Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fellow Albertans Help Me!!!!

I had my band put in dec 22/08 by Dr. Martinez (works with Dr.Ortiz) in Tijuana, Mexico. I admit I was really worried about it at first - but they put me at ease. The clinic was cleaner than anything I have been to (Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie). My cordinator arranged everything for me, I just had to set up the flight which was only $480. From what I have been reading on here - the diet they put you on post op seems to make the most sense too - I cant believe what some doctors say you can do.

Anyways - it all went perfectly. Alberta Health Care paid for $1700 of it, and my husbands health insurance through work paid for the rest (thought I would give it a shot and call to see if they would - they said as long as my family doctor gave a letter they would cover it) - the money was in my back by the time I came back.

Also - I am lower bmi and they were great. They arrange for your hotel and everything. I really enjoyed it there so I am going to go back for my first fill.

ALSO - before I went - I spoke with Dr.Beckham at the Grande Prairie hospital...as long as you get an order from your family doctor they will do the fills free for you :)

Hi Mansaw,

Congrats on your new band! Lucky you even getting it paid for by your husbands heath care.

I have a family member who lives in Alberta and is looking into getting banded but the cost has been the stumbling block.

Could you tell me the name of your heath care provider? She may have the same one....never know.

Again congrats

Susanne, how did you find Dr. Mitchell and was there a cost to you?

Hi Angie I am considering having the Lap Band, but want to make sure I will have a fill Dr. in Calgary. How do you get ion touch with Dr Mitchell and what is the charge. I am leaning toward Mexico for the surgery. Thanks for the info holidaygirl

yeah phoned Dr. Daviduck today and he won't do out of country. Dr. Mitchell charges $5,000 now for 5 years for out of country patients no matter how many fills he does. I would rather drive to Saskatoon and pay the lady there. I just hate that they are monopolizing saying they won't do out of country. If there iscomplications AHC still pays for that even if it was out of country.

Dr. Mitchell is back to charging $150/fill and is accepting patients banded in Mexico.

Hi

Just wondering if you've had your surgery yet and if not where your going?? I'm probably going to Dr Ortiz in Mexico once I've lost the 5% which should be a couple of weeks.

I live in Edmonton and Fort McMurray so am looking for info on fills etc as well

Cheers

Julie

Hi there,

My husband was just banded two weeks ago and we are looking for fill doctors in Calgary. Can you give me some names? We would really appreciate it!!

Hi Angie I am considering having the Lap Band, but want to make sure I will have a fill Dr. in Calgary. How do you get ion touch with Dr Mitchell and what is the charge. I am leaning toward Mexico for the surgery. Thanks for the info holidaygirl

Hi

holidaygirl,

Please let me know if you find someone in Calgary who is taking patients for fills.

I am also from south of Calgary and am looking into travelling to Mexico for Lap band. I am leaning towards Dr.Ortiz as it seems like he is notorious for lap band surgery. I have just emailed them requesting more info. If I find anything out I will let you know!

Do you know where you want to go?

Hi

I am now booked with surgery with Dr Oritiz and I have to say everyone I have spoken with at the centre has been so helpful. We were thinking of having a few days break there as well and one of the ladies has emailed me with places to visit in San Diego and Tijuana.

I am more than happy to be going there in March wooo hoooo

Will let you know how I get on if your worried about going out of country.

Cheers

Julie

Hi

holidaygirl,

Please let me know if you find someone in Calgary who is taking patients for fills.

I am also from south of Calgary and am looking into travelling to Mexico for Lap band. I am leaning towards Dr.Ortiz as it seems like he is notorious for lap band surgery. I have just emailed them requesting more info. If I find anything out I will let you know!

Do you know where you want to go?

I was banded in Tijuana, Mexico by Dr. Ramos Kelly Jan 25, 08. $7500.00 plus cost of flight.

My surgery went fine, no complications, home in 3 days.

Don't worry about the language barrier as there is always someone there who speaks English.

The care was excellent and I get my fills here in Saskatoon.

The director of the clinic is coming to Saskatoon May 3, 08 to do information sessions and fills, might be worth your while to come this way for more info.

Contact me for more info.

:tongue_smilie:very excited bout a fill doc in Saskatoon, can u send me the doc's info please? i am in Moose Jaw and want to get the banding but till i know i can have fills near to home. thx in advance:thumbup::thumbup:

stella-ella-olla

Hi,

There are 2 fill nurses in Saskatoon.

They charge $75.00 per fill or de-fill and are both excellent.

Michelle Wright 306-244-7004

or

Lorna King 306-374-8162

There is a fill nurse in Regina as well, but I don't know her name or #.

Put a request on the Canada section of this forum and I'm sure someone will tell you.

Hey Mica. I am in Saskatoon and seriously considering going to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico for the surgery. Who do you have do you fills in Saskatoon, what is the cost and are you happy with it? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi there - not sure if you mean May 8, 2009 or not? if so, how do I get information about when, where they are coming to and how i can make sure i attend - thanks! I am in Saskatoon