Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Mexico

I'm completely new to all of this...I know there are many in just my position, and I'm hoping you'll (yet again!) be willing to help. I'm in process with two doctors: Rumbaut in Monterrey; and Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana. I'm really torn! I feel as though I've done the research, read all the postings, verified credentials...but it's challenging to get a sense of what's true and what isn't, especially when it's from afar.

On the surface, Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana has the credentials that make me feel a little more secure...but I really don't know. :blush:

I'd truly appreciate any help in deciding! OH...my BMI is 37/38, but my insurance company denied me because I don't have diabetes or hypertension. Scary high cholesterol, severe back issues, severe joint pain, and sleep disturbance weren't enough I guess. So I'll be paying out of pocket.

I'm hoping to schedule the procedure with SOMEONE :thumbdown: in mid-April. Again, I really appreciate any help with this decision!

Hi. I'm having surgery with Dr. Ortiz this Friday! I'll let you know how it goes and how I felt about him and his staff. I've been the skeptic since the beginning so you don't have to worry about any sugar-coating here.

So far, they've all been great and extremly helpful.

Oh my goodness, that's so exciting! (and, yes, a bit scary as well) It's healthy that you are a skeptic...it's still a significant procedure and you want to be aware of all the issues. Can you tell me what made you decide to go with Dr. Ortiz? Are you flying into San Diego? I'll be thinking of you!

Best of luck,

Alyssa

On the surface, Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana has the credentials that make me feel a little more secure...

Interesting, because I feel that way about Rumbaut. :) But I'm still hopeful that I can work the insurance angle even though my company has an exclusion for weight loss surgery. It appears there are some loopholes.

OH...my BMI is 37/38, but my insurance company denied me because I don't have diabetes or hypertension. Scary high cholesterol, severe back issues, severe joint pain, and sleep disturbance weren't enough I guess. So I'll be paying out of pocket.

Have you tried appealing? Some insurance companies just reject out of hand the first time. Also, make sure your doctor documented ALL your co-morbidities.

Well I did a lot of research and it came down to Dr. Ortiz and one other doctor. I spoke to their patient coordinators several times and wrote all the patients I could who had testimonials or could be used as references.

In the end, Dr. Ortiz kept coming up on top. ALL his reference wrote back and had great things to say, while none of the others replied, and no matter how many questions I came up with, I always got a quick reply from all his staff and they never got tired of me (and believe me, I was a pain, and wrote and bugged them non-stop for weeks), the other office, took a couple days to get back to me each time I wrote and was very blasé. So far, I'm really pleased.

I finally decided to go for it, when I went through his credentials and read that he actually teaches American doctors how to use the band, fixes other doctor's botched up work, and is one of a few that can do the band on young people. It doesn't hurt either that he was on Oprah recently and, I don't know about you, but I love Oprah and her philosophies on dieting, and if she’s cool with him enough to have him on her nationally syndicated show, then I think that puts him at a higher level, in my book.

Anyway, yes, I’m flying to San Diego. I live near Sacramento in California so it’s a short one hour flight. Are you local or where are you coming out of?

I’m also like you where my BMI isn’t high enough to have my surgery in the states but I have diabetes and high blood pressure so if I don’t do something now, it’s only going to get worse. I wanted surgery in the states but other than the money, I think I feel more comfortable with Dr. Ortiz than any of the doctors in my local area. In fact, when I was Googling “lapband” I saw some nasty articles about some of the band centers around Sacramento/S.F, never saw anything like that w/ Dr. Ortiz’s name on it. ….HMMMM.

Sorry this was such a long reply.

In fact, when I was Googling “lapband” I saw some nasty articles about some of the band centers around Sacramento/S.F

Care to share who? I'm looking for a surgeon in this area and narrowing it down to just one is nerve wracking!

Hi Amayqt (and anyone else!),

I'll be flying to San Diego from Chicago on April 17. I'm confirmed for April 18 with Dr. Ortiz--if I send in my deposit within the next three days. It's tricky figuring out what to do with my two boys, ages 9 and 11, since vacation starts for them on 4/18. My husband is a physician, so (of course!) I'd prefer that he's with me.

I scheduled a phone consultation between Dr. Ortiz and my husband on Wednesday night...my husband read everything on the website as well as Dr. Ortiz's resume. I know he has some questions. If you're interested, I'll keep you posted.

Just curious: since you have hypertension and diabetes, did they ask you for any of your medical records? did they require a stress test? do any of your friends/family think it's crazy to go to Tijuana for a medical procedure?

Did you ever find any stats regarding complications? Maybe I'M being the skeptic, but sometimes it seems that most of the posts are so glowing, it almost makes me wonder if they are "plants." I know that almost sounds a little crazy! But regardless, I was relieved to hear that you made direct contact with some of the people behind the "testimonials."

I have a friend who lives in Southern California; she's Mexican. Tonight she told me she's going to visit Dr. Ortiz's center next week and will report back. I hope you'll let me know, too, what your experience is like.

Now I'm the one that's sorry for the long post! But it's comforting to know you're going through all of this, too.

Thank you so much!

