Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 8 Pounds in first 2 months... :(

I've been reading this forum for a while, and it really pumped me up, everyone seems to be losing so much! But I've been really struggling. I was banded on Nov. 29th, and I've only lost a little over 8 pounds. I just got my first fill this week and they filled it as much as they could, but I still don't feel too much of a restriction.

Is this normal? Does weight loss usually speed up once you get your fill? I just wish the scale was going down faster! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It's not like I haven't been exercising either. Hmmm...

Did you have a pre-op diet? I lost a lot just from that. Also, 8 pounds in two months is a good amount of weight, at least in my opinion. That is a pound a week. Hang in there.

I know it 's frustrating (believe me, I know :) ), but I keep saying to myself that in my life PTB (prior to banding) I'd have gained a few pounds a month.

So 8lbs is good. It's considered normal weight loss with the band (1-2lbs per week).

First fills RARELY give any restriction, or any lasting restriction. Most often it's the third or fourth fill that finally sticks with you. And remember, it can take a couple of weeks for a fill to "kick in" as well.

Check out Wendel's post about how the fills actually work in the FAQ and References forum here. It's very helpful.

If you've been exercising, you could very well be putting on some muscle. But even if not, you've lost 1 lb/week. The average weight loss for someone banded is 1-2lbs/week, so try not to be discouraged. You're very early in this process with only one fill. Even IF you stay at 1 lb/week (and I bet it'll increase!), in a year, you've lost 52 lbs. That's a chunk!

Cindy

A lot depends on your pre-op and post op diet. The fast you went from liquids to soft food, I think the slower your weight loss will be until you get some restriction.

You could count calories and track Protein intake for a few days to see what your intake is. If you're above 1200 calories weight loss can be slower, depending on your starting BMI.

Also, continue to watch your carbs. Eat your Protein first, then veggies then carbs (if you have room). Even if you have the band, if all you eat are carbs it will impede your weight loss. After I get my band and move back to real food, I will still be on a very low carb diet of 30 gms of carbs a day. I won't be able to move that number up until after I've lost all my weight and even then I will need to keep it at around 80.

I am one and a half weeks into my pre-op low carb diet and have lost a little over nine lbs and that is eating almost all the meat and veggies I want (i.e. no restriction from band). Try it and see.

I was banded on October 26th and have only lost 15 pounds and I, too, find it discouraging because it seems like everyone else is up to at least 30 pounds at this point. I just had my fourth fill today and am hoping,hoping,hoping that I get some good restriction this time. I am feeling desparate and like such a failure! Know you are not alone!

I had only lost about 22 pounds after 3 months, and 8-10 pounds was from the pre-op diet. It was very frustrating. After my 1st fill i still had very little restriction. After that 1st 3 months I got my 2nd fill and it really helped!! I am 11 months out and have lost 82 pounds and had 4 fills (the last one very small). When you get the right fill the band will work for you. When I am restricted I simply can't eat much, and although I still lose slow and steady, it adds up over time. Try not to compare yourself to others. I remember thinking I was so "behind" after 3 months, but now it has really evened out.

I did have a pre-op diet, but it wasn't very restricted. I'm not sure what my weight was before that though, I only know it from right after the surgery to now.

goodness you are not alone! I'm down about 24 lbs since my surgery and was thinking I should have lost more as well. However, that was unrealistic for me. I only have moderate restriction right now (3rd fill). The more research I read though - the more references I find to people gaining and/or not losing much until they hit that "sweet spot" fill point.

It may take time to get there - don't despair. We'll reach that "sweet spot" fill level and then this thing should kick in more!

I think even though we know this isn't bypass, RNY surgery has set so many expectations of fast weight loss after surgery - it's hard to mentally adjust to the 1-2 lbs per week. We want more than that!

goodness you are not alone! I'm down about 24 lbs since my surgery and was thinking I should have lost more as well. However, that was unrealistic for me. I only have moderate restriction right now (3rd fill). The more research I read though - the more references I find to people gaining and/or not losing much until they hit that "sweet spot" fill point.

It may take time to get there - don't despair. We'll reach that "sweet spot" fill level and then this thing should kick in more!

I think even though we know this isn't bypass, RNY surgery has set so many expectations of fast weight loss after surgery - it's hard to mentally adjust to the 1-2 lbs per week. We want more than that!

You hit the nail on the head socal. I think there are many of us who have had that moment, "Maybe I should have gone with RNY". But I can say that after my fifth fill (I've been aggressive, going every two weeks), I am having the restriction required to eat less. As you can see by my tickers, I am probably the slowest loser (not that I'm vying for a trophy :lol:). I'm patient and am so happy to have lost 3 pounds in the past week. I hope it continues.

Valerie

There is undoubtedly something you can do to speed up your weight loss. But, since we don't really know just what you're doing (or not doing), it's difficult to say what that might be. But, here's a link to a site that was taken from the Lap Band book by Jessi Ahroni, which outlines many, many factors that can impact weight loss. Maybe you can spot an area that you think you can work on:

Adjustments

Tami

I am considered an average loser at 1-2 lbs per week. You may be in that category. I'm surprised they filled your band all the way on your first fill. You may want to question them on that as to what size band you have and the size of your fill. Good luck.