Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hi: Never apologize for having fun. I find playing computer games makes my time go so much faster and I never think of the refrigerator or Snacks. When watching TV food is all I think about. I find the stats interesting that the "gaming world" are now starting to realize that women make up over 50% of gamers. Hey, if I can have fun while loosing weight, what do I care if someone thinks I am having a second childhood. :laugh:

Thanks, Doddie!! You're right on!! And, oh, my gosh, now I've discovered a new one.... Challenge Sudoku!! OH, my! What fun!

Hey Phyl - all that brain work helps to prevent Alzheimer's according to some recent studies. That's a great reason to keep playing.

Why should the kids have all the fun?

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving, and were able to stay on your meal plans. I am celebrating Thanksgiving one week from today when my son, and my daughter come in from out of town with my three grandsons. So it was easy to stay on the diet yesterday; however, next week will be much harder. I am so close to losing 100 pounds I sure don't want to back slide now.

Howdy,

Sorry I've been gone so long w/o posting, but other than being a little lazy, consentrating on "FOOD" and what I can eat or not eat it's just been awhile.

I'm doing very well. Have not had any problems, so far I seem to be able to eat almost anything with no problems. Of course I'm being very careful in chewing everything very good and no Water 30 min before & after eating. I'm suppost to be in the "mushy" stage right now but not following it as strick as it says. Still am very careful doing it.

As soon as I went to more solid foods, I stopped losing for about one week, but now have started losing again.

22 lbs down so far.

I made an omelete today with turkey berger, onions, two eggs, low fat cheese, yalonios, cyanne pepper, with a little bit of salsa. Maybe something else, I forgot. It was too bit for breckfast, so had 1/2 than and the other half for lunch.

went down very good with no problems and I did feel full, very satisfying.

I just made a protien drink I'll have before dinner time.

The hardest thing I have found so far is making my mind think SMALL, but I'm starting to get a handle on it.

I'm starting to get long winded now, so will sign off for now.

Glad to hear most everyone is doing better as time goes on.

Don

Don

Glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that you are doing well post-op. We are all looking forward to watching your ticker go down.

Relax Karinlin. One day isn't going to break the bank, besides turkey and veggies are a great diet food and the band will prevent you from over indulging. Make good choices and enjoy yourself. If the odd choice is not so good the world isn't coming to an end. Having a family around you is the bonus. Congratulations on your goal of 100 lbs.

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving, and were able to stay on your meal plans. I am celebrating Thanksgiving one week from today when my son, and my daughter come in from out of town with my three grandsons. So it was easy to stay on the diet yesterday; however, next week will be much harder. I am so close to losing 100 pounds I sure don't want to back slide now.

I will be 60 on Dec 23

and feel like I am too old to get a lap band

I am on dialysis and need to lose some to be placed on a transplant list

on the other thread I did not mention my age and

I did mention dialysis and I freaked them out - it was in a chat room

they asked my age and I just signed off

I need to lose 80 -100 lbs

but 30 lost would get me on the transplant list

please give me advice

can anyone please add

what you eat in one day if you are past the healing point

where you eat regular foods

and thanks so much

twirl

I don't think you are to old to get the lap band. I was 67 when I got my band and feel better every day. I have a number of medical problems and just had a nuclear stress and follow up blood work and both doctors said I was doing great. I started at 300 lbs and went into surgery at 265 and as of today I am 209 and it will be 1 year on new years eve. I even went back to work after being retired for two years. You must be proud of you age and go forward with any thing that will help you. If this will give you more time with your family and love ones go for it.

Find a good Lap Band Surgeon and

explain everything to them and listen to their advice.

Best of luck and Gods Speed.

I will be 60 on Dec 23

and feel like I am too old to get a lap band

I am on dialysis and need to lose some to be placed on a transplant list

on the other thread I did not mention my age and

I did mention dialysis and I freaked them out - it was in a chat room

they asked my age and I just signed off

I need to lose 80 -100 lbs

but 30 lost would get me on the transplant list

please give me advice

can anyone please add

what you eat in one day if you are past the healing point

where you eat regular foods

and thanks so much

You are NOT too old for this surgery!!

One day's food:

small eggbeaters omelet for Breakfast, usually with some kind of seafood in it... i like imitation crab.

lunch is a medium size salad, usually with more seafood on it! Sometimes chopped up ham, though, or whatever left over meat we might have in the fridge. I use fat free Catalina dressing and I like a little vinegar sprinkled on top.

dinner is 3-4 oz of some kind of meat or fish. Last night I had a small filet mignon! Yeah, we deserve it!!

