Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Harley, What a beautiful picture of the mare and foal. You are blessed to live in a place where you can see miracles like that when walking around your neighborhood.

Christine

It's funny, because we do live in the city (well, by Utah standards anyway)......but there is pasture in back of our house and they have "grandfathered" the owner because the pasture was there before the zoning changed......He has three horses and a bunch of ducks back there.....I love listening to them.....except when they tease my dogs....then it's annoying!

Well, tomorrow is my surgery day! I have to be at the hospital at 10:30. I was really hoping for an earlier time, but I am so glad it's finally here!

Today was tough. I spent the day with family. Easter brunch had soooo many goodies. I was even responsible for making two of the cassaroles. Everything smelled and looked so good. I had my Clear Liquids today and that will be it for me.

I am kind of nervous about tomorrow. I think it's the idea that I will not be in control and will not know if something bad is happeneing. This whole heart problem thing has me a bit freaked out, but I have confidence in my doctors and will just have to leave it to them and to God.

My husband will be taking me to the hospital and my 7yr old will be with him since there is no school tomorrow. Our two little ones will go to daycare. (Everything must go well, they need their mommy.) Did I mention that I am nervous?

I bought a case of Isopure. I mixed up the flavors and will send DH back for more of the one's I like.

Does anyone have a post op restriction on lifting? My MD says nothing heavier that a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. This will be impossible for me. I will do my best, but I know I cannot possible stick to this. My daughter is 22 months old and needs to be lifted into her crib and her carseat. DH is home this week, but he leaves for Hong Kong on Sunday...then I'm on my own.

Thank you guys for being here. I don't know what I would do without you at this point.

Christine

nycm00, good luck tomorrow. I was in and back in recovery so quick that I did not know what happened. As far as the weight restriction, I was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk also so I can't help you there. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Christine....everything will be just fine!

We've blazed and leveled the trail.....so smooth roads lie ahead for you!

I was told nothing over 10 pounds for the first two weeks, nothing over 20 for the next two weeks.......

The nerves are understandable....it's a big deal to us....but once you get to the hospital, you'll realize how routine it is for them.....everyone knows thier job and just seems to get it done!

I'll look forward to reading your somewhat groggy post about all the nerves for nothing!!

Yeah, Christine - enough with the nerves! You've seen us all take our turns, and we've all been fine. And I went in at about 450 lbs, positively dwarfing you!

Your cardiologist is being very careful - if they thought there was any chance that you'd have a problem with surgery, you think they'd let you go through it? It's elective surgery, not an emergency - you could have it six months from now! If there were any issue of safety, ANY ISSUE AT ALL, they'd make you wait until they felt they had you in souped up condition before letting you have the surgery.

It's a piece-of-cake surgery, they're giving you the thumbs up, this time tomorrow you'll be banded, so No More Whining! You're going to be fine, and then you're going to be better than fine!

Except this time tomorrow you're going to be Whining About Gas Pain!

The lifting thing you're going to have to be careful with. As, like, a bachelor, I don't know how high-functioning a 22 month old is. Are they big? Do you think the baby can sleep with you in your bed? Moms here will have more insight into this than me, but I'm thinking it might be easier to boost the Little Bundle of Joy up onto the bed, and help him/her down, rather than having to heft them into and out of a crib.

MOMS OF THE MASTER THREAD UNITE! Use your Momly Powers to advise Christine!!!

As much as possible, you want to avoid picking things up. I believe that the problem isn't that your sutures will tear, but that the deeper layers of the wound might not heal as tightly, and you might, years down the road, develop a weakness in the lining of the abdomen, and a hernia there.

Still, you have, what, five days with your husband on Tyke Hefting duties, so that's a good healing start. Still, the less you have to lift for the first month, the better - our guideline was nothing over 20 lbs for one month, and much lighter for the first couple of weeks.

Christine,

Good luck tomorrow. I know you'll do just fine.

As for the lifting thing. I agree you need to be really careful with that. As Fenton suggested you might be able to let the little one sleep with you or one of the other siblings or even make a pallet on the floor by your bed. You might want to start that even before your husband leaves.

Get your 7 year old to help as much as possible with lifting things. It will probably be good for the ego there anyway to know you need the help.

For my own report I will say yesterday was the worse day but it wasn't bad. I did have more swelling and bruising and the swelling made it harder to get in the liquids. I did a lot better with it today however.

I plan to go back to work tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not to soon. I am starting to feel hungry from time to time now, but it quickly disappears.

I'm beginning to look forward to being able to add the mushies but I know I still have 9 days to go for that stage. Those shakes are really starting to be hard to take.

T

Thanks for the calming words!

