Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you adjusted to eating such small meals?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you adjusted to eating such small meals?

• Yes I have adjusted and like it better than pigging out
    • Yes I have adjusted but miss pigging out a little bit
    • No I haven't adjusted and grieve for the "old days" of eating a lot
    • No I really hate these tiny meals

For those of you getting ready for surgery. I was prepared to have to say goodbye to everything I loved right after surgery. While you do have to do the liquids and mushies etc., once that was over I could eat a lot of different textures if I did it slowly. I started "losing" problem foods from my diet very slowly over months as my band has been tightened. Truthfully, now I have a lot of "problem" foods but I have had a lot of time to get used to that and now it is sort of like a distant longing - like an ex-boyfriend I no longer cry over but remember fondly!

I'm not banded yet, and the nutritionist gave me lots of information to try to prepare ahead of time....like start paying more attention to the types of food, and maybe eliminating some. I also eat pretty healthy, just too much! I wonder about "missing" food too. Has anyone tried sugar free suckers? Just to put something in your mouth? My computer is a long way from my kitchen so if anything, it causes me NOT to eat! But don't worry, I make up for it! My hope for the band is like Pavlov's Dogs, I'll learn that overeating will cause discomfort and/or pain. Not that I'm sadistic, but I've tried soooo long. Does that sound nuts?

My band date is 03/11 and I've also been thinking about how I'll cope with missing eating. I love textures & tastes & trying new foods and I was concerned that I'd feel deprived. Don't get me wrong....if that's what it takes to be thin again, well, so be it! However, everyones posts have made me feel much better! I was going thru the "Last Supper" syndrome and have decided to stop it & set my mind over the matter. I bought a new scale and I'm focusing on moderating now, in order to get into the right mindset these last few pre-band weeks.

I guess there are all kinds of phases to go thru! :cursing:

My nutritionist said I might have to chew on a piece of steak to get the flavor, then spit it out! (I like steak RARE!) I guess it beats throwing it up later!

I was banded in Sept - I'm down 60 pounds and went from a tight size 22/24 to a now loose fitting 18/20. When I start missing my sushi, or chinese buffetts, or huge burritos from Chipotle. (Mmmm) I just think about how healthy I feel and how much weight I've lost. My way of thinking about food has to change in order for this to work. Instead of pigging out when I've had a bad day, I have to do something else (exercise, or read if I'm feeling lazy) - but NEVER do I turn to food to make me feel good.

My smaller and baggier clothes make me feel better than the food ever did.

There are certain foods that I miss but it has not been bad. There are times I wish I could finish a meal in 5 minutes. I ate a Lean Cuisine for lunch today and didn't finish it and it took me 30 minutes to eat it. Small bites and lots of chewing take a while. It took a couple of fills to get to this point but the band is doing it's job with my help. I love my band.

Good luck on your journey.

I miss eating, I too can eat everything (except pizza) and do in moderation. but its sad not to fill up my plate. I'm always the first one

to finish eating and bum everyone else that are trying to enjoy their meal. I haven't had a fill yet and am actually doing quite well. I am always surprised how little food I eat, but just once in a while I what to pig out on a six dollar burger ( haven't attempted and not interested, now thats sad) my emotions go up and down (no, I'm not psycho) but now I need to find another outlet. mmm maybe I should try s*x

I too am eating what I want for the most part, and just getting used to smaller portions. I have made small adjustments, like low fat Salad Dressing, limiting white potatoes and using brown rice instead of white. I've only eliminated 3 things from my diet. Beer/soda, white bread, sweets. I thought I would go nuts doing this, but to be honest, I don't miss it. I pretty much eat everything else. The MAJOR change in my life? The thing that I REALLY have had to adjust to???? EXERCISE. I've always hated it. Now I exercise 5 days a week. Now that I'm used to it, I like it. I actually feel yucky when I miss. That has been the biggest change in my life.

Thank you all for your posts on this. I am enjoying my Clear Liquids, only on day three, about to embark day four. I am just as of this afternoon starting to feel hungry. I have found the Jello cups really help with the feeling, but I get hungry again in about an hour or two.

The broth is just not that great, but hey - gotta do it. Don't want to jeopardize in any way harm to myself or my band. I went through too much to get this installed.

I did go through the last meal syndrome, and for some reason I am not too ashamed of that. I am over it now, and I know it's down to business. Besides, I did lose nearly fifty pounds from my highest. I have nothing but to be proud of myself for my accomplishments.

I do hope all of you feel the same. Keep it up friends!