Chewy meat is difficult to tolerate, so since I can only eat a few ounces, I can justify splurging on filets! I buy a package of six at costco and can get probably two meals out of each one. So if it costs $20, so what if can get about 10-12 meals out of it! With my meat/fish, I have 1/2 cup of so of some kind of veggie. I try to alternate high carb veggies with low carb. So if I have peas one night, then broccoli or spinach, etc, the next. I usually have two Snacks a day. In the afternoon, about an ounce of cheese with a few veggie crackers (120 calories for 14, but I have about 4 of them). In the evening, I may have some more of those crackers with some salsa, or a little cottage cheese with diced peaches or some kind of no sugar added fruit. We buy those little individual fruit cups for me to have with my cottage cheese, and I always sprinkle some cinnamon on top. I do one bad thing.... I have two small glasses of wine every afternoon. I use a very small glass.... like a brandy sniffer type glass... so I can have two! It's psychological!! Yeah, I could have one regular size glass, but I prefer to use the small glass and have two!

So, that's my day of food.

We do go out to eat occassionally, usually not more than once a week if that. If we go out for breakfast...maybe once a month.. my favorite place has a seafood omelet! (Yeah, I eat a LOT of fish!) My leftovers will give me about four more mornings of breakfast!

Last week I celebrated my 65th birthday and I wanted to go out to dinner. Italian is my favorite, so I had spaghetti and meatballs. Serving size was fairly small, so I ate both of my meatballs and most of my spaghetti, had a small piece of bread crust (do not tolerate bread well and must be crispy), and I had a big girl glass of wine!

Thanksgiving... very small portions, but I did NOT deny myself any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods. Ordinarilly, I NEVER have taters & gravy, but I had a small poriton, and I had some stuffing, and corn casserole. Went it came to desert, DH cut himself a piece of pumpkin cheesecake and I took the little part that fell off of his piece! It was enough to satisfy me, and he gave me one bite of his pumpkin pie. I find that deserts taste too sweet for me since I am no longer accustomed to eating them, so a bite of his will satisfy me and I don't feel deprived!

This is doable!!

Yes, I could lose faster if I restricted myself more than I do and if I gave up my wine. But I"m down close to 100 lb in 16 mos and I am still losing, so I am satisfied.

I plan to lose another 75 lb. and I WILL DO IT!!

Very best of luck to you, and pray wisdom for you as you make this decision.

I am an RN, so I understand dialysis.

If you have your doctors' blessings,

GO FOR IT!!

Twirl,

I am 66 and having surgery this Thursday. There are a lot of people on this thread and others who have been successful with gastric banding, and lots of chronic diseases that have been improved or eliminated with this weight loss. I am very healthy and thankful for that, but have severe arthritis, so I am hoping to have a lot less joint pain and postpone my 2nd knee replacement a bit longer. You have a real incentive to do well, and will probably lose your necessary weight and be on the transplant list before you know it. Surgeons differ on their recommendations for post surgery diets, but most require a diet of 60-70 grams of protein/day, followed by vegetables and fruit as the pouch will allow. Most people are able to eat a good healthy diet after healing - just a lot less food and being careful to eat small bites and chew it to liquid! With your kidney problems, your doctor may have other Protein requirements for you, as well as hydration requirements. I think your specific food plan may be different than most of ours because of your specific health issues. Find a good surgeon at a Center of Excellence facility (for medicare coverage) and follow his/her recommendations to the letter.

Good luck to you!

if your doctor thinks it good for you go for it. I am 62 and was just banded 2 weeks ago so i really can't help with the diet but i will say this is one of the best things i have ever done. age has no part in this it is what you want and what is best for you. Good luck

had my surgery on 11/18 still feeling down very bad taste in my mouth because of the antibiotics I was on because I get a infection on my incision. I hope all will change:unsure:

Twril I bet everyone here was frighten about having the surgery, and we are all over sixty years old. I was ready to back out about a month before the surgery. Yes, there is a period of two to four weeks when you are on liquids and soft foods; however it is a short time and the beginning of a better way to live. I follow a low carb diet, no refined sugar, no white bread, and no white potatoes or white rice. If I am correct, this is also a good diet for a diabetics. I am not diabetic, but my doctor suggested this diet because I was a confessed carb junkie. I truly do not crave the carbs now, and believe me I did previously. I thought I would never be able to make it with out my soft drinks! Talk to a few surgeons, because only they can really elvaluate your medical condition. I know for myself, I feel much better the more weight I lose.

Doddie63 Thanks! That's good advise. I am so thrilled to see the family, that the food is only secondary. I love to cook, and this gives me a chance to please all of my thin kids and their thin spouses with some of their favorites. I will send home the fattening stuff with the one that is able to drive here. The other flies in, so that taking home leftovers won't work for him.