Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phone cards in Mexico

So I'm planning my little trip to Mexico soon, and I need to be able to call home. I am assuming my cell phone won't work from TJ, and if it does it would be quite a bill, I'm sure. So I have heard it suggested that I get a Phone card with pre-paid minutes to and from Mexico. ??? Anyone with experience with this? The corner gas station has advertised them at the gas pump, but I have no idea...do I have to use a pay phone? Can I call from the hospital room? Do I pay by the minute? Duhhh...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I live in Arizona where there are many "commuters" and "workers" that send the cards home to their families while they work. It is known to me that the phone cards that are US/Mexico compatible can be dialed by dialing a 800 number in the US. Which means, if you can dial the 800 # from the phone, you can use the card.

Also, the cards are cheaper here in the grocery stores and convenient stores rather than the gas station.

Also, my landscaper knows I am going to Tijuana and he is from Nogales. He suggested about a week ago that I get my phone card from www.callingcardplus.com but I haven't done it yet. He said you can just keep renewing the card.

Hope this helps.

Kathy, it all depends on who your cell phone carrier is. I have Sprint and my cell phone worked just fine anywhere I was in TJ , my husband has Cingular and his would not work at all anywhere in TJ.

costco, sells a great phone card. I but it all the time and it is rechargeable. 670 minutes for $19.99 and you can use it for international calls. Also Kathy you can call your cell phone company and tell them you are traveling to Mexico, some companies can give you a code to dial or download something to make it possible to use your phone in TJ, it all depends on your carrier.

My cell phone works from there IF (and this is the hitch) I'm at the right altitude. So, in the hotel Kuri uses...which I don't like anyway...it doesn't work, except at particular locations on the highest floor. But at the Gran Hotel (or is it Grand Hotel?), the really tall twin towers, it works fine.

And, even on my old account, which did have roaming charges, the phone thought we were on the US side and worked fine.

Thanks you guys, I have roaming charges...Alltel, and as long as I am in NC or SC calls to anywhere are free (as a part of my minutes) Soooo, calls FROM CA or MX are however much a minute...and if I need to use a phone THAT bad, heck, I'll pay it!

However, I'd like to plan, so I'm sure I can get an Alltel signal in CA, and perhaps even TJ, like you said GeezerSue, and that's my backup. I'll call Alltel and get the scoop about getting a signal there.

I meant to stop at the corner gas and at least read the back of the card...I assume the hospital/hotel phone will allow me to call a US 1-800 number so I can charge the calls to the pre-paid minutes on the card...I guess I'm wondering if that's how it works???

I'll check out the website Princess left above and let you all know what happens. At the very least my experience will help others!!! Don't you just LOVE LBT?

Thanks alot everyone!

Wow good question.

I have never used a phone card in Mexico or Cell phone when we go down we usually use one of those Casitas (phone house) that have a phone and they make the call for you then when you are done they tell you how much you owe.

You can get phone cards in just about any corner pharmacy in TJ. My Verizon cell wouldn't work even after I upgraded it.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to update this thread when I got back!

I didn't get a phone card before I left, I decided to get one in TJ when I got there, like DeLarla said, or use a casita like Mary said.

So me and my sister get off the plane in San Diego and she beeps her boyfrind on her Nextel, and it works! So we beep my husband on HIS Nextel, it works!

So we get into TJ and try beeping again from the hotel room, it works!!!

SO, Nextel radios work to and from TJ. Yippee! No long distance charges, no phone cards, just a quick familiar beep and we are communicating!

Just thought I'd update...thanks everyone!

ack I never thought about my phone not working... I have cingular, but I also have a nextel... but wasnt planning on bringing it.... guess I am now hehehe

I have Verizon & I know it won't work in TJ. Are the casitas expensive? I'm SO glad you reminded me about a phone card...I used my doctor's cell phone last time I was there but don't want to do that again!