You are right about the lifting. I think I have rigged up a syatem where I can teach my DD to climb intothe crib and over the bar. I'll just coach her and get it all worked out before DH leaves for Hong Kong. I'll put a step in my care that she can climb on to get in and out. And I am sure my eldest DS will love being able to help me out over the next few weeks. He's so looking foward to having a thin, energetic, healthy mom. This will be a small price to pay.

I have a large hernia from my previous c-section and I am sure it is from too much lifting after my surgery. I would love to have it repaired tomorrow, but my doc said it's too big. She also said that I might want to hang on to it so that insurence will help cover a Tummy Tuck. When she said that I almost fell off my chair. Maybe that will be in 2010!

I am signing off and will post on Tuesday when I get home.

Christine

OK, now that Day 5 post-op is over, I tried my best to get in 64 oz of liquids plus my 60 grams of Protein. I feel miserable, not sure if I have a gas bubble or what, I just took a gas-X strip in hopes that will help. I have been sipping on Water and Protein Drinks all day except for when I ate 1/2 cup of Soup twice today and I just cannot get down the last 4 oz of this last Protein Drink tonite because I feel so full. That means I'm short on protein today, I can't imagine what this is going to be like once I start to eat some real food and have to wait 30 minutes before I eat and an hour afterwards before I can drink anything. How does everyone get 64 oz of liquid plus your protein in, in one day?

Teri, I hear you. I'm only 3 days out and I haven't been successful yet in getting it all in. I did better today, but not anywhere close to the amount we are suppose to. I'm thinking as the swelling goes down it may get easier because yesterday I was barely able to get one of the Protein shakes down and only about 48 oz of liquids.

I've manage two juice bottles and several cups of Water, 1/2 cup of Soup and one Protein shake today so that is progress for me. But I do feel to full.

T

I think in the early days - unless it's what you're craving, Soup is a waste of time, particularly if it's clear soup, which has minimal Protein.

Let's be frank, in terms of what we get to "eat"/drink, the first few days post-op pretty much suck. Try not to separate the 64 oz and the protein! Again, I love Isopure because it's a way of getting in both fluids AND Protein. 1/2 cup of clear soup gives you just a half cup of liquid, without much in the way of protein. It's better to be sipping at that Isopure and that Water, and maybe a thinned Slimfast Optima, during the course of the day.

Also, look, it's not the end of the world if you don't get in enough protein for three or four days. Just keep drinking your Water, the swelling will go down, it'll get easier, and the fluids will go down easier, your hydration will improve and so will your protein intake.

That 64 oz is the ideal, those 80 g of protein are the ideal, but, practically, it's going to be hard to take that in in the first few days. Just hang in there, and know that it'll get easier and easier, and soon you'll be clamouring for steak!

And Terri: it's going to be WEEKS before you have to worry about timing your Fluid intake before and after your solid food intake! You have to have your first fill before that! Just relax, let everything calm down in your guts.

You're going to be just fine!

6 days post op, getting liquid in is not an issue, and getting in a little more than 1/2 of the Protein needed. Hoping to do better this week, am starting full liquids and the variety is there.

gas-x was such a help a few times... so glad i learned about it from this site

A bit sore at the incision sites and still a bit painful getting out of a chair or getting out of bed. good thing is I am out of work for the next 2 weeks. Plan on getting in alot of walking

Lynn, one thing that you might try when getting out of bed or out of a chair is clutching a firm pillow or cushion to your tummy. If in bed, roll gently onto your side, clutch that pillow to you, slide your legs off the bed, and gradually come up to a sitting position. From there, it's easy to push to standing.

That 64 oz is the ideal, those 80 g of Protein are the ideal, but, practically, it's going to be hard to take that in in the first few days. quote]

Well Fenton this is one thing bad about being a man. Us women only have to have 70 grams of Protein. :crying:

Fenton thanks for the words of encouragement and advice about the Soup intake. I was doing soup because it was a warm substance and I was thinking of it as a "meal". I think you're probably right about just sipping away at Water and Protein drinks unless I'm absolutely in the mood for soup. I sure don't want that miserable feeling again that I had last nite. I've already started my protein drink this morning so I'll see how today goes. I'm also glad to hear that my 30 minutes before and hour after no liquids doesn't really start til I can get some restriction, so we don't have to worry about waiting that long even after we start "real food" at the mushy stage?

thanks Fenton, I tried the pillow this AM, is great to get help out of bed and into bed without that terrible pulling and burning feeling at the incision.

As far a weight lifting restrictions, I was told no more than 10# for the first 4 weeks, will talk to my Dr at appt on 4/4 to see if she will change at all.

i am enjoying my time home from work, getting in alot of reading and watching tons of movies, as well as getting in those walks.