Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Users-Banded a year or more

Hi, all I was surfing the internet today as being depressed because I can't keep anything down. I was banded 4/28/2006 and I have only lost 45 lbs. I have another 70 to lose. I had my band opened because of this once before and had lost 70 but gained back 25. I am not sure if I do not eat right and I know I dont get enough exercise. I actually hate this thing, but know that if it is gone I will gain all my weight back and more. Today I ate a loose scrambled egg and it would not stay down. The "fur" ball brings it right back. (sorry for being graphic) I would be happy for 1 lb a week right now. I am lucky to get 1 lb a month. I have a lot of stress right now, old parents will be moving where I live, and I have to go do it all no other children. Very stressful job. I think with all this I must be inflaming the stoma. Sorry to go on and on, just needed to vent. My other lap band group just harps pick up your boot straps and eat right. THanks for letting me vent.:regular_smile:

Welcome, did you just want to vent or are you looking for suggestions? More info would be helpful. How many calories and what kind of foods ( and in what quantity) are you able to eat? What size band and how much fill do you have.

So many people that are too tight do not lose weight. I know it doesn't always make sense, but many people that are too tight, get a SMALL unfill and when they go back to solid healthy Protein, they begin to lose weight again. It's a balance between being loose enough that solid Protein goes down and a meal of solid protein satisfies you for several hours.

I'm sure many on the forum will give you some suggestions to get back on track, with more info.

Hello everybody Speed Racer here. About my left sided pain it's in the abdominal area around the lower left quadrant pretty much where the band is. Doddie had asked or someone had asked where it was exactly. Is there anyone out there with the same thing? Please anyone!!!!!! I really am ready to have this out and am at wits end. Did have the defill last week and have'nt had any restriction but still being good. Finally able to get good stuff down bad stuff too but not as much. Can someone please talk to me? I'll be waiting.

Thans,

Speed Racer:confused:

Lower left doesn't sound like where the band is. If you look on the web sites for lap band where they show a silhouette of a body and the band in relationship to the body, the band appears closer to between the breast area.

You say you had an unfill recently, did you ask your Dr about the pain? Do you have the pain all the time or after eating? This is something for the Dr. to check out. Maybe it's something else and not related to your band. Female trouble? Kidney? Gallbladder etc should all be ruled out if the pain is chronic.

Hi Shortgal thanks for the response Speed Racer here. Yes I have addressed the pain. I had a laporoscopy last May which was inconclusive. Next they said have a GI workup yeah! So I had an Upper GI, an Upper Endoscopy (down mouth) then a colonoscopy I won't explain that one. So I was GI cleared went back to the surgeon and she said sometimes the tubing gets bunched up and rubs against the spleen and or diapghram so she booked another laporoscopy which was in February inconclusive again she even took some lovely pictures of the inside of me. Showed the tubing under some kind of flap which is where it ends up on most people and it was nice and secure. So, that wasn't the problem. It hurts all the time mostly with movement walking bending gym I don't know what to do. So with that information what does anyone think???????????????????????????????????????? HELP!:thumbup:

Gosh, you've had so many tests with no results. It would be a shame to remove band only to find out that is not it.

Have you done ob/gyn exam just to rule that out, too? Ultrasound to rule out gallbladder? Have you discussed this with your primary care Dr or just your band Dr.?

I've had all three tests ( before being banded). Upper GI ( found hiatal hernia) Endoscopy ( becasue of reflux) Colonoscopy ( just for routine colon cancer screening. So I've been through all those tests.

I hope you find an answer.

Hi Shortgal,

Thanks so much for your concern. I know it would be a shame to get it out and still have the pain. But, I find it odd that I've had the pain since the surgery. I know I had some complications with the original surgery they hit a gastric artery and had some bleeding so had to be transfused 2 units of blood. Anyways, they put some clips in there to mend it and I think that may have something to do with it but, they still say no. My gallbladder is on the other side of the pain and I have no problem with fatty foods which is usually a tell tale sign of gallbladder problems. Our kidneys are in back of us in the lower back so I don't think it's those. I guess I will visit my primary care physician and go from there. I'll keep in touch but, find it hard to be the only one out there with this discomfort. Again, thanks for the concern and comfort.

:crying::thumbup:

My surgeon just came and spoke at support group and talked about bowel obstructions. He said it's always a possibility from scar tissue.

Is it near your port?

I hope someone can run some more tests and find out what is wrong. It would seem like all the tests you had should have shown something.

Hello everybody. Thanks for your comments and concern. I saw my PCP today. I called my bariatric office yesterday and told them I went for a 4 mile walk and was in significant pain and all they said was go to the ER. For what? Some pain medications to mask the pain and a $50.00 co pay. No thanks. So saw my PCP today she couldn't find anything and had every single report of what I have had done and said there isn't another test to find out what's wrong. Sooooooooooooooooo she's going to call my gastroenterologist and try and get some feed back from her as to any tips on what to do next. I'm calling the surgeons office Monday morning to schedule an appointment and get this thing out I can't stand it anymore.:confused::eek::eek:^_^

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you know my PCP called this evening and after speaking with my gastroenterologist they both conclude that there is nothing else they can do and no other test they can do. So I'll be setting up that appointment Monday morning. Thanks, Speed Racer:mellow:

I really do wonder if you have adhesions which is scar tissue wrapped up

around something.

Hello,

I feel like such a failure because I haven't lost much weight at all with my lap band. I either have too much restriction and puke all the time, lose weigh, get less restriction and then gain the weight back. The only time I lose weight is when I can't eat without vomiting. My husband said it is just surgically induced bulimea. When I go back to my surgeon, they remove some of my fill and then I gain back everthing I lost.What am I going to do? I don't exercise like I should.....I just get discouraged and do nothing. Any advice?

Gina. I believe you need counselling. You have the band but it appears you are not eating properly. You puke because a) the band is too tight :thumbup: you are not chewing your food c) you are eating too much.

By a defill, you are still thinking you can eat like the old ways. You may be unconsciously eating hi calorie liquid foods.

Start by monitoring your eating habits. Take a program like Fitday and honestly record everything. Weigh your food and place it on a small plate. Eat every four hours solid Protein and chew the life out of it. In between the four hours sip on Water. Just before a meal, sip warm liquid to relax the stomach. Sit at a table and concentrate on eating.

If you still find after monitoring yourself then you should talk to a counsellor for eating disorders. Hope these hints help. Doddie

Gina, I've not been banded a year yet, but I can hear your sadness when I read your post.

It must be so frustrating for you. I have noticed some people on here mention that they feel their bands are either too tight or too loose. Has your Dr. tried the tiniest of fills? Some people need to really sneak up slowly on restriction.

I think we all want some really strong signal of fullness from our bands and I guess for some of us, it might be a more subtle message.

I think I need a little more fill, because my signal of fullness is kind of weak and I don't get that signal when I'm eating but AFTER I eat. so I have to control my portion and then wait for the signal. The band hasn't yet stopped me while I'm eating and said STOP.

I don't know if that helps you or is even appropriate for how your band works for you.

I hope you can find a way to work with your band.