Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aaron Hoffman - Lap Band done in Buffalo, NY (Dr. Hoffman)

Hi, It's been awile. I'm so busy with my kids I don't get to check this site as often as i would like. I saw Dr. Posner on 10/20 and I went from 272 to 255 lbs. I really don't know how I lost 16lbs I have a lot of bad days. Dr. P seemed pleased with the loss and approved me for the band. He would like me to lose 5 more before surgery and stressed that I need to do Phase 1 of SB a week before surgery (especially 3 days pre ) to shrink my liver. Leslie called yesterday and said I was approved by BCBS. She needs to check if the OR is available on 11/7 for surgery. I'm struggling with trying to quit smoking (taking Chantix and havn't flipped out yet) Please pray for me.Considering I'm a Chemo Nurse you think I would know better!!! Post op what is the progression of the diet and how long? What do I need at home? 2 weeks is not a long time to prepare.

I'm trying to figure how to post messages and navigate this site. I can only post by quick reply on someones thread. I would like to meet you guys at a lap band meeting . Sorry for the double post.

I'm cleared for surgery on Nov 7th. I have to go today for bld work, EKG and chest Xray, and Thursday I go for medical clearance . I also have to lose 1 pound by tommorow for my final weigh-in and sign consent for surgery. My adrenaline is really pumping now. Talk about moving quickly once you see the Doctor.

Hi it's me again. Trying to read all the posts I missed but my computer is not cooperating. Questions-What is PB and sliming? What do you recommend for a Protein Powder post op? I have memberships to BJ's and Sam's Club Should I get a blender? or Magic Bullet? What else do I need right after surgery (acceptable foods) I didn't expect to have my surgery this fast and now I'm really nervous / excited. The more info the better. Next meeting on the 19th is my oldest daughters 20 Bday don't know if I can make it but would like to.

Buckets 62, I am two weeks post op so I have just been to where you are going. I will try to answer some of your questions. As far as posting goes, what you are doing is fine but there is also a New Reply button at the bottom of the page.

"If you don't eat slowly and chew all foods thourghly the band will make you misrable. A bite that is too large or not adequately chewed will feel like it is hung up. The trapped food causes the eshophagus to contract vigourously in an attempt to push the bite through the narrow opening created by the band. This spastic contraction is very uncomfortable and is usually felt in the chest. The pain radiates into the back or up into the neck. It is usually accompanied by the production of a large amount of foamy mucus which quickly builds up in the esphagus above the blockage. Salavation can also increase in the mouth as the body attempts to provide lubrication. Some band patients call this "sliming." Eventually the mucus along with some or all of the recently swallowed food, will come back up. This is not really vomiting and doesn't contain much, if any digestive acid. It is more of a spontaneous regurgitaion. Some patiens refer to this spitting up as a "productive burp." From WLS with the AGB by Robert Sewell.

A blender is nice for Protein Shakes but I found the smaller magic bullet to be more convenient. I bought a knock off at Big Lots (thanks to someone heres suggestion) for only $22. For the first week you only drink shakes and then the second week is puree and that is where the bullet came in handy. Week 3-6 is soft but that is pretty much anything easy to chew, including meats and fruit. I had turkey chili last night on my first day of soft.

Please stop smoking. I can't believe you are being banded while it is still an issue. You are going to all this work to get healthy, don't blow it with smoking. Use the money you save by not smoking to buy yourself something special. You deserve it.

Good Luck!

Oops I forgot about the Protein. I used a designer whey protein bought at Vitamin Shop or World. I used the vanilla mostly but chocolate was nice for something similar to chocolate milk for a snack. I used one scoop of the vanilla in a cup of coffee and liked it. I also bought protein bullets. They are liquid and 42 grams. I like orange but they come in other flavors. I mix half in with a bottle of ice tea in the afternoon and the other half in the evening. I getting more than enough protein. Just make sure whatever you buy to get low carb and low sugar and high protein. Some powder is for body builders so you want protein powder for wls. You white binder should have something about protein supplements in it under nutrition. Do not buy a lot of the first week. I did and didn't need anything as I wasn't hungry for two weeks. I only drank the shakes and liquid cause I had to.

Hi Linda, Thank you for the advice, And i'm down to half of what I used to smoke. Do I just ask for the designer Protein, In my binder thenutriion section is empty unless they give you the info after surgery. How do you feel? I see your down 16 lbs since your surgery. THATS GREAT!!! Do you have more energy yet? Any regrets?

I'm so excited I finally got my 1st appt on nov 5th. Went to the seminar in October. I keep trying to make mental notes on all the great suggestions on what to eat or how to prepare it. I have a feeling I wont get into to b banded till after the new year & that makes me incredibly nervous that my husbands health ins is going to change & that I may go thru all this to find out the ins wont approve it. Cant seem to get any confirmation from the HR Dept abt it yet.

I was also wondering, I had my initial blood tests in June or July when I sent in my application. Do you think I should get these repeated before this Nov 5th appt so it doesnt slow things up again?

Danielle

Daniellabee, DO NOT get any tests until requested. But keep copies of all tests you do have done or any paperwork you submit.

You may find the SB book at one of those books a Million or book stores in vacant warehouses. I am very lucky in finding kitchen items and books at thrift shops.

Buckets, I get so frustrated with the WLS. I wanted the post op diet and they told me it was in my binder and it wasn't. You can just ask in the store for Whey Protein.< /p>

I did go through periods of real regret right before surgery and in the first 10 days after but now that I have had to give away all of my pants cause they are too big I am happier. LOL Seriously I do still wonder if I can do this. After dinner is when I have been faltering and wanting to get into old habits. It takes a lot of work and committment but I am sure it will become second nature soon. Adjusting to the smaller portions is hard also but they really do fill you up.

I haven't heard from the clinic about a seminar in awhile . Should I call or just wait it out?

Also does anyone know where I could get a copy of the South Beach diet book cheap?

I got all of mine SB Diet books on Amazon.com . They have a ton of used books at minimal charge and just pay shiping at about 3.99 each book.

I wouldn't get new blood work done. Bring the the most recent labs with you at your clinic visit and if your labs do not include thyroid testing, they may have you get it done. At the clinic visit, they will give you a list of things to bring for your first visit to the doc. THey will include any medical records, reports such as most recent mamo, pap smear, etc.

shar

I haven't heard from the clinic about a seminar in awhile . Should I call or just wait it out?

I would keep calling until I get ahold of Marietta. The line usually goes to voice mail and they say to leave a message. But you never get a call back. Keep on trying the number until you get her at different times of the day. Give her your name and ask her to pull your chart. Then ask her when the next seminar is and if you will be included in that bunch ?

shar

I went for my final weigh in and was down 1 lb.--thanlk god! They reviewed the surgery and gave me information on the Protein powders and the post op diet breakdown. I go to my pcp tomorrow for my medical clearance but have an irriatation on my chest and there is concern that Dr. P might rescedule . I've been running from appointment to appointment the last two days. Well wish me luck I hope they won't rescedule.