Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NHS Referral - What happens next ??

hi all

I went to derby hospitial end of nov 07 and was told that the board of docs would dicide if i was suitiable for op..they told me its six months waiting time for op. never heard anything? my gp contacted them about 6 weeks ago.

then by shock /suprised i got a letter on thurs last week saying having the op on 30th may 2008 the day before my 5th wed anv....

I have to go on 7th may for my pre-op assment.

I have also been going to slimming club started the day before i went for my first hosp appt in nov and have lost 2 stone yah.. and thats not going back on anymore lol..

dont no whether this has helped?

Ann x:thumbup:

How did your pre-op go? Pretty straightforward stuff?

I go in for my second operation at Derby on Friday 23rd. The tube between the port and band is leaking and they are going to do an 'exploratory' operation to see if there is any other damage to the port and band. If there is, they will replace the parts. I'm not looking forward to the operation, but at least I'm in better shape now than for the first one.

Good luck with your operation, I'm sure it will go well.

hope all goes well for you.

yes wasnt anything to worry about cant wait for the 30th now!!!!

just had my last large pub lunch lol

I just wanted to say from ur other pics i seen you are looking great!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann

Hi all :teeth_smile:

I've read this thread with such interest as I too am being referred to Doncaster today by my GP. I'm from Worksop, so nearest hossie to me should ideally be Sheffield, but for the moment Sheff have tightened their criteria & although I've had a heart attack at 38 years old & am diabetic, they require me to have a BMI of 45 or above. Mine is currently 40.5.

I've particularly enjoyed reading Steve's story. How did your second op go Steve?

Hi all :teeth_smile:

I've particularly enjoyed reading Steve's story. How did your second op go Steve?

Hi and thanks for that.

The second operation went well, with the tube and port being replaced. The port was also resited, now on my right side just below my ribcage. I also had a fill of 3cc during the operation. I go for a second fill in two weeks.

I used to teach at Hartland School in Worksop - happy days.

That's excellent news :biggrin: I had a look at your blog earlier, you look so great on your most recent pic. You can see the weight loss on all of em so clearly though. I can't wait till I am doing the same !!!!

I went to Portland School btw, left in 1984, before your time there I am sure.

Hi everyone, just found this site and it seems gr8, well done to everybody who has had their band. Can anyone give me advice on how to convince my doctor for a refferal, i have spoken to her once before about it, but she said i had to try their weight management programme and prove i could loose on that otherwise i would never be considered, even though my bmi is over 50, i am due to see her again next week but i just feel she is going to say the same thing.

Any advice will be greatly apppreiciated, i am desperate to get it done

Thanx

Natalie :lol:

natalie good luck with your gp i was lucky mine refered me straight away didnt even have to go in to see her! id ask her to refere you and let the consultant make the desition but they do like you to have tried all other avenues first ie orilstat and reductil as id alread done these she was fine with it. if she wants you to loose weight befor refering ask how much specificly you have to loose so you have something to work for and let us no how you get on. also see another dr in the practice and be strong and insistent x

Hi, thanx for your reply, yeah i think i will just be insistent and see another doctor is she's still not interested, and yeah i have tried Reductil and Accomplia but they failed too, accomplia gave me real bad migranes :thumbup:

anyway thanx i will go and chain myself to the doctors desk next tuesday until she say's yes Lol :thumbup:

Natalie

Sounds like a good plan to me nataflee lol

I too was lucky like serenityyy. I went into the surgery fully prepared to beg, but my GP was all for it instantly, she reckons I'll be an ideal candidate. I've tried many slimming tablets over the years, so that's already on my files, as yours will be.

If I were you, especially with your BMI, I'd read up as much as I can on the subject & be prepared to argue the point with her if need be. Try to get her to justify why she's refusing you, if she does. I'd also see another doctor in the surgery too if she says no again.

Good luck xxxx

ok, thankyou u both have been really helpful, there is a doctor at my surgery who is meant to be really good, so i might go and see him aswell, well im going to try and get in before tues now, cuz i wanna find out what she's gonna say, so i'll be keeping everything crossed and i will keep you posted on what happens :lol:

Natalie

can u plz tell me how often the give u fills i have had 2 fills but no restricton yet was wondering should i ask them to fill me up completly i have 14 cc band was also banded at derby general by mr leeder very good dr

Hi again, good news, the doctor said she will reffer me, to either solihull or derby, which i am sooo pleased about.

She said i should'nt get my hopes up yet as i have to go for an assesment at thier clinic and if i dont meet thier criteria could still get refused.

has anyone else been to either of these clinics?

Also what is the assesment like, i would like some info so that i can get prepared for it

All adivce greatly appreciated

Thanx

Natalie : )

That's brilliant news nataflee, at least you got over the first hurdle now :cool:

I'm currently under referral to Derby. There's a 7 page referral form your doc has to fill in, detailing things like your previous weight loss history etc, then they ask for blood tests. The actual hospital replied to me within days of receiving my referral, just to let me know they'd received it. My bloods were done a week ago, so I'm hoping for another letter with an appointment date this week.

I'm really impressed with everything I've read on this forum & others about Mr Leeder at Derby.

Good luck xxx

can u plz tell me how often the give u fills i have had 2 fills but no restricton yet was wondering should i ask them to fill me up completly i have 14 cc band was also banded at derby general by mr leeder very good dr

I have had a more complex than usual fill history. I had my port replaced in May 2008 and was given a 4.5cc fill during the operation. I've had a further 0.5 fill making 5cc in total in a 10cc band. I can have fills on demand, although I feel pretty good about the band at the moment. I was advised that they don't normally go above 7cc in my band.

I would phone up Lisa Rickers at Derby and discuss your fills with her. She is very friendly and helpful.

Hi again, good news, the doctor said she will reffer me, to either solihull or derby, which i am sooo pleased about.

She said i should'nt get my hopes up yet as i have to go for an assesment at thier clinic and if i dont meet thier criteria could still get refused.

has anyone else been to either of these clinics?

Also what is the assesment like, i would like some info so that i can get prepared for it

All adivce greatly appreciated

Thanx

Natalie : )

Hello Natalie,

I have been banded at Derby. I went for an assessment in March 2007, which was a talk with the nursing staff about what I had done before to lose weight, what my diet was and what it would become post op, reasons for wanting to lose weight and then a phone consultation with the surgeon to discuss the procedure. I was accepted for surgery and then went on the waiting list, which was six months.

I then had a pre-op assessment two weeks before the operation, which was blood tests, ecg etc. I went on the pre-op diet they gave me and then I had the surgery in November 2007.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want any more details.