Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Didnt go exactly as planned,,,

O dear. So sorry Elyssa. Feel all those feeling you need to, and hopefully each day will get a bit easier. Spring is coming, warmer weather and sunshine will help too. Soon this will be behind you, and your scale will be in that lovely downward spiral.

elyssa,I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 6 days post op and also had to have a open surgery due to past abdominal surgery, the DR told me there was a 50/50 change this would happen. I am in pain but the gas pain is what is killing me. It is scarey and the pain makes you wonder if it was worth it, but I'm tring to keep a positive attitude. You are the first person I have found that has been in my shoes, please stay in touch, I would like to have someone to talk to who knows what I'm going through

It's getting better now isn't it!? I still hurt but not as much. Still hungry but fill up pretty fast. Prob eating more than I should but not as much as before. Little at a time anyway. How are you this morning? You are one week out right? I am getting a better attitude now that the pain is less. This sounds terrible but it is nice to know someone else is going through the same thing! Thanks

Wow Elyssa! I too have had abdominal surgery some 23 years ago. Had my gallbladder removed (not laparascopically either). My scar goes from just about the sternum down at an angle to my right side. Just didn't give it a second thought about maybe having to have open surgery. Hmm......will have to prepare for that then. When you have the LB how long are you out of work? I wasn't planning to take a medical leave but now it sounds like maybe I should???????

Olga

Will be thinking of you as you go through this extended recovery! As has been pointed out, the post op diet is extremely important!!! So while you may be in for a few weeks that are rougher than anticipated---I truly believe you will find your band WELL worth it!

When I went in for my hysterectomy it was supposed to be done vaginally, and I woke up split from hip bone to hip bone, and pubic bone to almost my belly button!!! Still-----it was SOOOO worth it!

If you had that many adhesions in there, I would imagine it would have simply been a matter of time before they had to go in and snip them and clean it up....so you accomplished both things at once. Sorry you were not prepared for this at this time though!

My SIL had a huge scar right down her center of her abdomen from a decade or longer old gall bladder---and it had puckered, and had huge inner adhesions, they were able to work from one side of it, and snip them while they were in there laproscopically--so don't give up hope.. Think this is one of those times you prepare for the worst--and hope for the best.

Keep in touch, keep posting, and let all of us know how your recoveries with fully open banding went.

Glad you let others know this is something that might come up!

Kat

I'm so sorry your surgery didn't go as planned. Just hang in there . You will heal and as you see those numbers on the scale going down it's all worth it. I was banded on Feb.7 and down 21 lbs. Of course my surgeon keeps his patients on Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes for the first 2 weeks plus 2 days prior to surgery and 7 days of Soup, salad, & sandwiches before that. So I don't think I had choice in losing the weight...lol. I am looking forward to mushy stuff for 2 weeks starting Thurs. 2 days woohoo. I don't get soft solids until week 5. Elyssa, in no time at all you'll be thinking, " what was all the fuss about?" Just remember, when you think you are starving stop and make sure your stomach is hungry or is it just your mind wanting to eat. And don't forget...drink,drink,drink. get that Water in between meals and you will stay fuller. Best of luck....you can do it.

I feel the same way,because they had to put a larger band on and it's still very tight. Dr. said I won't need a fill for a good while. Since the pre-op diet I have lost 29lbs. Banded on Feb 11, 2008. I'm really sorry that I had it done. I know I needed it but this life style sucks!

JillS, I really hope your feelings about the surgery changes. I know its frustrating, I am on my 14 day of 16 on clear liquids. When I move up to mushy foods on Thurs, I may never eat Jello again. LOL. I know its going to get better as I heal and am able to eat more foods. Just hang in there cuz you can do it...your already losing and that is awesome! Best of luck to you

hello all! i am new on the site, my journey is just about to begin! finally, after 2 years of considering and trying EVERY diet (lol) i have decided to get banded. i have some many Q: i have never had surgery b4 so :wub: my first appointment is the 27th of this month, i will keep everyone posted!:tt2:

I think we can get thru this and be glad we did it! I am miserable right now cause I ate too much mushy stuff! And it wasnt even that much. Feel like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner! Is this normal? I should stop experimenting and finding yummy mushy stuff! All of you guys have no idea how much reading your replies helps me through this! Thanks to all of you sooooo much!

Wow! At first I thought you meant the doctor couldn't complete the surgery and sewed you back up without the banding. Then, when I read your post again, just to make sure, I understood that you did get the band but they had to go in the hard way. I'm so happy for you that you didn't go through the operation in vain. You will heal and will be just absolutely fine. I had gall bladder surgery a few years ago and they were going to do it laproscopically, BUT when I "came to" I discovered a huge 9 inch incision and learned they had to do the surgery the old fashioned way. Lots of staples, pain, but I soon recovered and am fine.

I feel the same way,because they had to put a larger band on and it's still very tight. Dr. said I won't need a fill for a good while. Since the pre-op diet I have lost 29lbs. Banded on Feb 11, 2008. I'm really sorry that I had it done. I know I needed it but this life style sucks!

JillS,

I hope you are doing better. I am not feeling too bad now and dont regret the surgery. There are things I will miss and maybe not like but I think in the long run we will be happier and healthier! Keep in touch, this really is a terrific place to talk to people in the same boat!

hello dear. I am sorry that you were not able to have a speedy recovery, but also be grateful that they had to go in the way they did or would not have found the hernia...and you would be induring another surgery in the long run. I had my surgery in December...and I have felt as you do. It happened just yesterday. It is tough on occasions, but all in all it gets better from day to day. Get your rest, which will help in your recovery process, and stay positive. Do something fun (like your hobby) to take your mind off, unless that is skydiving! smile.

I will be praying for you. Risha

Awomangodcanuse,

Seeing as though you are a believer, belive that He has you in His care. Make sure to ask your doctors ALL your questions. I failed to do that, and seem to be doing things all wrong, or so I think. I am not losing wt like my counterparts, but I am losing. Keep the faith.

Risha