Alyssa

Wow, a lot of great questions. I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Your situation with your boys sounds very familiar. I've had, and still have, a lot of worries about my daughter and how I'm going to take care of her after the surgery. She's three and loves to be picked up and carried everywhere, but she's a big girl. I read that you're not supposed to pick up anything over 10 pounds for a few weeks after surgery so I struggled with decided whether to even go through with the surgery, but decided I had to do this for me. My husband and I decided that he would stay behind and tend to my daughter and that I would go have my surgery with my sister (she decided to get banded on the same day so it worked out great). I know it would be ideal to have your husband there, but maybe you can take someone else or have a grand-parent watch the boys? I asked Lori (pc) if anyone ever came alone and she said 50% of the patients that have surgery there come alone simple due to logistics or not wanted to share this experience with anyone else.

I haven't told anyone, other than my sister and husband, that I'm having surgery in Mexico. Funny, but I know what they're reaction will be "OMG, Mexico??? Have you lost your mind?" and frankly I don't want to hear it. Its not going to change my decision either way, and I don't feel like going through all the research with each and every person to prove Dr. Ortiz's abilities. I'd love to be able to share this time in my life with them and have their support, but I doubt they'd understand anyway since I come from a long line of extremely skinny asian women (people who've never had a weight problem have a really hard time empathizing with those who struggle everyday with it). So that's kind of how I handled that situation. Probably not ideal, but I figure this is private to me and on a "need to know basis".

Thank you for offering to keep me posted. Its great that your husband is going to talk to Dr. Ortiz, please do keep me posted!

They didn't require copies of my medical records. That's something I thought would be a basic too, but sent me a big packet of information I needed to fill out. Health summaries, medications etc. It pretty much covered everything. If you're over 40BMI's they require a doctor's note and an exact weigh in at a Dr. office. My BMI is 34, so I got away with the paperwork. The stress test, EKG's, psychological evaluation etc. will all be done the day before my surgery.

Did you ever find any stats regarding complications?

Yes, the average complications rate is 3 or 5%, I can't remember exactly. I asked for all of Dr. Ortiz's stats and was emailed an answer of <2% for slippages,errosion, infection and 0% fatalities due to the band and if I can recall correctly, I believe they stated that Dr. Ortiz has done over 450 band this year alone (2008), don't quote me on the exact number because I'm sure its not an exact, but it was somewhere around there.

I know that almost sounds a little crazy! But regardless, I was relieved to hear that you made direct contact with some of the people behind the "testimonials."

There are peopel right on this site that you could email and ask for reference from, not just the people they give you names to. I didn't want to go with just those indiviuals because, of course, they're not going to give you the names of people with issues. I found my own people to reference, and you should do the same. It brings a lot of peace of mind to hear other people's thoughts, feelings and experiences with the man who's going to have your life in his hands. I'll definately let you know everything that happens with me and my sister.

If you don't mind, I'd love to add you to my friends list so we can keep in touch regarding our progress.

I'll send you the information on an email. I hate bad mouthing centers on these types of forums because you never know who got their surgeries done where and I don't want to offend anyone.

Did you ever find any stats regarding complications?

Yes, the average complications rate is 3 or 5%, I can't remember exactly. I asked for all of Dr. Ortiz's stats and was emailed an answer of <2% for slippages,errosion, infection and 0% fatalities due to the band and if I can recall correctly, I believe they stated that Dr. Ortiz has done over 450 band this year alone (2008), don't quote me on the exact number because I'm sure its not an exact, but it was somewhere around there.

I doubt these % stats. All of them. This surgeon doesn't do enough follow up to know the true answers anyway. I personally would use someone else. I wanted to be in a hospital and NOT a clinic and didn't want to be part of the revolving door of patients. This is my opinion.

I chose Dr. Rambaut. I asked for a list of refrences 4 out of 5 responded and gave glowing reviews The HOSPITAL he works for is a state of the art facility and puts alot of whats here in the U.S. to shame. Its the OLNY hospital in Mexico the PRESIDENT requests to go to (if needed) when visiting Mexico. I have had 2 friends banded there both lost 100+ pounds with great results. They go to Dr. Ortiz CLINIC for fills. I was impressed with Dr. Rambaut .04 complication rate. He is also banded.

There have been lots of threads concerning Dr.'s in MX, and a poster by the screenname WasABubbleButt---has an awesome list of questions to ask, and ways to check out the Mexican Surgeons. Try doing a search of the site, I bet you get more info than you realize!!!

Good Luck with whoever you choose!!!

Kat

I doubt these % stats. All of them. This surgeon doesn't do enough follow up to know the true answers anyway. I personally would use someone else. I wanted to be in a hospital and NOT a clinic and didn't want to be part of the revolving door of patients. This is my opinion.

Well, like I said, I wasn't sure about the exact percentages but the national average for band complications is 3 to 5%. I looked all over for the email the coordinator sent me with their stats on it, and must have deleted it, but it was 2-4%. These of course are the patients that he's aware of. I don't think that any doctor (U.S or international) can be expected to know and/or apply other complication numbers to their stats if they're not aware of the problem. You can email the center directly if you want more information, obesitycontrolcenter.com" rel="">lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com, which I would recommend to anyone looking for a surgeon simply for their own peace of mind.