Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change of Life OT

Mita

Here is a little history of what is going on.

Mother Nature seems to be visiting more often than usual lately. Seems every 20 to 25 days or so.

In Jan I got somekind of attack weather it was Panic or hot flash do not know. I was in the the Bathroom and the heater came on while I was sitting there on the throne I felt warm then warmer then just dang hot, the floor seemed to get nearer and I thought I was going to pass out. Did I mention that my heart started to race and could not catch my breath. I ran to the front door stood outside in the freezing snow and waited till I could breath and the hotness went away. Now all the while my kids bless their heart are standing there with me. I felt horrible (I am 41 going to be 42 this year I think)

I mentioned it to the Dr and he thought that maybe (not to insult me) that is was a start to the change.

So here are my questions

1. What age do you normally change at?

2. What should I expect?

Bubba, my gyn told me that most women cycle for approx. 40 years and then go through the change. But he also said that signs and symptoms can begin much earlier. I am 41 and I began having periods when I was only 9. I, too, have been noticing some slight changes. Not looking forward to those hotflashes!!!

I am going to be 48 soon. Talk about nasty menses. 3 straight months of very heavy flow. Minor hot flashes I thought well here we go "the change is here." Not so the the Dr's office can to blood work to see if you are starting the change they check your hormone level and FSH Follicle(SP) stimulating hormone and a couple of others that flucatewith your menses and can tell you if you are pre menopausal or what. See a gyn if you can they are a little more versed with these things. Did your Dr do any blood work he should have with your symtoms. The room spining and heart racing things could be symtoms of other problems including thyroid. It turned out I'm not in the change but have some other problems that we are addressing. Don't worry or panic just take care of yourself and be good to yourself and get the blood work done to see in you are premenapausal.

Hot flashes are THE WORST!! I remember when I used to think the 'older' ladies were just hypochondriacs. OMG - I had a hysterectomy, they put me on hormone Patches, then, due to blood clots, they took me off COLD TURKEY. The year after was THE WORST year I've ever experienced. Thankfully, you live through it and it levels out, but I had no idea how terribly miserable they could really be.

I do not envy you, but if anyone asked me, I'd say it's better to just adjust than to ever be taken off those hormones. good luck!

Dr Phil's wife did a show for him about the change and talked about some drops you can put under your tongue for hot flashes. Here, I found this info on drphil.com:

supplements for Menopausal and Hormonal Symptoms

Robin McGraw shares a list of natural supplements that have helped her put her hormones back in balance and ease menopausal symptoms.

To Relieve Menopausal Symptoms

Black Cohosh

B12 and B6 Vitamins

Folic Acid

Inositol

"These four items are very good for overall menopausal symptoms," explains Robin, "especially black cohosh, which is good for hot flashes. The B12, B6 and folic acid help with mood and to ease you through the transition. The inositol also helps with mood. You take it at night and it helps you to sleep."

Essential Oils

Flax Seed Oil

Evening Primrose Oil

Vitamin E

Omega-3

"These are really good overall for hormone symptoms," says Robin. "Essential oils are good for joints because sore joints can be a symptom of menopause."

Menopause and Weight Gain

Robin goes on to explain that weight gain can be a symptom of menopause because menopause affects the thyroid gland, which helps regulate body weight. "When you get your blood work done, there is a range for the thyroid and your doctor can tell you if yours is normal. I bought a basil thermometer and every morning for 10 days, I put it under my arm and recorded my temperature. If it's even a degree below 98, then you are susceptible to having a low thyroid. Mine was 95. My doctor had told me I was fine, but mine was very low so I went on natural hormone therapy."

It was my Band Doc and he did mention that I should see My PCP or GYN Dr and let her know what was going on. so I will be making an appt as soon as they are back from lunch. Wow if that was a Hot Flash put me out to pasture now and shoot me.

That was awful the rest of the day I was so paranoid it was going to happen again. Even told my oldest if Mommy falls down and goes to sleep please call 911 and don't let your little brother outside. I even now turn the thermosate down before I go into the bathroom how odd is that? Well I will be sure to ask for blood test to see what is going on we have a history of Thyroid problems in my family.

