Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed With Lap Band

I was banded 11-07 and lost 25 pounds on liguids over the next three weeks while I got better. Since then I havent lost one pound. Ive had two fills for a total of 2.5cc. Doctor Jossart @ SF laprosopic associates says 4 cc will be max. And if I go there "I wont be able to swallow my own saliva". I dont "sabotage" by eating ice cream or fattening foods. I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want though. Absolutely no effects! My weight has stablized for two months without moving. I'm very disappointed with the lap band. As a tool it just doesn't work. Bummed I waisted so much money!frown.gif

My first fill was with 1.25 cc. I felt little to nothing. I could eat anything if I chewed well, I could have eaten all day long--not the restriction I expected. So a month later I went back for fill #2. He gave me a whopping .50. Less than half of the first---I was so bummed out. My fills cost me, and to get there is not convenient....so I was feeling much like you are now. Well I did my day of liquids, and when I went to eat--Holy Crap I had major restriction! On that little bitty fill difference! That was almost 2 years ago! I have never needed another fill. I might could use one now, but am waiting to see.

I chat with a girl who is at 4.0 in a band the same size as ours, and in fact they CAN hold a bit more than that, and do in many cases.

Go get another fill---even if your Dr. will only take you to an even 4---there is a lot of room in that next 1.5cc. You might find just the restriction and the help you were looking for.

I do understand your frustration---I also know a minute amount makes a HUGE difference sometimes---try it----you have come this far, try another fill or 2---what have you go to lose, but the weight?

Welcome to LBT----maybe you can teach me not to sabotage myself!!!

Kat

You know I think your giving up to fast!!! It will come off as you get more fills. Be patience you have only had it for what 2months. It took us a long time to put it on now give it a while to work for you. I was banded 4/07 and am down 70 lbs You will have to work with it. Hang in there!!!! Good Luck!!!!

I am going thru the same thing.. I have had my band for four years!!! I lost 16 lbs the first month then nothing for 4 years! I had three fills. I can still eat anything I want... I got a new dr. 5 weeks ago and He found a big leak in my hose... It has never worked... Please ask your dr to LOOK for a leak !!!! Good luck to you! Gina

I think you should be sure to weigh and measure your foods, exercise, push the Water and continue to get fills (and be checked for a leak)...if you're doing the right things time will be your friend and you will eventually reap the rewards. Good luck

Are you exercising and counting calories? Unfortunately, most of us still have to diet. For me the band is more of a tool for maintenance than for weight loss. I feel like I am doing 95% of that on my own. Don't give up, go get a fill and get to the gym.

I don't think a fill is the answer! How much do yolu work out? We have to have it to loose. How much protien are you getting? If you don't have at least 60-80 mg a day you won't loose. Your body needs it. How fast do you eat? You may be eating your way around the band by eating so fast, it is easy to do. You can eat past the restriction because you are eating so fast. How much Water do you drink? How many calories do you get a day?

The band isn't just about not eating junk. It is a tool that you have to work yourself. It isn't a quick fix~ Good luck!

I agree with what is said above. You are new to the band and it takes a while for some of us to make it work. You need to count calories and exercise. You can get another fill. Are you drinking when eating?

Also for Eugina....several in the January 07 bandster site are doing the five day pouch test (goggle it) for people who may have stretched out their pouch. By reading the reviewed on it, it seems to be the answer for some of use who have stopped losing after a period of time.

Everybody is different. I have to admit I haven't been exercising, I don't load heavily with Protein, although I try to eat at least 30 g per day, but I am able to lose 10 lb per month on average. I do keep my calories down to under 1000 per day. Not saying this is the best way to be, because it isn't. But the lack of exercise and lower Protein levels do not affect my ability to lose weight.

If you can eat whatever you want, then I would say a fill is definitely the answer. The band is specifically designed to stop you from doing that if filled properly. Many people have to have their bands filled more than your current level to function. Go for it.

You will be so amazed that even adding just a small fill can completely change your restriction level. After my first fill I could still eat just about anything if I chewed well. My 2nd fill helped a little. My 3rd fill was WOW! The nurse told me when I got my 2nd fill that she will only add .5 cc at a time from now on and I thought I would never get there. I had a more experienced nurse for the 3rd fill and she added 1 cc and I could not even drink Water. She back it off to .5 and the Water went down. I could only drink liquids for the 1st day and soft food the next and I could feel and hear everything go through the band.

You are very new and should not give up. You just have not hit the best restriction level for you. Remember to eat Protein first then veggies, drink water between meals and exercise. It does take a lot of effort on our part but you can do it. Don't you think you are worth the effort?

I would think you would NOT want to give up....you made it through the surgery with no complications....and you have a wonderful tool inside of you. You should of been warned from the get go that this is a SLOW process. It is not like RNY where the weight will fall off....although yes for some it seems too.

I think it depends on age, amount of weight you are above your ideal and also how much you move your blooming arse.....don't mean to sound harsh but exercising is so vitally important here......You must create new habits and one of them is to become very active. I know my fat but was used to sitting on the couch eating and watching tv during the week after work and on the weekends I would make it to the grocery store and back to my couch.....this was the worst no activity for someone my age.

I can't imagine going back to that person.....I love what the band has afforded me, you must work with it. It is not a miricle cure for overeating.

Don't give up.....listen to those who have lost here......they know what they preach is true!!

I agree with what is said above. You are new to the band and it takes a while for some of us to make it work. You need to count calories and exercise. You can get another fill. Are you drinking when eating?

Also for Eugina....several in the January 07 bandster site are doing the five day pouch test (goggle it) for people who may have stretched out their pouch. By reading the reviewed on it, it seems to be the answer for some of use who have stopped losing after a period of time.

That is another great question, drinking when you are eating is a hard habit to break but WELL worthe the effort. You will become hungier sooner when you drink with eating or shortly before or after. These are all new rules for most of us, and adjustments are needed!

Today I met a woman who was banded last Sept the same time as me. She has had 3 fills and lost a stone & half and I have had no fills as my port is back to front and yet I have lost more weight than her with willpower and going to the gym. It makes me wonder if the band is worth the bother. I didn`t pay for mine but she had to pay £6,500 for hers and is not happy with the band.

It's important to realize that the amount of fill is 100% dependent upon your anatomy. If you can still eat as much as you want and as fast as you always did prior to the band, you need another fill. Period. Some people get one fill and never need another while many people spend months going for fills until they finally feel restriction.

Think of a band as a blood pressure cuff. They put it on your arm and start to inflate it. If they put it on tightly, they won't have to pump it up too many times to get your B/P. If they put it on loosely, they will have to pump the cuff up several more times to achieve the same B/P. I hope that helps.

christine8,

I don't know about you, but I have been able to lose large amounts of weight several times over the years (over 50 lb.) My problem is that I can't keep it off, or hit a plateau and can't break through it.

For me the band is a safety net that stops me from eating huge amounts even when I want to quit "dieting." For the first time in my life I feel like the weight is gone for good. So for me, it was well worth the pain, aggravation, and expense.