Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Day 02/15/2008 @ 11:30

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my pre-band thoughts. I think reading all your post's is helping me cope with the nervousness of the events of tomorrow. I just want it to be Saturday already. Anyway I am on my 2 day clear liquid diet and I am so very hungry. I am trying not to get to grumpy :cursing:, My wife and kids have been great. Well I will post as soon as a can after the fact. I am very exited about the new life ahead of me. :mellow:

Can anyone tell me if I will be hungry after surg. If not about how long did it take to get hungry again.

Thanks to all.

Mike

Had my band installed Wednesday. Don't worry about too much - relax as much as you can. In my case, on a 1-10 scale for pain, this ranked at about a half, and I'm a puss when it comes to pain.

I'm not at all hungry, roughly 60 hours post-op. I've had a little Crystal Light, a little chicken broth, but otherwise have sipped Water and been fine - and as someone who as little as two weeks ago was putting down chicken wings 40 at a clip, that's saying something.

I'm sure everything will go well for you tomorrow. Just don't try to be the hero - listen to what the doc's tell you, and do what they tell you as well.

Agree with Mac - not that bad at all. I too was very anxious but the procedure is quick, and not that bad at all. I got banded on Wednesday as well and today I'm just a little sore in the gut today - the gas has passed for the most part. My doc perscribed gas meds for me that seem to have worked as the gas was pretty intense yesterday. I sleep on my side and have not been able to do that yet, so that is the last obstacle I need to overcome but feel that will come over the weekend at some point. Good luck and hang in there !

Hey BigMike 840,

I went in Feb. 5th, I was to start my pre-op diet 2 wks out but started 3 just to make sure I could do it. Yes, it was a pain in the ass but I kept reminding myself what the end result would be. Surgery day I was like a lil kid lost in the mall, nervous to say the least. Nurses seen it and eased my nerves.

Just after surgery while in recovery they kept trying to wake me up. I could hear them but couldnt talk. Finally came around, just took awhile. No imediate pain just took awhile to get the cobwebs cleared from my head. Not sore at this point but knowing you just had surgery things are "tender".

Surgery at 8:30am, laid around and got waited on hand and foot all day, finally around 4:00pm got up and started walking the hall's feeling pretty darn good concidering. Had to drink some "barium" for em before I could leave. I didnt realize it at the time BUT this was very educational for me. They had the screen so I could see it when I drank the barium. This gave me a very good idea just how the new band works.

I seen the barium go down and when it got to the band, it was like a river hitting a dam. I seen just how long it took it to go through. Not long, but I could see how one could drink to much and "get backed up". Hope that made some sence to ya??? So now when I drink, I understand why they say just keep sipping, dont gulp it all down at once!

The gas was a real pain in the ass. Mostly upper chest / shoulders, not so much pain just discomfort, nothing you cant live with for a couple days. Do as the Dr. says and dont try an be a hero like I did. I took off for an auction two days out and wore myself out. Bad move on my part but worst part of it was had to tell the wife "she was right" OUCH! That hurt!

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK and when your full, drink some more. Something I'm having trouble doing, but trying. Got a blender? It's going to become your new friend the first two weeks post-op. I did liquids first 4 days and am now on "anything I can get through a straw". chicken & fish taist great (first couple of bites) it taist like sawdust after that. I was so hungry for green Beans but didnt have any so settled with pea's. Great the first few bits and grew tired of them. No doubt your taist will vary.

Took the wife out to eat last night for V-Day. I had clam chowder and they blended it for me! Pretty darn good! Told the waitress times were hard and it was the wife's turn to eat, that's why I wasnt eating! Stopped by and got some egg drop Soup on the way home, that was pretty good too.

Cant say I'm hungry now, still doing Protein shakes for Breakfast & lunch and snaking on mushies when ever I want and for dinner. Hope some of this has helped. Good luck on the surgery, it'll be just fine. Keep us posted!

Steve

1-6-08 320 lbs BMI 50

2-15-08 275 lbs BMI ?

45 lbs gone never to return!:thumbup: