Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going to cabo- what if I drink too much?

This is my first 'fun' trip since banding. I am planning to be good but what happens if I drink too much tequila? I'm being serious- typically I would just throw up - maybe 1 every 2-3 years but now I'm worried.

I'm looking for guidance from those who may not have been perfect since getting the band.

Love the band!

Vomiting is a dangerous thing to do with a band....it can cause slippage and all the problems connected with that. :) If you are grown up enough to get a lap band and old enough to drink you should be mature enough to set limits and take care of that valuable little tool in there.

you are not supposed to drink Alcohol at all.Why jeopardize what you have done.?

You're not supposed to drink with the band (it's liquid calories, and ALOT of them.) There are 97 calories in a 1.5 oz shot of tequila source: calorieking.com. However...you should be allowed to treat yourself while in Mexico, just don't over do it. Know your limit. As soon as you start to feel the effects of the alcohol stop drinking. You don't want to get sick and throw up, potentially damaging your band. This is just my humble opinion.

I never comment on postings, but COME ON! of course you "shouldn't" do things, none of us "should've" eaten to the point that we had to have surgery....Let's get real, you're going to Mexico and chances are you're gonna party. I don't know how old you are, but its just like when you first start drinking. You gotta learn your limits or you will be sick and you will pay for it. I was always a beer drinker and knew how many I could have without being sick, after banding I switched to liquor (usually diet cran and vody) but I had to figure out how much was too much. I went to Hawaii and we drank from sun up to sun down and guess what...I got SICK! I'm not sure if others have had this, but I cannot throw up. I've slimed and PB'd but no actual vomit. So, there I was in Hawaii missing all the fun cuz I was dry heaving on the toilet. I COULDN'T EVEN GET RID OF THE ALCOHOL...BLAH....needless to say, I slowed down the drinking for the rest of the trip. So my advice to you is to do the same you've always done, know that if you play hard, you will pay hard.

you are not supposed to drink Alcohol at all.Why jeopardize what you have done.?
I've never heard this, nor does it make sense. Is it part of your surgeon's guidelines? Most guildelines I've read and/or come across recommend limiting alcohol intake, but do not say you're never supposed to drink it.

Yeah, alcohol is liquid calories. So? If someone wants a drink, have a drink. A day of extra calories isn't going to kill anyone, and anything done in moderation can add to the special occasion. I've certainly had nights where I go to BnR, and take in well over 95 calories I'm sure, so what? I want a treat and I have it. Treats won't kill us as long as they're "treats" and nothing more.

If the issue is that you're concerned you won't be able to control your drinking, then you have a bigger issue than your band to take care of, which may up your chances for complications.

If your concern is that you want to drink tequila and tequila specifically makes you sick, then you pretty much have to make a choice between drinking it and taking the risk, drinking something else, or not drinking (alcohol).

Few people have been "perfect" (whatever that really looks like) since getting the band. And those that have been are probably newer bandsters. I do know a few who have been ideal, but many of us see our bands as a way to enjoy the same life we did before, just with some forced moderation... no special diets, no absolute restrictions other than those imposed by the band, etc.

It's a special occasion, we're talking about a few drinks. Have responsible fun, and be ready to get back on track when the occasion is over.

Great thread.

i was curious about this too. I'm taking a cruise to Mexico in May and it will be my first cruise after being banded. I'm sort of sad, because man, the food on cruises is amazing!! but, I'll just have to deal. I'm not a big drinker, but there is this one excursion that I love doing.. it's sitting on a beach with 5 bars.. drink all you can in 5 hour deal with shopping. HA HA. I never got trashed till I was puking, but, I would like to get a little tipsy and walk around like a dork shopping and being forced into paying 5 bucks for a dollar item. Other than that, I usually only have champagne at Christmas and Thanksgiving. But, I would like to enjoy that one day in Meheeco!

This is my first 'fun' trip since banding. I am planning to be good but what happens if I drink too much tequila? I'm being serious- typically I would just throw up - maybe 1 every 2-3 years but now I'm worried.

I'm looking for guidance from those who may not have been perfect since getting the band.

Love the band!

I went to Mexico last month, and had GREAT time. I was never told you can't drink Alcohol with the band, My surgeon said use moderation - keep in mind the liquid calories.

Superbowl Sunday was my first "bad band" margarita drinker day....No sickness to the stomach, just the head.

I know I can't hold my liquor like in the past - just be mindful that it may not take many too get tipsy.

HAVE FUN!!

I've had drinks with my band..(I'm not the best patient I know) but I'm a social drinker...I didnt feel anything different. Have fun just dont over do it. I wouldn't wanna throw up.

According to my surgeon.....Never drink alcohol-sodas or eat breads.. Also not to take whole pills-And i will abide by his orders......he knows .

Please do abide by your surgeon's recommendations, they're the best guidelines you can get. It becomes a little more ambiguous when 100 different surgeons have 100 different guidelines, but each bandster should follow their surgeon's guidelines (that's one of the few "rules" out there). :)

Gayle - are you really my mom lurking on the lbt board? ;o

Thanks for the advice - I will behave - keeping mind I was a beer drinker too and diet coke drinker and have had neither since surgery. I have definately changed 180 degrees when it comes to what I am putting in my body.

I am in no way an alcoholic but wondered now, with the band, if my alcohol tolerance would be lower (I assume that it is) and if that is the case what will be my reaction to more alcohol in my system. I am celebrating my 40th birthday in Cabo and plan to really Celebrate - for the first time in a long time I feel fabulous.

Thanks again - I will give an update when I return.

Gayle - are you really my mom lurking on the lbt board? ;o

Thanks for the advice - I will behave - keeping mind I was a beer drinker too and diet coke drinker and have had neither since surgery. I have definately changed 180 degrees when it comes to what I am putting in my body.

I am in no way an alcoholic but wondered now, with the band, if my alcohol tolerance would be lower (I assume that it is) and if that is the case what will be my reaction to more alcohol in my system. I am celebrating my 40th birthday in Cabo and plan to really Celebrate - for the first time in a long time I feel fabulous.

Thanks again - I will give an update when I return.

My advice, have fun and be smart....ENJOY!!!!!! I envy you!