Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

See here is my problem...you all have a job and an income, I am on SSI (trust me I get less then $10 a month but keep it for the insurance) anyway by the time we pay the rent, we can barely pay the utility bills. Let alone spend $50 for a drink mix just for me. I will have to find out if the VA can supply this while I need it. If not the cost will be a major issue for me...which is why I am concerned that I will not be approved on that fact alone. :tt1:

A lot of the Protein supplements are expensive. I found one, however, that's decent and relatively inexpensive. I bought it at Target. It's EAS 100% whey Protein. It comes in chocolate and vanilla. I like the chocolate. 23 g per scoop--30 scoops in a canister, selling for around $13. So for about $26, you've got enough protein for the month. I just found it at Sam's (our version of Cost-Co), also, for around $30 for 90 scoops (45 days). That's not too bad, either. Walmart had a similar product, for just a few more dollars.

I can't use it for the 3 days prior to surgery or the week after, when I will be on Clear liquids. The dietician said I could either a) go without protein during that period, or :rolleyes2: use a clear Liquid Protein. For that, I used a fruit punch flavored Liquid Protein (I forget the name--black bottle, red lable, 3 TBSP per serving/18 gr protein) that I mix with a little flat diet sprite. The bottle sold for $30, but at GNC they had a buy one get one half off, so I bought 2 for $45, and that should get me through those 10 days, plus another 20-30, I"m guessing.

I tried the Isopure and another sports drink type protein mix from GNC--roughly $4/day. HATED THEM! I did like a product called ProSlam 45 (45 grams protein), lemon lime flavor, that sold for $4, as well, but for the money, this will be a "treat".

I'm pretty content with the less expensive options.

slbindc, check the label first before eating it! :biggrin2:

I was to start my pre-op diet today but started a week ago just to get myself ready. Not sure I'm doing something right, will be calling the Dr. office this pm. Having leg, back & lower belly cramps as of last night. After a week, maybe not getting enough of something???

I'm drinking 2-8oz Protein shakes (Breakfast & lunch) and steak or chicken for dinner w/vegi & salad, between 500 & 565 calories. The shakes are GNC 100% Whey Protein and I like them but have only tried the banana Cream & Cookies & Cream. Better with skim milk but not bad with Water. ($15 for 1 lb & buy 1 get 1 half off) I went with smaller pack to see if I liked it.

Also got Body Fortress Whey Protein at Wally World, not as good but can live with it and cheaper. ($14.50 2lb container, but only 1/2 full)

Before I knew better, I was using a DELICIOUS Protein Powder by HMR, which a friend said was used in hospital programs. But when I looked at the SUGAR grams (11 !) versus Atkins Advantage cans (only 1 g sugar), I made an immediate purchase at the drugstore. Maybe I'll use the HMR drinks when I'm nearer goal. My surgery is next Wednesday. I'm on the pre-op semi-liquids diet and living on--shakes, sf sicles, Jello, cottage cheese, light yogurt. Anyone found a tasty clear broth? ? thanks

Hey Guys

I had my surgery on January 17 as well and consider myself to be doing quite well. I have not been sick and have been able to use liquid

Tylenol for the discomfort I am having. I had to have a hernia repire so I having pain in my chest, left shoulder, and back. Was told to expect these things to happen. Ive done my liquids as instuctored, but sometime find myself feeling hungry befroe bed time. I try to stick with suger-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles, but still I don't to eat those too late either. Any suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had any Constipation with the liquid Protein in fact its been quite the opposite, my guess is if it goes in soft it comes out that way as well (sorry for the mental image). But so far so good for me. I will be banded on the 4th the doc just changed my date because they had someone cancel. . .lucky me!

I have not hear of the Isopure until reading it here, but I found some PureProtein (35gm) at GNC. It is really good and they have it on special with your GNC card. I rather have it than Atkins and Slimfast gives me too much gas, so I've given up on it. I go in the morning for my first check-up and will keep you guys posted. I've basically stick with Protein drinks for my three meal thus far.

Be Bless

Debra

I didn't have any problems with Constipation during my liquids phase. You may want to add some FiberSure to your drink if you have concerns, but I don't think you should have any. If you have your vitmain, start them now so they will be in your system. Centrum chewable or ActiveCal chewable from GNC.< /p>

Hey you guys have been talking about the liquid diet and my doctor put me on a four week liquid diet. all I can have with it is veggies. I am at the end of my second week and it really sux. I am uncomforatable, starving, and getting sick of chocolate vanilla and bannana. it is called bariatrix essetials.

Kaly

I don't have a surgery date yet, but plan on setting one next week. But I'm curious about this pre-op liquid diet, could someone explain this to me. Why, how etc? I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!:redface:

What the heck is it with the unrealistic 3 weeks liquid then 3 weeks mushy diets? How unreasonable. I know every doctor is different but Singinmusicchic - I totally feel for you and everyone else that has to go through that. Best of luck to you cuz I couldn't do it for that long. You must have great willpower!

See here is my problem...you all have a job and an income, I am on SSI (trust me I get less then $10 a month but keep it for the insurance) anyway by the time we pay the rent, we can barely pay the utility bills. Let alone spend $50 for a drink mix just for me. I will have to find out if the VA can supply this while I need it. If not the cost will be a major issue for me...which is why I am concerned that I will not be approved on that fact alone. :rolleyes2:

My doctor & RD had me buy the sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast and mix it with skim milk. It's about $4 for a box of 8 pks and I was allowed 6/day. Now I'm 4 days post-op and I just started drinking it again; I see no reason at all to go buy hugely expensive stuff from a health food store!

I am scheduled for surgery on 2/4/08. Am starting liquid diet on 1/28 and am concerned about Constipation with the Protein drinks. Should I be concerned or is this not an issue?

I used the sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast with Fiber, and had no problem. However, I must admit that for the 10 days pre-op that I was on it, I cheated and ate a plain green salad with low-cal dressing every DAY because I thought I would die without eating! Probably added about 100 calories/day, but I did OK!