Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying in Hospital

Hi everyone. Happy Saturday!;) Did anyone have to stay the night after their Lap Band surgery? My Dr said he makes all his WLS patients stay at least 1 night and 2 if GB.

Just curious to why??? If you did stay, what did they make you do or not do that couldn't be done at home? TIA

I had to stay overnight because my insurance company required it. I was ticked at first, but it was a super nice hospital (5 star). Really, they didn't do anything that I couldn't do at home. Although if you are having any problems with nausea, I would suggest staying in the hospital, they can get you well faster with the IV.

Hi. I was banded on 1/23 and my surgery was at 9:30am. I stayed that night and was discharged by noon the next day. It was good to stay. The want to make sure you're not dehydrated (they check your output, let's just say). Also, there is a morphine pump for pain. They gave me intravenous antinausea medicine and kept an eye on blood pressure and temperature because of infection.

I probably could have gone home but it was good to have someone really make sure you're ok before you leave. You need that time so that they can check up on you.

I didn't have any pain meds except in surgery/recovery while I was out. They asked me if I wanted any once I woke up, but I am one of the few that get sick with Narcotics. They left my IV in, but unhooked it. They wanted me to have everything by mouth and not rely on the IV. But it was there if needed. That night at the hospital, I couldn't sleep cuz I was coughing so much, they gave me some Phenergin to prepare for the pain meds (keep me from getting sick) and it knocked me out!

Ronwifey:

I stayed overnight. I think it's probably best to have someone keep an eye on you. I had big issues with nausea, so I didn't sleep much. Glad they were there to give me the medicine to finally make my nausea subside. They also made me do the barium swallow the next morning before being cleared to go home.

Take care.

Sue

My surgeon only requires you to stay if you have afternoon surgery. If you have morning surgery, you go home. I think I would rather stay though.

I am going through Tufts/NEMC and asked this question at my orientation. He said Lap-Band is done outpatient, which I was happy about. I prefer to sleep in my own bed, next to my husband rather than some person I don't know. And I am germaphobic about hospitals. I imagine if there is any type of complicating factor they keep you overnight. I can't have morphine (or Percocets, etc.) so pain pumps aren't a factor for me. Nausea IS, so I'll make sure to ask for anti-nausea medication before I leave.

My insurance required an overnight stay and I was not happy about it. Ultimately, it was fine. They did keep me on an IV and gave me pain meds that way, but only when I asked. The next morning they xrayed me with the contrast swallow to make sure everything was okay. Surgery was on Saturday so I was not discharged until early afternoon. I was literally pacing the floor waiting to be discharged ... I would been fine at home, but was okay in the hospital too.

My insurance required that I stay overnight, Stinky thing tho is that the hospital was too full so I never made it out of the recovery room, they were also short staffed so I wasn't able to walk like everyone says to do so I was and am still quite gassy, The nurses were actually great with the exception of not being able to allow me to walk, I tried to promise them I wouldn't fall but they wouldn't buy it :lol:. With the exception of the heparin shots, I don't see why I couldn't have stayed at home, I would have slept much better.

I have not had my surgery yet but was told by my my insurance company and the Dr. that my insurance requires an overnight stay as well. I think it will be fine though, and I will feel better knowing that things are ok the next day before going home.:thumbdown:

I had to stay overnight too. Ronwifey, make sure you get up and walk as much as possible!! It will help relieve gas and help get the anesthesia out of your system sooner.:thumbdown:

I am going through Tufts/NEMC and asked this question at my orientation. He said Lap-Band is done outpatient, which I was happy about. I prefer to sleep in my own bed, next to my husband rather than some person I don't know. And I am germaphobic about hospitals. I imagine if there is any type of complicating factor they keep you overnight. I can't have morphine (or Percocets, etc.) so pain pumps aren't a factor for me. Nausea IS, so I'll make sure to ask for anti-nausea medication before I leave.

I went home as well - but was not able to sleep in my own bed. You will find most sleep ina recliner the first few nights from surgery!

It was required by my doc to stay over night. I was hooked up to an IV to keep me hydrated. Meds were administered for nausea. I was monitored to make sure I had no infection. The bed was comfy and I had things on my legs to prevent blood clots. I'm glad I had to stay.

I was required to stay by my doctor because I have Grave's Disease and anesthesia can sometimes cause bad reactions.

I can't say I slept much(hospitals are LOUD!), but I actually was glad to stay. Everyone was great, and it was easier to get IV meds than worry about swallowing pills for the 1st 24 hours. I tolerate narcotics well, so I was happy to have the Dilaudid and Phenergen when I needed it.:blush:

I also was having problems urinating, so they kept scanning my bladder and reassuring me that I was fine. At home I would have been freaking out. :thumbdown: