Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Guys, I am new here and still in the beginning stages of this. Have my first appointment with the surgeon next week and I am a bit apprehensive albeit committed to getting it done. I weigh 360# and have struggled all my adult life with eating and my weight. At one time I was a competitive powerlifter, seems like a million years ago, but after many injuries I had to give it up. Never gave up the massive appetite though so here I am. Guess I am just looking for some encouragement from other guys who have gone thru this or are going thru it. I do have a former lover/friend who was one of the first in the country to get it done post FDA approval and she has been very supportive about my decision which helps. Well thats it for now, hope I havent ranted to mush and look forward to hearing from you

Hey Big Rick,

I lifted in high school too, but that was a looooong time ago! I was in the same boat, didnt know what to expect and had a million questions. I'm pretty fresh myself, banded Feb. 5th but your in the right place.

I only post here in the "Guys" section and the "Biker" section. I just feel better talking to guys & people I have something in common with. I've learned you can ask ANYTHING you want, just dont ask if you dont want an honest answer! I've read everything on here from your sex life, to wiping your butt with BBQ tongs! So ask away!

Like I said, your in the right place and your heading in the right direction. Keep us all posted how your doing. Best of luck to ya, Steve

I am almost 4 weeks post-op now lost a bunch of weight, went for a 4.6km walk this morning. I am saving about $100 a week on booze and food. Best thing I have ever done.

Hey Guys, I am new here and still in the beginning stages of this. Have my first appointment with the surgeon next week and I am a bit apprehensive albeit committed to getting it done. I weigh 360# and have struggled all my adult life with eating and my weight. At one time I was a competitive powerlifter, seems like a million years ago, but after many injuries I had to give it up. Never gave up the massive appetite though so here I am. Guess I am just looking for some encouragement from other guys who have gone thru this or are going thru it. I do have a former lover/friend who was one of the first in the country to get it done post FDA approval and she has been very supportive about my decision which helps. Well thats it for now, hope I havent ranted to mush and look forward to hearing from you

Hang in there. I don't know much about lifting as I have been overweight and obese for as long as I can remenber. The band has been a life saver. I just completed a year at my goal weight and abdominoplasty to rid myself of the excess skin. I couldn't be happier. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier. Best of luck to you.

Hey Jack,

You wont find the info about "BBQ tongs" in the "guys or biker" thread. It was back around X-Mas sometime I believe but dont recall where, I havent been the same since!

I cant help but think about it everytime I BBQ now . . . . . . .:laugh:

Thanks guys, I posted to this area specifically to get feedback from other men and see how you felt so I appreciate the response. I will be a frequent visitor here going forward

Wiping your butt with BBQ tons - an X-Mas miracle!

Welcome aboard, Big Rick. I'm sure you've made the right decision. I'm heading for the chop this week; at 473 lbs starting weight, I dwarf you!

You're definitely in the right place - you'll find information and support here, plus guys like Jack and Neal (ousooner - check out his photos) have really inspiring stories.

Welcome BigRick. I have lifted since hs and even considered going the amateur powerlifting route back about 10 yrs ago. Played sports all through hs and cc football. Like you, after I was done with the sports, I didn't give up the eating aspect.

Late in 2006, I decided to give lapband a look. After getting through the insurance obstacles, I was banded Aug 28, 2007. Just over 6 mos. I'm down almost 100 lbs (as you can see below on my ticker) and would be more if I didn't lift so much. I do cardio 7 days a week, lift 4 nights a week, and watch what I eat. This is the best tool ever for guys like us.

With your background, you should be able to get back in the gym and make an immediate difference post op. Don't give up and keep us posted. Good luck.

Also, ask away with any questions. As Steve said, you'll get honest answers.:laugh:

I was banded on 2-26-08 the surgery was not bad at all I am having Soups and protien shakes now and next week will be having soft foods. I thought this was going to be worst than it has been.

Bigrick alot of guys on this forum seem to have had similar problems like you me included. I hurt my back about 11 years ago and have gained weight ever since.

You need not worry too much about the surgery, it is no where near as bad as led to believe in some of these posts. Everyone experiences differant levels anxiety in the very beginning. I am only 6 days post op with minimal pain and no regrets.

I have lost a total of 61 lbs since the first consult in Sept 2007 (47 pre-op and 14 post op). Best thing ever I did for myself outside of having 3 kids.

Jack, I too hope to cut back on the monthly med bill. I am presently spending in the neighborhood of $430.00 a month out of pocket for meds.

I was competing until I was 40 years old and then had to quit after my 3rd surgery. Elbow, knee and shoulder, but I dont regret it as I truly loved being a human bulldozer. Now mostly I hike a lot with my dogs, at least until I took a fall just after thanksgiving and broke my leg(small bone, Fibula?) just finally feeling 100% again but now the snow keeps me inside. But yes I still have a ravenous appetite that hopefully the LB will help with and from what I have read here it should. I am looking forward to it.

My oldest Son can remember when I was a gym rat but knows it was oh so long ago. He is 23 and my youngest son is 17. I had Afibb and have just recently been released by my Cardiologist to resume exercising (my heart is back to a normal rhythm). We plan to start working out together at a new gym close to the house. It will be good for us to do this together because these guys will push "the old man" to get healthier.

My nickname is "Widetrack". I got this from a guy at work and it stuck. I was 310 lbs most of my adult life at 6'1" tall. The last 11 years I added another 100 lbs. I also was a competative arm wrestler in my early twenties.

I feel so much better just by losing 50+ lbs in the last 5 months. Can't wait to lose another 150 lbs to see how I feel then.

Big Rick-

I am getting banded tomorrow morning, so I'll get back to you in a couple of days and give you the "skinny" on how it goes.

As far as the process of getting this far, I really think once you are committed to doing it, as you seem to be, you have to select a surgeon you trust and go for it. I am using Dr. Ren at NYU in New York, who is touted as one of the leaders in this surgery.

I too am hoping to get physical again, but have spent the majority of the past 25 years as a business guy eating and drinking too much and entertaining customers all the time. Now it is time to focus on me!

Good luck, I am sure I will be hearing more from you soon, and I'll fill you in on how tough (or easy) it is.

Rick - this has been the right choice for me. At 338 lbs (6'3") i was very active - gym (weights & cardio), tennis, softball, you name it. I just always had a ravenous appetitie and could eat at will (what do hunger and eating have to do with each other anyway???). I am almost 3 weeks post op, dropped 30 + lbs, havn't any any caffeine, booze (another killer for me) and my blood pressure has fallen pretty dramatically. Day after surgery I was at he gym doing cardio and a little over a week ago began lifting again. Played tennis last week as well. This has been a great experience and only wish I did it sooner. I'm sure you will have a great experience with it as well, like so many others on the guys thread..

For me it wasn't weights, but I played soccer in high school and college. Always had a big appetite, but would easily run it off. My soccer career ended when I tore an ACL in my junior year and with the inactivity, the weight started piling on.