Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting over and needing help

I am new here, but should have joined a long time ago because I have needed help for some time now. I was banded on 10-20-05 and lost 110 lbs in about 1 year. It was wonderful for a while, but I still never reached my goal weight. I had about 70 more lbs to go, but fell into a horrible downward spiral in January 07. I got another fill just because I guess I did not know when to stop. I went through a month of getting sick when I tried to eat and even sometimes when I drank coffee. I felt I was hungry all the time and found myself constantly trying to eat. I went back to the doctor and he took quite a bit of Fluid out of my band, but insisted I had to be eating because in the month I was getting sick I had gained about 10 lbs. I am sure it was because I never stopped trying to eat.. all day. Since then I have gained between 70-80lbs back. :tt1: I am so down on myself and have not gone back to the doctor because I have been ashamed. I recently received a call from the nurse a Vanderbilt, where I had my surgery, and they encouraged me to get back on track and find a support system. They set up an appointment in April 08, the first one in over a year. So I guess I need to start all over again. Does anyone have any refresher tips and pointers to get me "started" on the right foot? I think I have almost forgotten everything. Portion size is gone and it sometimes scares me by the amount I can eat. Healthy is not my way anymore and I do not like it. And by the way.. what does Pb'ing mean?

I am new here, but should have joined a long time ago because I have needed help for some time now. I was banded on 10-20-05 and lost 110 lbs in about 1 year. It was wonderful for a while, but I still never reached my goal weight. I had about 70 more lbs to go, but fell into a horrible downward spiral in January 07. I got another fill just because I guess I did not know when to stop. I went through a month of getting sick when I tried to eat and even sometimes when I drank coffee. I felt I was hungry all the time and found myself constantly trying to eat. I went back to the doctor and he took quite a bit of Fluid out of my band, but insisted I had to be eating because in the month I was getting sick I had gained about 10 lbs. I am sure it was because I never stopped trying to eat.. all day. Since then I have gained between 70-80lbs back. :tt1: I am so down on myself and have not gone back to the doctor because I have been ashamed. I recently received a call from the nurse a Vanderbilt, where I had my surgery, and they encouraged me to get back on track and find a support system. They set up an appointment in April 08, the first one in over a year. So I guess I need to start all over again. Does anyone have any refresher tips and pointers to get me "started" on the right foot? I think I have almost forgotten everything. Portion size is gone and it sometimes scares me by the amount I can eat. Healthy is not my way anymore and I do not like it. And by the way.. what does Pb'ing mean?

df877

I am sorry you have gotten off track - you are a food addict you have just had a relapse - 1st step is admitting you have a problem - now we are going to help you fix. 1st let go of being ashamed - you f'd up now you are taking responsiblity and now we move forward.

First why is your appointment not till 4/08 - why not sooner - you need an appointment sooner

Your band is only a tool and for that tool to work you need to have proper restriction - I do suggest that you may need a fill

The majority of the work is going to be mental - you must understand that this is not a diet that you go off of - this is a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating habits - banders rules - Protein 1st minimum 60 grms - 64 oz Water - veggies - some starches - low fat & sugar free - no drinking 1/2 before or after meals - 3 meals - 2 healthy Snacks - keep your calories around 1000 -1200 - keep a food diary - or log your calories at fitday.com or sparkspeople

exercise at least 30 min a day.

Have you ever tried weight watchers imho it is the most balanced livable eating plan out there they help teach you about portion sizes etc.. You may want to join a group in your area - this also gives you the weekly accountablity factor (weigh ins)

What happend in your life that made you go back to your old eating habits.

Your doc is right - you had to have been eating to have gained 10 lbs - this is why keeping a food diary is very important - when you write down everything you put in your mouth you will realize that you are eating more than you think. Did you get comfortable with a candy here or a burger there and pretty soon you are all the way back to square one with you eating

You lost a considerable amount of weight - and you may have been rewarding yourself with food. I have done so good this little bit won't hurt.

That's why I say that you have to take the word DIET out of your vocabulary - diet's don't work - you go off them and gain all your weight back.

Call your doc to see if you can get in sooner than April - and tomorrow make a committment to yourself to eat healthy for the day - then the next day do the same keep repeating it each day - throw out all the junk in your how - go to the store stock up on healthy foods (low fat s/f) - when you need support or something to distract you from wanting to eat - come here talk to us - take it one day at a time and think back to how much better you felt when you lost your weight in the beginning.

