Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting banded on 1/28 and scared

hi all i am new to this site and im being banded on monday 1/28 and im so scared......i have a 10 month old baby girl and all that i can think about is what if i dont make it through the surgery..........did anyone else fel this way.........

I feel this way. I am scared about the anasthesia. I have never been put to sleep before. I know feel comfortable with my Doctor, though and I am sure that everything will be fine, and I am sure that everything will be fine for you, too. I dont have a surgery date yet, hope to be banded in February, waiting for insurance approval.

thanks for the support....good luck to you and i hope you get your surgery date soon.....i am mostly scared about the anasthesia as well.....i have had surgery before when i was like 15 years old but i dont remember much about the anasthesia.....

I can totally relate! This was my first surgery ever....so I had the same worries about being put to sleep and NOT waking up. My kids are a little older (9 & 11) but that was a HUGE fear of mine too. So I'm very happy to tell you that I made it through my surgery with flying colors on the 17th of January. You will be fine too! Tell your anesthesiologist your concerns and he/she will help you feel more as ease.....you will be able to talk to the nurses and most likely the doctors before your surgery. I was also afraid of being nauseous after waking up....I was a little bit and they gave me meds and it worked!!!

I too was scared - I actually started to cry as I was wheeled into the surgery room. I have 3 kids (ages 6, 4, and 2) and was terrified that something would happen, but everything was fine. I realized that my risks from being obese are much higher than the risks for surgery, and that because of the surgery I will be able to be a better, more active mother to my children. Hang in there - you will be fine! I am 3 days post-op and feel great. Good Luck!

well i have had numerous surgeries and i was scared too. i think it's normal to be nervous about surgery.

i just kept telling the anaethesist how scared i was...i was telling everyone, the nurses, the surgeon, the anaethesist... i think they couldnt wait to put me under :)

still, i figured it helped with the nerves to talk about it :cool2:

t

I had surgery on the 8th, I was terrified. I hate being put out, only one other time was I put out and I was not happy I had to do it again. Just talk to everyone, let them know how you feel. You will be fine, they take great care of you. I was pretty nausiated when I woke, and they gave me meds and it worked great. Other then that, I was good to go. I came home with an hour. Make sure you get a perscription for nausia meds so you can have them ready for you when you get home, it will come in handy!! Nausia comes and goes for the first few days. It will be over before you know it!

I was scared also. Never had surgery... was worried about going under. The day of the surgery though I was just excited. Couldn't wait for it to be over. My husband said something that totally calmed my nerves, so I will share it with you.

He said if someone told you that by driving to work you had a 1 in 2000 chance of getting killed, would you not drive? Probably wouldn't stop you. And that is just driving to work. This surgery will change your life!

Also I knew that in my family, the likelyhood of me having to have heart bypass surgery in my 50's or 60's would be a REAL possibility given my family history. So I would much rather go under the knife in a controled situation, ie I chose to with good health, than have to go for an emergency surgery under poor health.

You will do fine! :cursing:

I was banded on the 25th and came home today. I was the same way. driving to the hospital i was thinking "i can't do this". I had myself so freaked out that the doctor took one look at me when he walked in the room before hand and knew i was scared as hell. Don't ask me why.. I had my knee rebuilt 3 years ago and was fine.

Anyway, it went fine and my head that was killing me for 3 days before is now fine. everything that everyone posted on here was to the tee. You will be fine. Hang in there.

*big hug* You can do it, you will be fine! You will be in the great hands of many very excellent professionals who know what they are doing - you aren't getting your surgery done by some back alley black market kidney stealer! You'll be alright!

I don't have children so I cannot empathize with the thought of leaving a child but I can say - you're having the surgery to make yourself healthier and this surgery will be done by people who are professionals. You probably have a higher chance of getting hit by a bus then dying in surgery. You are having this surgery to PROLONG your health and your life for your self and your family.

I've been under anaesthetic 4x now and for whatever reason have never been scared or worried about it. You lie down on the surgical table, they put a mask on your face and tell you to just relax and breathe and that you will be feeling relaxed shortly - before you know it you are waking up in recovery and everything is all done! *hug* If you have never had anaesthetic before be sure to make sure you keep the hospital staff informed if you feel nauseous at all as you do not want to be throwing up from it with your newly placed band (a side effect that affects some people, knock on wood I'm not one of them).

Feel free to check out my blog if you haven't already and I have posted my entire surgery experience.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! AND YOU'RE GONNA KICK @$$ AND TAKE NAMES!!! Before you know it you'll be eating Jello counting down the days until it turns into yogurt LOL!

Your feelings are completely normal, but you can do it! I was banded on 1/10, and I have 2 kids (12 and 14). I didn't start to get nervous until the day before, and then panic set it! You should have seen me on the ride into the hospital the morning of surgery!

Then I started thinking a few things. First of all, by getting the surgery, I am probably adding 10 - 15 years to my lifespan, and getting a better quality of life. Second, this procedure lasts 45 minutes. In terms of being under anethesia, that is a very short time! My husband is a doctor, and several of our friends are anethesiologists. They talk about surgeries lasting for 5 hours, 7 hours or 10 hours! Being under for 45 minutes is pretty safe. You are going under a pretty 'light' general anethetic, compared to other surgeries. Finally, I kept on thinking, "If I don't get the surgery, I will probably be 10 pounds heavier one year from today. If I get the surgery, I will probably be at least 50 pounds lighter than I am, one year from today!" Thinking about that, made me remember why I was doing this. By the time I checked into the hospital, I was feeling much calmer.

This so plagued my heart! We have two boys, 5 and 3. This is what gave ME peace, it is a verse out of Ephesians.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Go forth with the boldness that you will be a healthier, more energetic mom, than you have ever been. Blessings to you, you'll do fine. I am out one day and I feel a million times better than I did yesterday! This procedure is but an hour of your life, you have the rest to LIVE and LOVE!

U are not alone. I was so scared!!! I wrote the good bye letters to my children and husband, and even made out a living will. I am actually glad to read that I am not the only person to have these fears. The good news is I was banded on the 16th of Jan. and I am still alive and well! As a matter of fact I actually went to the high school track today and walked a mile without having to stop and rest. And the best part is that my blood pressure is already back to normal levels!! That alone is priceless to me.