Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly Surgery Question

I just want to say thanks to all of you. I started reading this thread and by the end of it I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:I hadn't thought of the "no undies" issue yet, my banding is scheduled for 2/15. I'm sure it would have come up sooner or later though. I too am worried about being put under for the surgery but know I'll be okay. :regular_smile:

Thanks to all of you for your support and great info.

Great laughs!

It's not a dumb question...I asked the same thing! Hey-it was my first surgery so how was I to know?

It felt weird having just the hospital gown on with the back open and I was clinging to the blankets! After my surgery I was looking at my incisions and I wondered if they had to hold my boobs out of place because one of the incisions is *right* below my left breast. Then I had this image of a nurse being assigned to hold the boob. :drool: :tongue2:

You might as well laugh about this stuff, they've all seen the junk a million times.

Great laughs!

It's not a dumb question...I asked the same thing! Hey-it was my first surgery so how was I to know?

It felt weird having just the hospital gown on with the back open and I was clinging to the blankets! After my surgery I was looking at my incisions and I wondered if they had to hold my boobs out of place because one of the incisions is *right* below my left breast. Then I had this image of a nurse being assigned to hold the boob. :blush: :tongue2:

You might as well laugh about this stuff, they've all seen the junk a million times.

A bit more terrifying is the thought that they just might have had to hold MY boob, too. I may be one of the only people on these boards (since you're mostly women) that won't be unhappy to lose my boobage. :drool:

I've never been able to wear underwear into surgery, I think it's because of the catheter. Anytime you are put under general anesthesia, you have to have a catheter. They do it all after you're asleep, so you shouldn't have to know about that part.

As far as the boob issue---hell I figured the tossed one over each shoulder and gave themselves a nice free work area!!! OK, maybe not quite that big, but damn near!! My upper incision was almost centered between them, so without a doubt, the fell out of the way for them!!!

As for the catheter issue, I did not have one. I ask specifically, he told me some do, he does not unless he is concerned with time, then one can be inserted at any time. He said if I did not drink after midnight as instructed, and theIV was not started until just before surgery, then he felt it was not worth the infection possibilities of a catheter for such a short surgery. Now each surgeon has his own way of doing things, but not all surgeries with anesthesia require a catheter. I just recently had thyroid surgery, and was not catheterized for it either. I never even ask about it for that surgery---but did remember to ask for my banding. After the fact it was mentioned with my thyroid---and it had not been in and out while I was out.

So there is a possibility of having it done without a catheter. I know this has come up in the past too, and some have and others have not had them. These Dr.'s all do things so differently it amazes me!!!

Kat

HAPPYONE-

Is your surgeon with True Results? I am going to my Seminar Tommorrow and I have my diagnostic on the 18th. What do you think of the practice? What has been the process for you?

I had to strip in the waiting area and walk naked to th OR and climb up on the table butt naked while everyone laughed.:blushing:h just kiddding.

That was hilarious!! I laughed so hard I cried!!! I haven't been banded yet and am not looking forward to being fat and naked during surgery! But when I do go in for my surgery, I will think of what you wrote and laugh! Thanks!!

The reason you cannot/shouldn't wear underwear is to lessen/avoid the risk of a burn.

We use electric cautery to stop bleeding and although you are grounded(via the "cold sticky pad" placed, most likely, on your thigh) there is a risk of a burn if you have elastic/nylon underwear. This is also the reason you are told to remove jewelry.

Your gown will be either removed or folded up high onto your chest. Blankets will cover your body below your umbilicus and across your chest covering your arms.

After prepping, the surgical site is squared off with 4 OR towels. The drape is then placed over that area (in this case your abdomen).

Your modesty/privacy is important to us. You are not exposed unnecessarily.

As soon as the surgery is finished we will clean the remaining betadine/blood from the operative site with laps and warm saline/water.

In some cases, some betadine is left behind.

I hope this explained the need for no underwear.:thumbup:

HAPPYONE-

Is your surgeon with True Results? I am going to my Seminar Tommorrow and I have my diagnostic on the 18th. What do you think of the practice? What has been the process for you?

Hi Melissa. Yes my surgeon is with True Results. The staff their is great, very friendly. I actually started my journey back in August. I went in after I saw an ad they had for a free work up. It turned out my insurance required 6 months of visits to a nutritionist. My 6th month visit was Jan 30 and they called me Feb 5 to tell me the insurance had approved it. I nearly fell out of my chair because I figured it would be 3-4 weeks before it was approved.

I met with Dr. Gonzalez yesterday and he put me on a pre op of 2-3 Protein shakes a day plus one light meal with Protein. My surgery is set for 2/15 and they tell me they will call me the day before with the time to show up. They schedule the surgery order based on BMI - highest to lowest. My surgery will be done at the True Results office.

The reason you cannot/shouldn't wear underwear is to lessen/avoid the risk of a burn.

We use electric cautery to stop bleeding and although you are grounded(via the "cold sticky pad" placed, most likely, on your thigh) there is a risk of a burn if you have elastic/nylon underwear. This is also the reason you are told to remove jewelry.

Your gown will be either removed or folded up high onto your chest. Blankets will cover your body below your umbilicus and across your chest covering your arms.

After prepping, the surgical site is squared off with 4 OR towels. The drape is then placed over that area (in this case your abdomen).

Your modesty/privacy is important to us. You are not exposed unnecessarily.

As soon as the surgery is finished we will clean the remaining betadine/blood from the operative site with laps and warm saline/water.

In some cases, some betadine is left behind.

I hope this explained the need for no underwear.:thumbdown:

Thanks for that! :thumbup:

You will be naked under the gown and I had two gowns as well. They'll drape you with surgical drapes around the area they'll work on after you're sleeping.

I had lots of that orange colored betadine on my belly when I woke up. Before I went home, the nurse gave me wet wipes to clean it off, other wise it might stain your clothes.

there is a product that will remove betadine stains from clothes and skin. The link is Betadine Stain Removal Spray

Hope this helps.

I was knicker free as well (I trusted that if the surgical staff wanted to check out anyone, it wouldn't be the fatty boombah that was me!) but was allowed to wear a wire-free crop top style bra. It really made it easier post surgery, as I didn't have to struggle to keep my boobs away from the surgical scars and could slip my PJ's straight on.

I had my surgery last Wednesday (June 3rd) and my underpants and socks were the only thing I had on during the acutal surgery.

I was wondering the same thing. I am having surgery on the 17th for the Realize Band, I just had surgery 2 weeks ago on my leg and was told to keep on my underwear and bra. I am also wondering about body peircings, my dr didn't say anything about it when I asked and forgot to reask. I didn't have to take it out when I had my leg surgery, so I don't see why this one would be any diff as it isn't a stand out there peircing.

I posted this question myself a little while ago, so, of course, I don't think it's a silly question.

One fella posted a reply something like this...

I was actually fully clothed during my surgery. However, the surgeon and all the OR staff were stark naked!

I have a really sarcastic sense of humor, so I really liked it. Just thought I'd throw that out there to supply a few more giggles!:tongue_smilie: