Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I'm thinking that maybe I'm paranoid, but I want to make sure I keep my band for a long time. I've had one fill, and sporadically feel restriction. I've become very aware of my body cues and stop eating when I feel pressure. My question is, sometimes I don't get those body cues and I can eat and eat and eat with no pressure - like 2 bowls of Pasta, then some Cereal (i'm totally on a binge like I was never banded), no PB, nothing. If i'm not feeling any cues is it possible to stretch my pouch? Or is everything just passing through easily? My fill is 4CC's in a 10CC band, so I would imagine that I should feel some regular restriction?

I'm having the same issue, except I haven't had any fills yet - it's just 5 weeks since surgery. I don't feel any restriction - there's nothing I haven't tried eating and everything goes down real easy. However, I have forced myself to stop eating after a small amount. I'm also afraid of overfilling the pouch - I understand that can cause band slippage and I don't ever want to go through the surgery again!

I would talk to your doctors and possibly have a fill using the fluoroscope. I do not think the pouch would strech overnight ( I am not a doctor) ... schedule that fill and be careful not to eat more than a cup.

My husband has a 10 cc band and his first fill of 4 cc lasted only two weeks before he had no restriction at all. Sounds like you are ready for fill #2. Get the band working for you.

I have a 4cc band with only one cc. Sometimes I can eat and eat, and sometimes one bite will get stuck. For me, it depends on the time of day and my mood. If I'm in a hurry or even just tired. Just be always aware of how fast you eat. A lot of our problems begin with ---- mind over matter.

Good luck and stay positive..

I found out I have a 15cc band!!!! Curious how many cc's my first fill will be............I know they do them with fluoroscopy so they can tell at that time if it's enough or too much restriction.

Linzer,

Do you have the new Realize Band? I am going to Dr Abkin as well and will be banded on Feb 5th. I am getting the Realize band. How was your surgery? Right now, I am trying to eat like I have a band, and it seems to be working ok, although my work is so busy that I really do not have time to do much more than pick here and there.

Patti

Hi Patti,

No - I was one of the last of Dr. Abkin's patients to get the Alergan band. But I think he lets his patients choose which one they want.

Good luck on the 5th - it's a great experience.

I have a 4cc band with only one cc. Sometimes I can eat and eat, and sometimes one bite will get stuck. For me, it depends on the time of day and my mood. If I'm in a hurry or even just tired. Just be always aware of how fast you eat. A lot of our problems begin with ---- mind over matter.

Good luck and stay positive..

I'm only 15 days post op and I'm doing a little more than mushies. I find myself eating more than I should, and ALREADY feeling like a failure. Then (AFTER) I overeat, I worry about the band slipping or something. Has anyone been through this? I know now that HEAD HUNGER is going to be more of a struggle for me than I thought. I just want to know if I'm normal - I don't get a fill until FEB 11th! I've already lost 16 lbs as of last Monday but most of it was from my liquid diet. Mushies are good, but I'm eating a few more things than mushies. I went through this surgery as a final resort and now I feel like even SURGERY isn't going to help me :unsure: :smile:

If you are just out of surgery, you won't have restriction until you get a fill. If you aren't filled enough, then you'll experience being able to eat more. Until you can get to the doctor to get a proper fill, the best thing to do is volumize your food. Eat your 3 oz chicken on a bed of lettuce. Go back to the ol' Weight Watcher's diet or South Beach until you can get back on the Lap Band diet. I think this is vey confusing at first... having to alter your diet like this, but as restriction increases and decreases, diet must be altered as well. It will keep you sane. If you have no restriction, being on a Bandster diet is just utter HELL!

want2beme - i don't know what your post op diet was, but you are supposed to have 2 weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies, before you can eat proper food -- that is what janetmbama is talking about. if your doc didn't tell you to do this, i don't know how good a doc they are, and i would get a 2nd doc to check you out.

janet - i am having the same problem. i had my surgery last tuesday, so it has been just over a week, and it's not like i've eaten really anything bad, but i had an apple, i had a little salad... i did get very full and have some pain, and have the same concerns as you... am i going to hurt my body because the stomach isn't fully healed? if i am technically ok, am i going to stretch the pouch or cause slippage?

do you have any pain around your stomach area?

I have to say that every doctor is diffrent with diffrent pre and post op diets. My doctors say that I should be on liquids for 1 week then mushies for 2 weeks then to add regular foods 1 at a time untill you regain a regular menu.

Janet, I completely understand your frustration, I am in your boat completely. I had my surgery on 1/7 and I'm worried about the same things... stretching the pouch, wanting to eat (everything in sight) and the head hunger... I find myself constantly in the kitchen looking for my next bite to eat and it's very upsetting and has made a little more depressed than normal over it. I've worried about being a failure on this too and I feel it was a last resort. At least I'm not alone and I have TONS of questions for my doctor!! I hope he's prepared to answer them all!

As far as the post-op diets go, they are very different for individual doctors/groups and I don't think they're "wrong" one way or the other... my doctor wanted me on liquids for one week and soft/mushies for 2 and I feel VERY comfortable with this and certainly don't feel I'm compromising my health by doing one less week of liquids, nor do I think my doctor would compromise my health by advising it this way...

I've found out in the past few days that I am not alone in the way I feel (Like the SURGERY wouldn't even work for ME because I'm such a FAILURE), but the truth is - once the swelling goes down, I felt hunger and was able to eat more. Good to know I wasn't the only one going through this. Now I'm making myself eat only what I should, like a diet before I ever had the band, and just wait for my first fill. I've done great today - and I even exercised a little last night. I'm glad I have this site though - or I would have gone nuts!!

I am going to weigh again on Saturday and see if I've lost anymore and hopefully not gained!

Thanks to all that replied!!