Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone just packed up and left?

Hi Skyblu79, you have nothing keeping you from going, just that you're not sure where you want to move to. Make a checklist of things you want and don't want in a new place and then research the different parts of the country (if you hate snow and cold winters then Alaska would be out of the question! LOL). If you're going to do it this is the time! Trust me...I'd really like to try out Alaska but DH has NO desire to even think about it ;-(

heartfire, you must be in the coarsegold/oakhurst area...i lived outside coarsegold a long time ago..i am no longer in calif now...packed up on a whim and moved out of state in 2000. i went to utah and wyoming before moving to kansas city

Good guess. Oakhurst. DH and I have both been here since we were kids. He moved here from So. Cal. in '76 and we moved up from Fresno/Clovis in '79 after having moved down from No. Cal. We joke that we came from opposite ends of the state to meet in the middle! We love it here. Every time we think about moving, we just can't do it. Our families have all left but they all have to come visit here. Our desire is more for travel than moving anywhere.

Don't know if you keep up with the news around here but Oakhurst tried to incorporate with the elections this last month. Didn't happen. I'm sure they'll try again at some point. They've been talking about it for aeons.

Sky, you're getting some great advice. I think you should go for it! I agree with another poster that if you're thinking about it this hard and don't do it, when you're old and sitting in your rocker, you're going to regret not doing it or even attempting to do it.

Take care all!

Kind of funny since Vegas is the wedding capital!

I loved my $200 nuptials @ the Little White Wedding Chappel 7yrs ago...We watch the video every now and then and laugh at all the cheesy'ness.....

We go back to Vegas at least once a yr....Holds good memories:)

Kind of funny since Vegas is the wedding capital!

I loved my $200 nuptials @ the Little White Wedding Chappel 7yrs ago...We watch the video every now and then and laugh at all the cheesy'ness.....

We go back to Vegas at least once a yr....Holds good memories:)

Her Dad and I could have saved a bundle if she got married in Vegas, but she and we, really wanted a lot of family to attend and didn't think too many would be able to fly out.

A wedding ( no matter what kind or place you choose) is always so special. As you can see from one of my tickers, my son is getting married late Sept on Cape Cod ( they live in Ma, near boston), the best part is this time her family is paying for most of it. :angry:

Last time we paid for most of it!

[quote name=shortgal;

Her Dad and I could have saved a bundle if she got married in Vegas' date=' but she and we, really wanted a lot of family to attend and didn't think too many would be able to fly out.

A wedding ( no matter what kind or place you choose) is always so special. As you can see from one of my tickers, my son is getting married late Sept on Cape Cod ( they live in Ma, near boston), the best part is this time her family is paying for most of it. :angry:

Last time we paid for most of it![/quote]

Ya - My parents gave us the option (only girl) a wedding or a check....I took the check..HA!!

We had a big party the week afterwards w/family & friends (I was never one to want a big day wedding) & it was my husbands second :thumbup:

I do see your ticker!!!! You'll be slim & trim for your son's wedding - Love Cape Cod....been yrs since I've been there..

Yeah, slim and trim is the goal, but definitely worried about buying a dress. I'm short ( five feet even) and will need to be at least 150 to find a dress and I'll have to start looking by end of July, so there's time for alternations. Hope there's time. i would feel better if I could get to my first level of restriction. The band is working but not to it's potential.

I'm hungry between meals. At my last fill, I had a few days of being perfect. A small meal filled me and kept me satisified for a long time. It was so nice. So I think I'm close. I was just saying to hubby, I think I'm calling the Dr. tomorrow, to go in this week and get my next fill, if they have something available.

If our daughter still lived in Ct. we might have had to give her a check instead of the wedding, houses are so expensive here. When they bought in Vegas, it was still affordable, so we knew it wasn;t a choice between a wedding or a house.

I planned most of it, as she was in Vegas. All she really asked for was to be by the Water and we found a great place for the reception. It was a beautiful day in June and the cocktail hour was on a lawn that swept out to Long Island sound. It was a great day. Now our son will get married by the ocean, too. Seems to be a theme for us!

Pix, I agree about the 6 months of income if I just pick up and leave. I am really thinking I need to just save a little more $$ over the next couple of months. And I really prefer to find another job before I move. Either way I will still need moving expenses, rent, etc.

Betrthnever, one of the hardest parts is figuring out where I want to move. At least point, I am really leaning towards GA, but that may change. It would be the easiest place to move at this point.

Heartfire, you are right. Unless something great happens here in the next 3 months or my dream job comes my way, I am gone.

I did! I still can't believe it, but it was the best thing in the world for me.

I lived in Northern VA all my life, and up and moved to TX almost 2 years ago. I had a friend who moved w/me, so I wasn't completely alone. I was at the same job for almost 7 years, owned my house...I quit, sold it, and moved! I decided in March of 2006 and was living here and working here in June 2006.

That said, it wasn't overnight. I have a 10 year old daughter, and had been in a very long relationship. Things weren't going well with him and I kept trying to make it work. It didn't - and I discussed with my family the idea of moving. My daughter was up for it, because of the idea of being able to swim longer during the year.

I think if it's in your heart, follow it. I would have had a completely different life in VA, and I am so glad that I made the move.

Life is meant to LIVE! Have fun, go where you want! Who says you need to stay in one place forever???

Good for you. Make a plan and work the plan. Have some excitement in your life while you're young!

Gloucester, I am glad everything worked out for you in TX. I definitely don't want to stay in the same place forever.

Thanks Shortgal!!

Well, let me know if you ever end up in Vegas and we can meet and have a drink when I visit.

When I was 24, which is 26 years ago, I applied for jobs all over the country, found a job at a place I liked, packed up and moved from Michigan to Illinois. It was the hardest thing I ever did. But, it was also the best thing I ever did. I was able to figure out who I was, not who my family thought I should be. I was able to put a difficult past behind me, move forward, and discover all kinds of things about myself. I made wonderful friends, embarked on all kinds of adventures, and became the person I am today. Could I do it again? Probably not. But it was the perfect thing to do when I was single and needed to explore the world. Good luck with your decision.

I've never just picked and moved, but if I wanted to, I'd just job hunt in a bunch of places and when I found a place that was willing to give me some time to relocate, that's where I'd move, because I'd know I had a job. :rolleyes2:

Cota129, I'm glad everything worked out for you. I wish I had done it years ago. I wonder now why I have stayed this long. I guess out of fear and listening to other people.

Marimaru, I am definitely going to find another job first. I notice that no on others job relocation expenses anymore which stinks, but oh well. I am just going to keep searching for the right job and save up a little more money.

Thanks for the posts!! :rolleyes2: