Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Hi everyone...here is an update:

I was just beside myself Thursday night, so I called a friend who was able to get me touch with a different doctor on Friday. He was concerned and saw me right a way (and didn't even have office hours yesterday!!!). They wanted to know why no one had unfilled me. No kidding! I kept asking for that, but the other doctor said it wouldn't make a difference. Turns out, many slips can be corrected when unfilled!!!!!!!! After they unfilled me, they walked me personally down to radiology, did a live flouro Upper GI series again to see if unfilling made a difference. IT DID!!!! It helped a lot, but unfortunately, the slip is so bad, that I still have to have surgery. This doctor says it should be able to be fixed, either by tacking this one back up, or putting a different one in. He said worst case scenario, I would lose this one for a month or two and then would be able to get another one after I heal. He also talked about the Gastric Sleeve as an option for me. At this time, we are focused on getting me well, and surgery is Wednesday. I am feeling much better about things, and this doctor was so wonderful! He really eased my fears and said that I am "remarkably successful with the band"! That made me feel good. He couldn't believe I'd only had it for 9-10 months.

So for now, I have to stay on liquids and wait until Wednesday for surgery. At least I slept better last night, and I don't feel as much pressure in my stomach. He said the slip probably happened from being too tight for too long. You know, that is tough to know. How are we really supposed to know? I thought I was doing just fine.

Anyway, the other doctor that couldn't be bothered to see me won't be getting my money and I certainly will discourage anyone I know from seeing him. I'm glad I kept looking!

Thank you all so much for all your support. I can't tell you how much it means to me. I don't know yet what I will come out of surgery with--band or no band, but at least I will be taken care of.

~C

Oh...and CubsGirl,

You are right. This doesn't have to be the end of my weight loss journey. I just have to approach it from a different angle. It's very likely that I will not get to keep my band. I may not want to have it replaced in a few months. Who knows? I don't know that I want to go through all of this again. I love what my band did for me, and I wouldn't change ever getting it, but I am a little nervous now about how easy this slip happened. In a way I'm glad I have a few days to think about it.

~C

Hi everyone...here is an update:

I was just beside myself Thursday night, so I called a friend who was able to get me touch with a different doctor on Friday. He was concerned and saw me right a way (and didn't even have office hours yesterday!!!). They wanted to know why no one had unfilled me. No kidding! I kept asking for that, but the other doctor said it wouldn't make a difference. Turns out, many slips can be corrected when unfilled!!!!!!!! After they unfilled me, they walked me personally down to radiology, did a live flouro Upper GI series again to see if unfilling made a difference. IT DID!!!! It helped a lot, but unfortunately, the slip is so bad, that I still have to have surgery. This doctor says it should be able to be fixed, either by tacking this one back up, or putting a different one in. He said worst case scenario, I would lose this one for a month or two and then would be able to get another one after I heal. He also talked about the Gastric Sleeve as an option for me. At this time, we are focused on getting me well, and surgery is Wednesday. I am feeling much better about things, and this doctor was so wonderful! He really eased my fears and said that I am "remarkably successful with the band"! That made me feel good. He couldn't believe I'd only had it for 9-10 months.

So for now, I have to stay on liquids and wait until Wednesday for surgery. At least I slept better last night, and I don't feel as much pressure in my stomach. He said the slip probably happened from being too tight for too long. You know, that is tough to know. How are we really supposed to know? I thought I was doing just fine.

Anyway, the other doctor that couldn't be bothered to see me won't be getting my money and I certainly will discourage anyone I know from seeing him. I'm glad I kept looking!

Thank you all so much for all your support. I can't tell you how much it means to me. I don't know yet what I will come out of surgery with--band or no band, but at least I will be taken care of.

