I have co-workers who are willing to help "with copies or run to the mailbox" if needed. I had surgery Friday the 21st of March and have returned back ...today! I wish I would have heard a bit more from people about the discomfort and the after effects...and i may have stayed away from the office longer. Good luck!

When I had my surgery I took 2 weeks off. Honestly the only reason that I did was because I could. I was ready to go back to work in about 3 days. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was ready to go back on Monday. I guess it depends on how well your body responds to everything. Everyone is different so what works for me may not work for you.