I have been taking B-12 Plus Folic Acid started it right before I was banded but will check into the other Vitamins as well.

Thank you. Thank You

My Mom was through menopause at 38. I started five years ago, and just turned 44. I'm down to about 2 periods a year, and my hot flashes have mostly disappeared.

The night sweats were the absolute worst for me. I can't wait till it's all really over!!

Talked with My Mom and she says she did not have any Hot Flashes or Sweats that she passed thru it calmly. Hope that is the road I follow but we will see when I go for my check up which is now in April.

I'll be 55 in a few weeks and I don't miss dealing with those surprise visits. I used the hormone patch until the news release stating there was no proof estrogen prevented heart disease and trashed everything I was taking. I have a friend 4 years older than me and she still suffers with heat attacks.

Bubba my guess that would be a drop in blood pressure than caused that. I'll bet you were going poopoo when that happened too. It's an awful feeling.

Funny, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the same subject! I'm going to be 48 next month. I've had only a couple of hot flashes in the last two years. Until last fall, my periods were very regular, 30-31 days apart. But in the last few months they've been only 21 days apart, and the first two days are way nasty, if you get my drift. I wasn't sure if maybe my band had something to do with it -- probably just coincidence, but who knows?

Shamrock, I'm going to take your wise advice and get checked out. I've put off a gyn checkup for over a year now, and much as I hate those stirrups I don't want to be an idiot about something so important. BTW, when do you turn 48? This is our Chinese astrological year!

Pat actually I was just sitting there. Cannot remember what I was doing that was enough to freak me out. Anyway mentioned it to my Doc yesterday and she says she will surely test me when I go in for my yearly. Other than that going to count the days till my next visit with Mother Nature since she is going going almost gone.

Zoe your not kidding when you say the first couple days are nasty. Knock on wood it does not get worse.

Excess weight can cause "Dysmenorrhea", usually because our fat causes hormonal imbalance. Uterine fibroids can cause it, polycystic ovaries can cause it. I'd bet a pretty large percentage of those of us still not at goal have menses issues. Nasty is right, I'd love to have my DH experience it for a few months!

My periods stopped at age 48 or 49. But for about two years prior to that I was having some symptoms, especially sleep disturbance, hot flashes, irregular periods, etc. I kept going to my gyn and he drew my blood for hormone tests and kept telling me I was not going through menopause. He actually told me I should see a psychiatrist. Well, for someone who was not going through menopause, it's funny that I am completely post-menopausal only a year later! Read up on perimenopause. Symptoms start prior to menopuase. I guess my former gyn didn't know that. :angry

Now, I still have flashes daily or almost daily, but they are pretty mild. Not like my office mate who keeps the temperature in our office at about 65 degrees! My hands get so cold I can't type.

It's good that you asked this question. Women don't talk about it enough. I guess there is a stigma in getting older. When I went through it, I really did not know what to expect.

Nancy

Thanks Ladies..I'm 45...I'm just about like Zoe..fairly regular untill a few months ago. I did notice how heavy and painful my cycles had become about a year ago. So I adressed this to my OBGYN who suggested a IUD called Myrida(I'm guessing on the name, knew it started with a M) This IUD releases very small amounts of progestrin, works for 5 years and many loose their period compleatly. I got all the insur. aproval and I'm lyeing on the docs table when she informs me she can't install it due to a fibroid in the way. That was 3 months ago. I'm seriously thinking about haveing that fibroid removed. What do you think?

Bubba, Best luck with Mother Nature.

Pam, thanks for the list.

Hi Zoe, I will be 48 on March 23. Regarding this Menses thing, I was regular all my life then, BAM I started my period on Nov 11 2004 and it did not stop until GYN put me on Provera 2-16-2005, Heavy don't even descibe it sometimes, I go in for a D+C, hystoscope and biopsies on Monday 3-8-2005, I think some of it is Premenopause even though the blood works said no. PCP seems to think alot of my problems are d/t my weight. He put it in his letter to the insurance. I will be asking the GYN for a letter also, figure it can't hurt. I feel good haven't had pain or cramping so I'm not to worried. One more step on my journey this year, one more step toward getting my band. Life IS good.