Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

I was just banded 3 days ago on 3/5/08. At first I was so excited. Now as I look at my body and the incisions and swelling I am wondering if I did the right thing. I am not experiencing much pain except I think where my port is. As for being hungry, yes and no. I can't tell if I am hungry or nauseaed. I sometimes feel like I am short of breath but I don't really have any chest pain or anything. I am having some back pain which I assume is from the gas.

I just feel like maybe I should of tried harder before doing this...I don't know I guess I just have the post surgery blues and need some support to get through it. Thanks for listening. :lol:

hey we were banded the same day, good for you. why fight a losing battle? why shouldn't you be healthy and thin, why shouldn't you be the one to not have to fight so hard to lose the weight? why shouldn't you be given "a break?" yes it will take work but you deserve it and you are worth it, I know i am. is it easy, no, is it the magic potion, no, will it require us to be responsible in our weight loss, yes. incisions will heal and life will go on and we will reap the rewards of our efforts. change the mindset of punishing ourselves, and realize we deserve to have a healthy life and all the good stuff that goes along with that!! be happy, you made a great decision to take control of your life!! g2s

Ooh my gosh - I'm in the exact same place. EXACTLY. I can't pick up my dogs, I can't laugh without the port side hurting...can't even go to the bathroom normally...hurts to "wipe" because of the "reaching" effect that pulls at the stomach. Ugh. I was just banded 4 days ago and thought I would be able to go back to work 2 days later...noooo way. Ended up working from home but new plan is to head back in on monday. we'll see how that goes. thank you for posting. makes me feel like i'm not alone!

It truely gets better. I was banded on Jan 28th of this year. I am now back to my normal self and have been back to work for a couple of weeks. I have more energy and not taking naps on the weekends. The band so far has helped me so much. Just remember to walk at least every hour and sip on your Water....that really made a differece for me. It is so nice to just eat the 3 to 4 ounces of Protein and if I am still hungry I work on the veggies and a piece of fruit.

Hope all gets better for you,

Kathy in Wa

I was banded on 3/4 and really thought I'd feel back to normal by now. Boy was I wrong. I still think this was the right decision for me. My real doubts came before the surgery. Now that I have made it to this point, I'm going to make this band work for me. I have never found any point in dwelling on whether I made the right decision after it was made, instead, let's make the best of the choices we made. Don't look back!

I started full liquids today and am getting in my fluids and hourly walks. I'm sure we'll be feeling back to normal before long and will be on our way to being the losers we know we can be!

I was banded on 2/27/08 and I was really regretting my decision. I am still having a lot of pain by my port. I keep thinking is did I do the right thing???? My husband thought I could do this without the surgery but I failed so many other times. I would lose 30 lbs and gain back 40 lbs. Today is the first day that I am starting to feel like me again. My motivation is that I am down 25 lbs (15 pre-op and 10 post-op). I will not fail at this! I can not fail at this! Thank you all for putting yourselves out there. Listening to your stories and experiences has helped me get through this first step in my journey to be thin again.

It's only been a few days. Your body is recovering from surgery and anesthesia. You have pain. Remember the incisions are small but they did do things inside your body. You have sutures around the band, they lifted your liver out of the way etc.

You are struggling with new post op diet restrictions. This will all change SLOWLY, but will improve. You still have several stages of post op food phases to get through, but each one introduces a new food choice and the new hope that life will get back to normal, which it does!

The first week can be the hardest. Walk, walk, walk and sip your liquids.< /p>

I felt the same way about 3-4 days post-op. I have a really busy life, with a full time job, full time college course load, and 2 kids. I had no energy, then the hunger kicked in and it really hit me hard. I was also having a hard time getting in all of my Water and Protein each day, and now that I am, let me tell you, it makes a difference. I'm now 9 days post-op, on full liquids/ starting very thin mushies, and things are much better. I'm still wiped out after a shower, though.

You are only 3 days out from surgery. You need to give yourself time to rest and relax. It will get better.

Hey! I got banded on 1/30/08. Trust me, this will pass. Keep pluggin' along, you will get there! I have lost over 40 pounds is under 2 months.

Ashlee :lol:

And just this morning, I was reflecting on how very different thing seem today versus last Saturday. Last weekend, I was crying my eyes out at every turn, light headed, and just feeling totally depressed. Today, I feel very hopeful that this will actually work for me. Everyone told me right after that my depression and feelings of regret were normal, and they were right. My numbers all bottomed out and my doctor moved me to mushies and softs early (said it was messing with my hormones, hence the sobbing all the time), and the difference that real food made was amazing. Hang in there....there is a light ahead!

I was banded on the 1st March,so I am now a week in. My 3rd day was also my worst-oh the pain! It is getting better now,please dont regret it.Im sure you are just having a few post-op blues. As you begin to lose the lbs the feel good factor will kick in. Well done for taking control of your life. You will find answers to any doubts on this site,I find it helps me everyday.

Hang in there and give your body time to heal. I'm three weeks out and the swelling is gone, the incision healed on the outside, I can eat mushies, and I feel better than I have in years. Just keep doing what your doctor tells you to do. We have all been where you are and know how frustrating it is. You can do this. When you go back for your post op, you will be amazed at how much you have lost and it will make you feel much better. Whatever you do, don't get on the scales right now. You are swollen, and still have a lot of the fluids from the surgery in you now so you have probably gained a few pounds. That will go away in a few days.

Hang in there, we are all pulling for you!:lol:

It is so worth it!! I am eight months out and sixty pounds lighter. I love it. Just give it some time. It is a really big life style change, but I am sure glad I did it. Donna

Just want to reiterate what everyone is else is saying. It DOES get better! I was banded 2 weeks and 4 days ago. The pain is nothing but a memory now. Hang in there!!