Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Monday!!!almost on the other side.

Guest Linda

Guest Linda

I didn't think I would be this nervous. How much pain were you all in one week post op? Were you able to get out and drive or travel? Was anyone on a special diet the day before surgery?

Guest SeptemberBreeze

Linda - I had my surgery on a Saturday. Stayed overnight until Sunday and flew out Monday to go home. I was not in any real "pain". Just more tired. I arrived home on Monday and took it easy on Tuesday & Wednesday, but was back at work on Thursday. Again, I didn't have pain, just tired which is how you would feel after any surgery. Good luck - we will be thinking about you on Monday!!!!

Hey Linda, I just had surgery on Sept.3. The most pain I have is gas bubbles. When I stand up, I feel like I have an air bubble in my stomach for a minute, then it goes away. I also hurt a little on the right side, but it is not unbearable. I've been taking liquid tylenol for pain. I had gallbladder surgery 2 years ago, and when I woke up from it I was hurting REAL bad (gas), I was scared that this surgery was going to be like that, but from the time I woke up from surgery it was a minimal amount of pain. Good-luck, I will pray for you.

Hey Linda--

Good luck. I was a nervous wreck. Just did a lot of internal pep talks. Also at the point you're at now, I was just ready to get it over with!

My surgery was 8/28, Thursday. Came home Friday -- that was probably the worst day, but totally bearable. Mostly gas. And I'd hit the Lortab (pain killer) bottle as needed. Saturday, I actually drove (minus the pain killer). Very small distance. When people say every day is a little better, it's so true. By the time the Labor Day weekend was over and I went back to work Tuesday, I felt almost like myself again. Did 20 minutes on a treadmill that day!

Good luck Monday.

Elizabeth in ATL

Linda, I had my surgery on Wed., 8/27 and was home on Thurs., 8/28. I was pretty sore the first few days (not much gas pain, though), and I got tired *very* easily. But I was up and about on Friday, 8/29 - my mother-in-law and I went to GNC and Babies R Us and shopped! LOL I also went to the mall that Saturday and to a movie that Sunday. So what pain I had wasn't enough to slow me down too much. I only took the pain pills when I was going out and would be moving more or when I was going to bed, so I could rest well - the rest of the time I was able to manage without them. My doc did say not to drive for a few days (didn't specify what that meant, though), but I was able to drive back to work on Tuesday, 9/2 with no problems. I did find that just the drive in to work and getting from the parking garage to my office made me really tired, though - I was definitely ready for a nap at the end of the day! LOL

As for a special diet - my surgeon didn't require one. Some docs in this area require you to be on Clear liquids for 7 days before the surgery. Now *that* would have been tough!

Good luck on Monday! :)