Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fellow Albertans Help Me!!!!

Please help me, I have been reading this site for what seems like a life time and I can't come to a decision as to where to go to have the Lap band done...

Where did you go to have your Lap Band done? And who did you find locally that would do your fills? Did you find it difficult to find a doctor who would do your fills?

Thanks in advance

Heather

Hi!

I'm from Grande Prairie and I went to Toronto for my surgery. I paid 15,000 and I get my fills in Calgary or St Albert. (New Drs seem to be popping up everywhere...but I've found my "sweet spot" and don't need any more adjustments)

My surgery was done at The surgical Weight Loss Centre, by Dr Cobourn. Toronto Weight Loss Obesity Surgery Lap Band Bariatric Surgeon Gastric Bypass

I seriously considered Mexico, but opted to pay more and get the best I could here in Canada. (It went a long way toward comforting and reassuring my family and friends as well) TLBC in Toronto was also ranked high on my list of possible choices. I ended up deciding on Dr Cobourn because I loved how often he would call and talk to me directly about ANY of my concerns.

I am SUPER happy with my band, and I wish you the BEST of luck in taking this big step toward health and happiness!

If there's anything else I can tell you about my experience, let me know.

Take care!

Sunshine:biggrin2:

hi , i'm from the grandeprarie area as well. I am being banded o april3/o8 in aurora colorado by dr. gerald kirshenbaum. the price is 9950usdollars.today it works out to aprox 9800canadian dollars.youcan find out more under drs. he comes highly recomended. all is included plus 3 fills. afterthat the fills are15$ each. because of travel costs i do not plan to go down for fills.tosunshine girl have you ever heard who does the fills in gp the toronto clinic said on thier webpage that they have someoe in gp. it would be so nice to have some one so close for all kinds of reasons . who do you use in st abert? i asumed my closest would be reddeer with dr. farries. thanks. lizzieann

Good Afternoon Ladies,

After two years of looking around I have finally made the decision to be banded, I am going to Dr. Kirshenbaum as well. My surgery is scheduled for April 23.

I found that the decision was very tough as there is a lot of very good docs out there! My hubby however put his foot down (which doesn't happen very often) when I mentioned going to Mexico.

GOOD LUCK ON THE DECISION!!

Why can't I make a solid decision...I swear I'm back and forth every day. 1 day I'm forsure going to Mexico then the next day I'm going to Denver then the naxt I'm going to Toronto.....I just want somone to make this decision for me. lol :confused2:

Why can't I make a solid decision...I swear I'm back and forth every day. 1 day I'm forsure going to Mexico then the next day I'm going to Denver then the naxt I'm going to Toronto.....I just want somone to make this decision for me. lol :confused2:

I also considered Toronto. And had a very fleeting thought about Mexico, I mean fleeting, like in one brain cell and out the next :biggrin2: . There are 2 of us that are going and 32 grand selfpay is pretty rich. The concerns about Mexico would include language barriers and possible substandered care . Also travel to Denver was vey cheep for us. It's easy to second guess ourselves but i found once I started working with the Denver Clinic it all settled down for us good luck.

lizzieann

I must say sphynxmomma that I am totally with lizzieann on this one. I for a brief moment considered Mexico and then thought to myself; I don't speak fluent Spanish, their standards are considerably "different" than ours, you're a long way from home if something happens and medical bills can pile up in a hurry.

I suggest you talk to Natalie at Dr. Kirshenbaums office, she's a great lady and in fact has been banded by Dr. Kirshenbaum herself! You are also much closer to home, you speak the language and there isn't much of a cost difference.

In the end the decision is yours but make sure you do your homework!!

Hi,

I am curious if you made a decision? I am also debating between dr. K and Toronto. My fear is that if something goes wrong with the surgery in the US then as a Canadian I have no insurance.

I have since moved but I lived in Cold Lake and saw Doctor Davie in Bonnyville, he does work out of Edmonton but did travel out my way. He was really great and I would recommend him.

Sherri

Kitkat

I was banded by Dr. K yesterday and my daughter today. We are in our hotel room and doing very well. I highly recomend Dr.k

lizziean

I was banded in Tijuana, Mexico by Dr. Ramos Kelly Jan 25, 08. $7500.00 plus cost of flight.

My surgery went fine, no complications, home in 3 days.

Don't worry about the language barrier as there is always someone there who speaks English.

The care was excellent and I get my fills here in Saskatoon.

The director of the clinic is coming to Saskatoon May 3, 08 to do information sessions and fills, might be worth your while to come this way for more info.

Contact me for more info.

I was banded in Calgary. Dr Phillip Mitchell. Love my band and I love Dr Mitchell. He is an excellent surgeon. And a nice man to boot!

Please help me, I have been reading this site for what seems like a life time and I can't come to a decision as to where to go to have the Lap band done...

Where did you go to have your Lap Band done? And who did you find locally that would do your fills? Did you find it difficult to find a doctor who would do your fills?

Thanks in advance

Heather

I live in Calgary and went to see Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I was quite apprehensive about going to Mexico until one of the support people from TLBC told me that a doctor from Mexico just finished doing training for one of the doctors. I also met three people who had been banded in Mexico, and they spoke of nothing but good, but they also said that you do have to do your research before going to Mexico, or any clinic for that matter. I read everything I could about Dr. Ortiz on-line from various websites as well as called the maker of the lapband. All reports were excellent, so I decided to book for November 6, 2006. I had 100 excess pounds to lose.

The clinic was exceptionally clean and the staff was excellent. There were absolutely no issues with language as everyone but one nurse spoke very fluent English. The care I received was better than at any hospital in Canada or the US.

I have had no problem with aftercare here in Calgary as I have the choice of three fill doctors here. If at this point I would need the band replaced or fixed, it would all be covered by Alberta Health and would be done by one of the four surgeons here in Calgary. Dr. Ortiz will also do any repair work free of charge, I would just need to pay for the flight. If something were to happen, I don't know which way I would go.

So far I have lost 71 pounds and hope to lose another 15-20, but would actually like to hit the 100 pounds lost mark. I know there are lots of people who think it would be terrible to go to a clinic in Mexico, but I looked at it like this - Dr. Ortiz does no other surgeries but lapband. He is very skilled at it and is committed to that surgery being the best for patients. There are no surgeons in Alberta that only do lapband surgeries, so Dr. Ortiz would have more experience than any one who is close to me. He complication rate would be much lower because of his experience. He did also train all the surgeons in Montreal, so he is very familiar with Canadian standards and taught within them. Just my two cents.

Julie

Nov 6/06

258/187/158

Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana, Mexico