Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

55 focused and fantastic!!!

Hi, I am so glad to find this group. I was just approved for my lap band surgery on February 26th. I am a 52 year old wife, mother and friend I hope. I still wonder sometimes if I am too old to be doing this but then I look at how much life I still need to live and I know I'm not. For me, it truly isn't about being the hot thing anymore, it's about feeling great. I have suffered for 10 years with a diagnosis of severe osteoarthritis in both my knees and am truly tired of the pain and the limitations it causes me. My husband and I love to RV and I want to be able to enjoy it to it's fullest!!!!!! Any suggestions to help me prepare better for the upcoming surgery? Vicki :eek:

Hi Miss Vicki, I hope you aren't too old to have this done because I'm the same age and had it done on the 16th January. You will probably go through the same as the rest of us,excited, nervous, scared and then excited again. Read everything you can about the good and the bad that can happen. I can only go on my experience and I had no post op pain. I had some wind (gas) pain that really wasn't all that bad. I made sure I walked around the house the first couple of days even when I didn't feel like it and I think that helped a lot. Good luck on your decision.

Saleel22

Hi Miss Vicki, I hope you aren't too old to have this done because I'm the same age and had it done on the 16th January. You will probably go through the same as the rest of us,excited, nervous, scared and then excited again. Read everything you can about the good and the bad that can happen. I can only go on my experience and I had no post op pain. I had some wind (gas) pain that really wasn't all that bad. I made sure I walked around the house the first couple of days even when I didn't feel like it and I think that helped a lot. Good luck on your decision.

Saleel22

Hi Saleel, Thanks so much for your comment. Today is my pre-op appointment and I hope to get alot of questions answered there. I have heard the gas can be a bit uncomfortable but I will handle it. Just knowing my knees and back will feel better keeps the other stuff at bay! I'm glad you are doing so well. Vicki

Hi Miss Vicki,

I am having my surgery on Feb. 13 at 9:45am. I am a mother & grandmother. My grandaughter lives with us and needs a grandma as she said, "That will be like the other moms and can go jogging and run around at the park with her". That's my motivation. I am 50 years old and let this weight take over my life, I wan't my life back.

Just because we are older does not stop us from wanting the best life we can have.

HI Ladies! I was 53 when I had my surgery and so thankful I did!

Thanks to the exercise videos of the 70's and 80's todays 50's is yesterday's 40's and I believe it.

One of the benefits of having the surgery at our age is maturity with dieting ...having all those past years of trying to lose wgt and failing or having limited success and then gaining the wgt. back! Sound familiar??

I am proud to say I weigh less and look better than I have in decades! And another plus.....all those skinny young women and men of our generation are getting the middle age spread or worse. They are just starting their battle with weight loss and are confused! How did this happen? They used to be able to eat anything!! We've been there, done that and have the clothes to prove it!!

[insert uplifting music here] Well here's to US and the rest of our lives! May they be long and healthy!

Hey Miss Vicki - I had mine done last April when I was 49, am 50 now and it was the best thing I ever did. It is a life altering decision but I know it's one I will never regret.

Hey Miss Vicki - I had mine done last April when I was 49, am 50 now and it was the best thing I ever did. It is a life altering decision but I know it's one I will never regret.

Hi, thanks for your comment. Can you tell me if the hardest part was the physical changes you had to make towards eating and quantity, or was it the mental and emotional changes that had to be made to stay on track. Miss Vicki

Hi Miss Vicki,

I am having my surgery on Feb. 13 at 9:45am. I am a mother & grandmother. My grandaughter lives with us and needs a grandma as she said, "That will be like the other moms and can go jogging and run around at the park with her". That's my motivation. I am 50 years old and let this weight take over my life, I wan't my life back.

Just because we are older does not stop us from wanting the best life we can have.