~C

Carol, I'm so happy for you and I'm glad you feel better. I'm sitting here dumbfounded that they didn't unfill you immediately to at least relieve the pressure and discomfort. I had just assumed they had done that. That's crazy! I'm so glad you found a doc you like and can trust. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Carol - I am so glad you found a different Dr and that you are good with how things are progressing. You will still be in my thoughts and prayers. Do let us know how Wednesday turns out.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Carol I'm so glad to hear you like your new doctor. I am truly sorry you are having to go through all of this. Too tight? wow! Sweetie you have done awesome. I am so freakin' proud of you!!!! I know this isn't the best news but I know you will prevail - you have found YOU again girl. The band helped you do that - now that has happened never let her go. You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to! Call me if you need to chat or need a shoulder...

Carol- I am happy to hear that there is a resolution to what you were experiencing. Congrats on finding a good doctor that listens to you. You will be fine and you will do great I am sure. Keep us up to date on whats going on.

Thanks everyone. I love you all so much! I will let you know how things go as soon as I can. I am a little nervous and really would like only one surgery for a resolution.

What do you all think about the sleeve?

~C

Thanks everyone. I love you all so much! I will let you know how things go as soon as I can. I am a little nervous and really would like only one surgery for a resolution.

What do you all think about the sleeve?

~C

I don't know that much about the sleeve; however I did just read an article in Nursing 2009 about several different weight loss surgeries and that was one. I think there is a thread on LBT regarding the sleeve. From what I hear you don't need as many follow-up appts because there is no further maintenance like with the band. I'm sure just like all WLS there are pros and cons. Good luck to you on Wed! I'll be thinking of you.

Carol - my Dr is one who has helped pioneer the sleeve. He uses it a great deal and actually tried to get me to do it but I chickened out. Wanted something I had more control over. But he has had great success with it and the people I've talked to who had it, love it. If things don't shape up for me in the next month, he's talking about going that route. Definitely look into it....

Happy Monday Ladies!!!

Carol - I'm so glad to hear you found another physician. You deserve somebody who listens to you and does what's best for your health! I'll say extra prayers on Wednesday.

Mom - How is the liquid diet going? Do you have lots of Protein Shake recipes?

Brandy - I saw your update on the Valentine's Day forum. Way to go!!! It took you awhile to get to Onederland, but no time at all to make it to 189.

Bea - Are you finished with the pouch test? Did it really help curb the carb cravings? Or, perhaps that wasn't an issue for you in the first place!

No change for me this week, still at 141. I ate quite a lot of Wheat Thins yesterday during the day, so hope to lose in a few days as I increase my Water and get rid of all that salt.

CC - thanks for asking...it's going but not happily. I am STARVING! I am using some good recipes and muscle milk has been a lifesaver. But if it helps...it's worth it.

Congrats to you on being so close to goal! I know you're excited! Hope to be where you are one of these days!

Bea - Are you finished with the pouch test? Did it really help curb the carb cravings? Or, perhaps that wasn't an issue for you in the first place!

Yes, the pouch test helped a lot. I thought maybe I needed a fill, but after the liquids, etc I'm feeling my normal restriction again. I'm back to being full on a smaller amount. I hadn't ever done the pouch test before, but I'm thinking it was a good thing for me. It really helped get me back on track as I was eating too many empty carbs as well. I'm not weighing myself until next week though because of TOM.

The first day on liquids was horrible, but the 2nd was easier. I just had to "white-knuckle" it on that day! :tongue:

I hope everyone is doing well :) I am going to spend the day at the spa then I leave for Hawaii! I am so excited I had to tell someone... Why else would I be up at 430 am lol I can't sleep. I have so much to do and I only have until 4pm today.

I am so happy to made my goal of being under 190 when I go... even Onederland I would of taken so it's icing on the cake.

I wish everyone well and will see you after the 15th.

Good morning...

I had surgery yesterday, and the doctor was able to put in a new band. I don't know which one I have, but he also moved my port for me. I really didn't think he could put me back together, but he did!

Gotta tell ya though...I've been on liquids for almost 2 weeks. It totally sucks and I'm starving. I wonder what his rules will be for diet progression? LOL

~C