You can do this - you have done it before - I know it's hard to get back your motivation - but looks like you have cuz you have come here asking for help.

Pbing is productive burp - when your food gets stuck and come back up not as bad a throwing up - but almost the same -

You are strong - you have proven that - you just have to remind yourself..

Welcome to LBT!! You couldn't find any better support than this site.

I would say one of the first things you need to do is schedule your fill. Your doctor wants to see you healthy!

Another suggestion is get out your measuring cups and reacquaint yourself with portion sizes. You can start that before your fill. Then when you get a fill and have to go to liquids/mushies you will find it easier to get back into the groove.

A PB is a productive burp - which is basically a vomit from the upper pouch of your tummy - no bile or acid in it. That happens when you eat too fast, don't chew enough or take one extra bite.

You can do this. Get on here when you get frustrated and rant, cry, chat or whatever you need. Someone is always here to lend a hand!!!

{{hugs}} for you :tt1:

Wombat

There is no reason to be ashamed. It took alot of courage for you to get back on track. You did it before and you can do it again. We are here for you. (((Hugs))). God Bless.

Thanks for posting!! It will help a lot of people. Life gives us a lot of "do overs". This is just one of those. I am glad you have given yourself the chance to "do over"

Hi everyone. I'm new here too. Had my surgery October 2006. It took a long, long time and lots of adjustments before I had any restriction at all. I would say that it only really started working June/July 2007. I have since lost 46.5 Ibs. Slow I know but still happy with the results. Have been quite poorly on and off with it. Had a couple of yeast infections in my gullet which cause immense pain. Feel I am getting back on track now though. My question is, does anyone suffer sever night time reflux after an adjustment. I get it terribly all through the night (I wake up choking and struggling to breathe:confused_smile: at least 9 or 10 times). This lasts for a good couple of months after. I know it is not due to eating or drinking as I don't have a thing after 5.30 pm at these times, not even Water. It almost feels like it is just saliva refluxing, nevertheless, it is extremely uncomfortable. Any advice?

Hi kozel10!!

Usually reflux like that at night needs you need a tiny unfill. I don't have this issue but have read it on here somewhere. Try doing a search for nighttime reflux because this is exactly what they describe!

good luck to you!

wombat

"That's why I say that you have to take the word DIET out of your vocabulary - diet's don't work - you go off them and gain all your weight back."

Amen Janet!! this isn't a diet this is a way of life!

DF877- This is the best site on the web!! These people are here for US the once who NEED the help. Post/pre op they all help because we are a BANDED FAMILY!!

I've found out in the past month that NO ONE knows what we are going through! Except our little BANDED FAMILY across the world!

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! HUGZ!!!! to all my sisters and brothers that are banded for life!!

"That's why I say that you have to take the word DIET out of your vocabulary - diet's don't work - you go off them and gain all your weight back."

Amen Janet!! this isn't a diet this is a way of life!

DF877- This is the best site on the web!! These people are here for US the once who NEED the help. Post/pre op they all help because we are a BANDED FAMILY!!

I've found out in the past month that NO ONE knows what we are going through! Except our little BANDED FAMILY across the world!

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! HUGZ!!!! to all my sisters and brothers that are banded for life!!

Ruby

Truer words never said :D-

You are going to do great :tt2:

YOU CAN DO IT!! We are human and prone to mistakes. Just pick yourself up and start again. You have so much support here and we are just happy that you are not giving up. We all fall short almost daily but each day is a new day!! Good luck!

My daughter gave my husband (both of them also bandsters) Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap Band for Life" for Christmas. It is a basic little book about the banding process, fills, potential complications, and definitions of banding terms. I use it as a reference book when I have a question, or sometimes even when somebody writes in a question on the forum.

You can order the book on Dr Ortiz's website. It's not deep technical stuff, but gives a good basic overall review of banding.

Lap-Band For Life - The Official Guide To Lap-Band Surgery

Hey guys, how do I put one of those weight loss charts on?

kozel - here is how ....

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

I understand feeling ashamed... I'm in the same boat and just went back to the Dr after almost 4 years! I'm sure that you and I are not the first to fall off the wagon and unfortunately won't be the last either. You can do it!