Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

after the operation.....

After the operation, when you wake up, how do u generally feel? Is there a lot of pain? If there is, how long dose it last? How long did it take for you to go back to work? I took a week off myself, because thats what the doctor advised. I'm getting my band on March 8th.

can anybody tell me

iamcanadian25

Everyone is different when they wake up from anesthesia. Some people are sick others are just groggy. I was in some pain but they were quick to give me medication for that. I was really groggy afterward and only wanted to sleep. I was up and around the next day most people are up and around the same day. My surgery was late in the evening so I was just put to bed and slept off the anesthesia. I got up the next morning and was sore but with a nice comfortable pillow for support of my abdomen I was fine. Just take it slow and easy. Don't try to run a marathon after surgery. I think a week would be OK. I would have been able to go back to work after a week. In fact I did. I help my boyfriend in the office of his production co.

After the operation, when you wake up, how do u generally feel? Is there a lot of pain? If there is, how long dose it last? How long did it take for you to go back to work? I took a week off myself, because thats what the doctor advised. I'm getting my band on March 8th.

can anybody tell me

iamcanadian25

Like Penni said, everyone is different. Have you had any surgeries before? The laproscopic surgery is so much easier to get over than an open-method. It took me a couple of weeks to really get back on my feet. But I had some other things done besides the banding and I'm sure that slowed me down.

What type of work do you do? A sit-down job, lot of standing, carrying things, etc.?

Your date is just around the corner! Best of luck to you! Please let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it.

I had some pain on my right shoulder, the doctor said it had to do with the anesthesia gases. I was a little uncomfortable, but for the most part, I did really well with the surgery. I did get up and walk around the same day, they said it would help my body get rid of the gases, but other than that the surgery itself was a breeze. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Welcome to LBT

I had my surgery on Friday Am and as soon as they took all the vitals I was up and walking. Yes I was alittle sore but I had 2 C-sections with my boys and it was a lot easier for me this time around. I was back to work the following Tuesday 1/2 days but of course I have a sit down job I did that for 2 weeks. But I would walk around alot just to keep movement in my legs (did not want any blood clots). But like Penni & Marie say everyone is different, Hindsight I should have taken off a week to make sure my body recuperated slowly. But once I was home I rested alot due to being tired since it is major surgery.

Like most have already posted, everyone is so different when it comes to recovery from surgery.

I had minimal pain but had dry heaves for a while. A quick dose of Phenergan knocked that out and I slept pretty good after that. I had surgery on a Monday and was back to work the following Monday, but could have easily gone back to work the following Wednesday instead of taking a full week off from work.

I just got back from Monterrey. I went (as support) with two ladies that were getting banded. Both went through the surgery just fine, but one of them was very sick to her stomach for most of the day and night after surgery, she was very dizzy and had a hard time walking a couple of steps. The other one acted like she hadn't been through anything at all. She was getting up and walking around with her I.V. pole about 2 hours after surgery. I couldn't keep up with her! LOL

If you can take a week off from work I would do it. I would rather take more time off even if I felt like I could go back to work sooner. Just my opinion.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! Please keep us posted.

Tricia

Hi there..I had my surgery on a thurs and woke up groggy and with some pain. I felt like i had some trouble breathing through my mouth. The nurse said she thinks it was because I wasn't used to that feeling of the band there. But, that soon passed. The only pains I had were gas and the pain from the port incision since it's bigger than the other ones. I was up walking around 5 pm, but was only able to walk around the nurse's station once before I had to rest again. This was my first surgery...and I was really scared, but It went better than expected. Good luck, my prayers are with you. Let us know how you are doing afterward.

I was in a lot of pain. I remember waking up in recovery with the oxygen mask on my face and crying for more pain medicine. I don't want to scare you. Everyone is different. I stayed overnight in the hospital. My kids spent three nights with my parents so my husband and I could rest. I couldn't laugh, cry, cough or sneeze for at least 4 days. I wanted to cry but was in to much pain to do it. But a week later, I was able to put my daughter in her carrier in the car. Sore, but much, much better. I gets better every day!

