Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell co-workers

I had mine on Friday & took last pain meds on Monday. If I were working an office job, I would think you could return after 4 days. I still had a little pain, but it was completely tolerable -- just tender to touch. I'm a week out now & feel SO much better -- barely hurts at all - just a tiny bit of tenderness to touch. About day 6 was a major realization that I didn't hurt much at all.

RE: telling management - legally, they don't have the right to ask you specifics - they may require a letter from your doctor stating that you need time off for a procedure. But it's totally up to you whether you give them any details. Depending on your employers, you don't want to give them any reason whatsoever for them to judge you for something that has nothing to do with your work performance.

To people that needed to know I wasn't available for certain dates, but didn't need to know specifics, I just said, "I'm having a little day surgery procedure - no biggie" & left it at that. Not one of them has asked anything further.

uhhh, im on the same friggin' boat! i just started this job back in december and i'm already debating on telling my managers. i kind of do want to say 'medical procedure' and im hoping they won't ask for details. i've only told one person at work so far. i don't know, maybe as time gets closer to my surgery, i might spill the beans! :rolleyes:

Turler,

just a thought. Do you think that maybe the way you assume everyone will react is just your imagination? It is quite possible that they will be supportive and maybe the whole issue of them watching everything you eat is really just your own issue?

If you do do fantastically well, then you can always come clean about what the operation was really about. I think you might be making more stress for yourself than you need to on this.

Hey, I told them it was female surgery and everyone stopped there. I told the closet person at work to me. This was a mistake, cause he told one other person.,I think. If I had to do it again I would tell no on in the work place. They ask how I am loosing. I told them I changed my way of eating, I eat healthy now. It seems to shut them up.

i told people and i wish i didn't. Big mistake, they look at me like your not big enough ,and you can do it on your own , save your self the head ack

don't tell them .

I told a few people that I knew would tell other people, and so on... The lap band a tool to help, but we have to still make the right choices, and exercise and work like heck to get the full benefits of the lap band.

I have my surgery on Feb 5th, so am very excited...

Oh, I do know another woman at work who had the lap band surgery-she said when people ask how she lost weight, she just says she eats less, and excercises more-which is the truth!! She thinks it isn't anyones business but her own...

I work in a office where 3 other women have had some type of gastric bypass-2 had RNY, one had the sleeve, now I will have the lap band!! So my office is totally used to this, and they are really supportive.

I told everyone I had my gall bladder out. That was it... No one questioned me at all... I said that since I was eating better because I had it out I just continues with the diet. I am now down almost 60 pounds & everyone is saying wow, you look great... I did not want anyone to judge me... it is none of their business... only your business.

Personally, I would have told my office. But that is just me. I am a very brash in your face kind of person, yet tactful all at the same time. My old office loved me for my openness and telling our boss how it was. He didn't like it though ... LOL I think he fired me alot, for that openness, thankfully I was union and he couldn't really fire me.... LOL

Anyways, do what YOU think is right, all we can do is tell you how we would handle it, and how we would deal with it and give you ideas. In the end darlin, its all about you and what you decide. If you are comfortable in your job and with your co-workers tell tell tell! You might be surprised how much support you get! There is ALWAYS a bad apple, one who will judge and tsk tsk about everything. Can't forget the office know it all either, we all know those.

Again, its all how you feel and are you comfortable sharing that info? If not, tell them you are having a simple day procedure and will be back in no time! Not a lie, 100% the truth and that is all they need to know.

Rachel,

It ultimately is up to you .. but sometimes it's best to just be open about it. You have nothing to hide. :) I debated this before doing my surgery. I can only tell you to be upfront. Lapbanding is done as a weight loss tool. I found that people were more curious about what it was and how it would impact me down the road.

This won't mean I can't eat food --- it's going to help me control what I eat and make better choices in my life. So, yeah - I can still have a piece of cake if I want to, but more than likely - I'll be able to help serve the cake and really not feel like I'm missing out or depriving myself.

They'll see that you really have changed your life for a healthier lifestyle - and will support YOU for being the great person that you are. And when you do decide to have the occassional temptation food, they'll understand. We all need a little ice cream occassionally ... it's just now we don't want the whole carton. :)

I will be banded in the next few weeks. I have told no one other than my husband. I have discussed the topic with a few of my friends and family kind of as a matter of fact but never indicating that I was considering the band. They were all very negitave and could only say how unhealthy it is. All of these women have a lot more weight to lose than me.

I may change my mind later when my weight loss is noticed but for now I don't need to have my every move watched and judged. I have the support of all the nice people here who understand what this is all about.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Unlike a few others, I don't think three weeks is too much time to be off--if you are paid for it, why not take the time??? I did, although I probably could have gone back after two weeks. And it DOES depend on what your surgeon uses to close: staples steri-strips, glue. Mine used staples and they didn't come out for a week and THEN I really began to heal. So if you have the time, girl, take it!!

Unlike you, I'm afraid I told all my coworkers when I was just thinking about it and of course, they followed along asking questions during the first months of the seven months to surgery. But when it came right down to it, they were all against the surgery, thought I should "find the right diet for my metabolism and do it myself" and so the last months were spent not telling them anything about it.

I like the hernia idea or the gall bladder idea (even though if you ever have to REALLY have to have your gall bladder out, they will wonder how you grew another :) ).

I will say that now, four months post-op, my coworkers are back on board with me (it's not their life) and it's an area where I will answer questions if asked.

Best wishes to you, Rachel!! :)

I have thought of the same thing. I work out of the house but it is the bus stop mothers. I can't figure out what to tell them about why I will not be at the bus stop. The medical procedure thing will just get there curiosity up.