Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op: So depressed... so lost

L.A. Girl,

Why did you go off your anti-depressant last March? Were you under doctor's care, or did you take yourself off the medication? If you have a diagnosis of depression, I recommend you getting back on your meds. Depression is an ugly monster, and you don't want to let it rob you of your weight loss success. I've been on anti-depressant medication for over 10 years. What works best for me is Prozac Weekly, so the lap-band isn't going to stop me from taking it. So far, I can still get the capsules to go down, and they're not small. I just had another fill yesterday, and now I'm at 8 cc. My doctor still feels that the pill will work its way down.

I'll never forget surgery day. I was a nervous wreck. I didn't expect this, but I cried so hard after the IV was set in place. People seem to think I was grieving... not to mention my nerves. I was very depressed for the first three days, but little by little it got better. I received calls from family and friends, watched TV, got caught up on movies, and worked on word search puzzles.

I feel a sense of pride for all of us. I knew I was a strong person, but after surgery, I realized just how far I could push myself and how much courage I have. We all deserve to be proud of ourselves. Try to remember that when you're feeling blue. The best is yet to come!

You'll be in my prayers.

~Anne

I have to agree with Shortgal and Anne. Stopping your medication suddenly is not good. In addition, the combination of anesthesia and post-op pain medication can also make you depressed even if you don't have a history of depression! So yeah, you are just getting pounded from all sides. Add to the fact that you have been house bound and I can imagine that you are feeling pretty down.

If you can, I would try to get back on your meds. You have a lot of challenges ahead of you and you need to be in a good head space to be successful.

Good luck!

Stopping anti-depression meds isn't the problem here, I don't think. The OP clearly said that she stopped those way back in March. That's 9 months ago, plenty long enough to not be the culprit in this case.

It may take a little time before depressions rears it's ugly head after stopping meds. I went off mine once for an extended period of time and was fine. But a year or two later I could tell I needed them again and got back on them. She is most definitely depressed and at this point I would recommend getting back on them at least until she gets through the rough spots of the banding journey. Counseling would help as well to get to the bottom of her issues if any.

Can someone please help me. I am depressed because I can eat anything that I want and I do not get my fill until February 13th. I am trying to eat the right foods and I am sitting around the house because I am off work. I took the full 30 days off because I needed sometime office but I feel like I want to go back to work. Was someone else out there able to eat prior to their fill an once they go the fill things changed.

Please help me.

Banded l/15/08

Can someone please help me. I am depressed because I can eat anything that I want and I do not get my fill until February 13th. I am trying to eat the right foods and I am sitting around the house because I am off work. I took the full 30 days off because I needed sometime office but I feel like I want to go back to work. Was someone else out there able to eat prior to their fill an once they go the fill things changed.

Please help me.

Banded l/15/08

I'm a bit sad to read your message. Are you eating solids, or do you just mean that you're having a lot of liquids? I didn't think anyone felt much hunger so soon post-op. You can eat anything you want? You should be in week 2 of the post-op liquid diet. Are you following doctor's orders? Please be careful. It's critical that your new structure (stoma) has the time it needs to heal. You don't want to end up in the O.R.

I noticed some hunger by week 3 post-op, and it gradually grew. I have the larger 10 cc band. My doctor told me yesterday that it can be filled to 14 cc. I'm now at 8 cc. I've been able to eat more than I'm supposed to, to feel satisfied. Also, I was only lasting 2 hours before hunger returned. Hopefully, this fill will make the difference. I was definitely discouraged over the past several weeks when I knew I was eating too much (based on the guidelines we're given), but the good thing is that I was eating less than before surgery.

Because of swelling, you can't have your first fill until week 6. Do you feel like you're working on your bad habits as far as food goes? It's tough, I know. I think for many of us it's an ongoing challenge.

If you have any concerns about your hunger and eating, please call your doctor or nutritionist. You don't have to sit home wondering and worrying!

Are you drinking your Water? I've slacked in this area, but it really does make a difference between meals.

Hang in there!

~Anne

:hurray:

hey there, antidepressants have come a long way, many bandsters do well with cymbalta it can be opened and the grainules inside swallowed, but it has to go down with an acidic liquid oj or v-8 works---hang in there, consider some talk therapy....

I just want to say thank you to everyone who responded. It got worse before it got better last night. Hubby came home and started cooking in front of me and I got upset so I went to the bedroom so I didn't have to smell it.

He didn't even come to check on me. In all fairness I just glared at him and went to our bedroom, so my communication skills with him were inappropriate. Needless to say we had a little tiff by the time he came to bed four hours later. I was so upset that he completely ignored me all night after I had emailed him how depressed I was. I was a crying mess and my poor stomach was sore by the time I calmed down. I hope I did not do any damage by being so upset.

We have worked it out, and I am feeling better this morning. I still have some of my antidepressants left, so I think I will try going back on them gradually. The kind of behavior I was exhibiting last night was not fair to my husband and was a past indicator of when things were heading downhill.

Anyone here take Zoloft? I think if I start off on half a pill again I will be good until I can get in to see my Dr. I think half a pill will be small enough to swallow.

Thanks again everyone. Today is a new day and I plan on pulling my bootstraps up and getting back in the game.

Our old relationship with food is over and between that and the actual recovery from the surgery, it can leave us with a lot of new emotions or old emotions resurface.

We are coping with getting adjusted to a new way of eating and we have to deal with our head hunger as well as belly hunger. To do this we must be as emotionally stable as possible, so if meds are needed to stablize us, then I say take them. It will make an already difficult process a little easier.

We are human, we are weak sometimes. This is not the time to try to be a hero and tough it out.

For the person recently banded and wanting to eat, most of us have been there. You must use willpower unitl you get the right fill. It could take several fills until you get restriction, so just get your head together and get on a diet. Track your calories, track your Protein and wait for your fill. I know that's not why we got the band, but if you don't want to gain weight, then you might have to diet. It is especially important in the first six weeks to follow the post op diet your Dr. gave you. You want to heal properly and not screw up the band.

Most of us have been on diets half of our life, so what's a few more weeks?

Is there a particular reason why people are trying to get off their meds after surgery? I am just curious. I am on a variety of meds. for depression/anxiety and have been on them pre-op and post-op...

I didn't try to get off them after surgery. I went off them in March because of some BAD advice from my RE. (Reproductive Endocrinologist) I have been doing well managing up until now.

:hurray::rolleyes2::frown::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:Hi, L.a Dont Worry Everything Is Going To Be Better Every Day Just Be Strong End Pray. All Of Us That Have Gone Tru This Surgery Can Tell U That It Wasnot Easy At All But It Sure Got Better,stay Strong My Friend You Will See That It Will All Be Worth It And Soon You Will Be So Happy. Take Care And Any Time You Feel Down Just Let Us Know, We Are Here For You.

Why can't you take your Zoloft? I take Lexapro and never had to stop. I take it at night and wait 10 min. between taking anything else. I am 3 weeks post op. I am assuming it won't change after my first fill.... Keep your head up and think of the end result and how great you will look and feel!!

Good Luck,

Kelle