But you know what..............IT WAS ALL WORTH IT! This is the best thing I have ever done besides marrying my husband and having my two kiddos! I do not regret it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you won't either! Best of luck to you!

I woke up absolutely alert! I did not recieve any pre-op drugs to "relax" me because the anesthesioligist said I would wake up more alert. I was not in a lot of pain, but I had some pain. They gave me what I call "mickey mouse" pain pills in Monterey, but they took the edge off. I wish I had of brought my own darvocett, lol.

I was up and walking in four hours and walked for about three hours up and down the hall to get the gas moving, and it helped a lot. I have had six c-sections and this was a walk in the park compared to them!

I was shopping for souvenirs on El Revolucion in TJ ( the main tourist shopping street) the next morning after my surgery ..everyone is different. I have had 3 c-sections and this was a piece of cake compared to my C-sections pain wise

I came out of anastesia panicing and screaming becasue my back was hurt, (I had three herniated discs and sciatica) "my back, my back" I cried uncontrollably before I really even knew or remembered what was going on.

They gave me pain meds and I was fine within like 10 minutes, laying in the bed.

Everyone was so nice, so compassionate, I was treated very well through it all.

My 5 little inscissions didnt hurt at all, but I needed a lot of pain meds for my back and alot of insulin and I dont recal what was going on..

BUT I was extremely weak and sleepy and they told my sister I would be like that (so she wouldnt think I was just being a lazy baby)

When all the other ladies were up and about drinking gatorade, I still couldt tolerate ice chips and puked everything up.

I had to stay an extra two days, but spent most of it sleeping....

Then I was fine for a few days (the pain meds had infiltrated my IV into my arm and so they ooozed out into my system for a few days after)

THEN and NOW two weeks later.......my left side STILL hurts right under my big inscision and I am told its where my port is and that its normal and it should go away. IT feels like a tearing sensation and it sucks BUT its NOTHING compared to my back.

I see people comparing it to ceasarians... well I had three of those and on a scale.. My cesarians would be an 8 and the lapband pains and discomforts a 2. And my back surgeries a 10+

Its really easy, I also went shopping while I was in Tijuanna before I left.. (but I had tons of pain meds for my back to make it possible)

Gosh, I am a wimp! I had my babies the natural way, so I had never had surgeries! But, one of my friends has had her boobs done and her eyes, and she said she would do that all over again before her tummy because the abdomen is the worst place to be cut! YOu don't realize that every moment you are using those muscles! But............In the long run, I think everyone here would agree, pain or no pain, it was the best thing we have ever done!!!!!

I remember being wheeled into the OR ( given drugs before) My Dr. came over to talk to me and them putting on those special boots (love them) Then I remember someone calling my name. I thought to myself I wish they would just get this over with? Then she said it's over. Wow, I felt like I was only just wheeled in there. I had NO pain just very tired. I was put in a room an hour later and slept for a while. They had me walking later that afternoon. but not much because I can't walk with on crutches (spinal disease). Sat on the side of my bed mostly. came home around 3:00p.m. the next day. 3 hour drive home was a little uncomfortible and I couldn't sleep in my bed for a few days. Hurt to lay flat. Slept in a recliner. Back to work 3 days later. Uphill ever since. I can't say it enough I LOVE MY BAND (MY NEW BEST FRIEND)

Oh well, I guess I'll chime in too. I had my banding Fri. a.m. Was up & walking about 1.5 hours after. I did A LOT of hall walking. On the other hand, the fellow who had his right after mine was sleeping for hours & hours after. I was in more pain than he was after, so go figure. Everyone is different. I flew home Sunday, rested Monday & went to my desk job on Tuesday. If you're fortunate to have a whole week, use it! It can only help. I too was bothered by gas pain in my shoulder for several weeks, I really thought something was wrong. Doc said it was only gas & to keep moving. He was right. I couldn't wait to sleep on my stomach/left side again, I found that a long "body pillow" helped me do it sooner than on a hard bed. Hope this helps. Best of luck. And yes, pain or no pain, gas or no gas, sleep or no sleep, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!