AMEN to that! Being a healthy Grandma is one of my best motivations as well. Keep me posted on how you are doing!! Miss Vicki

I had surgery on November 21 and doing great. I have lost 30 lbs so far and that was enough to donate bags and bags of clothes out of my closet..I cannot believe how much better I feel. Every day it gets better! I have not even had a fill yet..my Dr. thinks I am losing just fine and wants to just have me keep going the way I am...others are losing faster than me but I am just hanging in there. I am the thinnest I have been in 10 years...I gained all of my weight after having kids (over 35) and now my boys are grown up and it was time for me to lose it...:tongue2:

Hi, thanks for your comment. Can you tell me if the hardest part was the physical changes you had to make towards eating and quantity, or was it the mental and emotional changes that had to be made to stay on track. Miss Vicki

it is a bit of both, I still have a hard time chewing enough and eating slower after 50 years of wolfing down my food and it was an adjustment not to turn to food for comfort but I still have a piece of chocolate when I want to, just not the whole box, but it is so worth it, as of this morning I am 1 lb from goal! I have never been to goal in all the years of dieting. I write this as I sit here at work in my size 10 jeans, yay! Next stop size 8 (maybe) lol. Good luck Vicki, I just know you will be fine.

it is a bit of both, I still have a hard time chewing enough and eating slower after 50 years of wolfing down my food and it was an adjustment not to turn to food for comfort but I still have a piece of chocolate when I want to, just not the whole box, but it is so worth it, as of this morning I am 1 lb from goal! I have never been to goal in all the years of dieting. I write this as I sit here at work in my size 10 jeans, yay! Next stop size 8 (maybe) lol. Good luck Vicki, I just know you will be fine.

Thank-you and God bless you. I am so happy for your success. You just go with your bad self!!!!!!!!!!

I had surgery on November 21 and doing great. I have lost 30 lbs so far and that was enough to donate bags and bags of clothes out of my closet..I cannot believe how much better I feel. Every day it gets better! I have not even had a fill yet..my Dr. thinks I am losing just fine and wants to just have me keep going the way I am...others are losing faster than me but I am just hanging in there. I am the thinnest I have been in 10 years...I gained all of my weight after having kids (over 35) and now my boys are grown up and it was time for me to lose it...:tongue2:

Is that a Bichon in your picture? I am a dog lover too. Size 10 WOW, that was way over 20 years ago. I am just looking forward to be able to shop in regulars and not big ladies! I've been trying to chew slower but I think that will be hard as well, a new learned behavior. Keep up the fantastic work, Vicki

thanks Miss Vicki, you'll be there before you know it. I haven't been a size 10 since I got married in 1978, it is still hard for me to believe. I love what this band has done for me and I know you will too.

I got banded when I was 57 and I sure don't regret it. I now weigh approximately 140lbs and can easily fit into size 10 jeans. I should be able to wear size 8 but I am thick in the waist - I always have been. *sigh* I am certain that you will love your band. And you will love the support that you receive on LBT, too.

As for preparing for your surgery, I found that having a pill crusher, and a supply of reading material for the first few days were both important. If you have a TV in your bedroom that will work just as well as books and magazines.

I found it difficult to lever myselfself up in order to go to the bathroom during the first couple of days post-op. Having a piece of furniture by your bed that you can grab ahold of is helpful; this means that you don't need to call for anyone to give you a hand.

You likely will have gas cramps, bad ones. These are a by-product of the surgery. The best way to get rid of 'em is to walk as much as you can. You should also have a supply of chewable Gas-X on hand.

I got banded when I was 57 and I sure don't regret it. I now weigh approximately 140lbs and can easily fit into size 10 jeans. I should be able to wear size 8 but I am thick in the waist - I always have been. *sigh* I am certain that you will love your band. And you will love the support that you receive on LBT, too.

As for preparing for your surgery, I found that having a pill crusher, and a supply of reading material for the first few days were both important. If you have a TV in your bedroom that will work just as well as books and magazines.

I found it difficult to lever myselfself up in order to go to the bathroom during the first couple of days post-op. Having a piece of furniture by your bed that you can grab ahold of is helpful; this means that you don't need to call for anyone to give you a hand.

You likely will have gas cramps, bad ones. These are a by-product of the surgery. The best way to get rid of 'em is to walk as much as you can. You should also have a supply of chewable Gas-X on hand.

Thank-you so much for your advice. I am so happy I found this forum!!!