Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DeLarla's Weekly Fun Thread

DeLarla

Okay, what's the most insane diet you've ever tried? As Harley Nana would say, "fess up."

Mine has got to be the Schick Center for Weight Loss back in the 80's. All the other kids spent their money on Spring Break vacations, while I paid $1,000 (huge money for a teen back then) for TORTURE CAMP.

The Schick Centers used electric therapy to make you stop smoking and eating. I went twice a week for "Electric Aversion Therapy." Each session I had to bring my favorite binge food. I'd sit in a sterile white room flooded with heat lamps. They'd attach a battery-operated electric zapper thingy to my inner wrist, while a Nazi drill sergeant stood over me instructing me what to do. I'd have to shove the offensive junk food in my mouth and chew, then spit in the trash. With every bite he'd give me a good zap, then make me shove another mouthful in. They made me dump the candy on the table, then they emptied a huge bag of sugar on top and made me cram tablespoons in my mouth. Each time the zapping got harder till I'd jump out of the chair a little. Then I spit and started again. This time close your eyes and shove more sugar in your mouth, only when my eyes were closed they dumped salt on top of the sugar so now I'm crying with my mouth stuffed with M n' M's, table sugar and horrifying dry salt - cheeks stuffed full and mouth so dry that the salt and sugar fell through my pursed lips like sand through an hour glass. Then as if I weren't humiliated enough with tears dripping into the sugar and salt making paste on me, they squeezed fish emulsion scent under my nose while making me grab rolls of fat and visualize how disgusting the junk food was with my left hand and mashing melted M n' Ms with my right hand. Just before I sank to the floor in heaving sobs, Hitler tells me to wipe the melted chocolate all over my shirt, then yells at me when I refuse. Try to picture a fat teenager, bawling with melted candy smashed in her hand sitting next to a trash can filled with spit-up food in a room smelling like the foulest dead fish, chocolate smeared all around mouth with salt/sugar past dribbling off her chin and an electric shocker taped to my baby-fine soft inner wrist flesh.

Here's my challenge: Top that.

Besides the Exercise in a Bottle, I use to go and pay someone to stick me with a needle for B12 shots. My secretary knew about the quack doctor I use to go to for years who would prescribe diet pills to anyone with $35.00 cash for the office visit, she use to laugh and tell me as long as I'd been going to him I should be skin and bones. I'll bet if you placed all the diet pills I've taken over the years end to end it would probably measure miles and miles.

ahmem. This thread is called "DeLarla's Weekly Fun Thread" and not "Oh Dear Gawd NOOOO!!!!!"

My most insane weightloss was spending every waking moment I wasn't at work in bed with my first husband. I think I lost about 20 pounds that first month... <blushes furiously>

Don't know if any of you remember or have heard of this diet or not but it was called the "Grapefruit Diet". I called it the "develop an ulcer while losing tons of weight diet". It worked but man all that grapefruit started giving me stomach issues. Too much acidity in the stomach. But man did it melt the pounds off. Of course as soon as I stopped due to the bleeding (minor but scary) I regained everything I had lost (30 lbs in two months) plus 15 more on top of that. SIGH!!

Lisa, my grandmother was in a constant state of depression and a nerve pill addict in her younger years. The family had to commit her at one point and they did the shock treatments on her. It never worked for her. She finally just stopped the pills herself and the family just supported her and she got through it. She was my strength and rock when I was growing up along with her daughter, my mother.

The Hollywood juice diet. You know the drink the juice loose 10 pounds in 2 days skeem? I lost 3 pounds and then was starving . I think I ate 4 days straight everything and any thing I could get a hold of and gained 5! UHHH!

Cracking up over Greg's McDonald's story! Penni, my friend got bad stomach problems but the docs couldn't figure out what was wrong till they found out she was eating vinegar every day. When she learned it had no calories, she practically drank the stuff on salads every day. She was literally pickling her stomach.

I remember all these diets. What about the Beverly Hills Diet? I lost and gained 60 pounds by eating very strange combinations of exotic fruits. I can never forget that one cuz a woman named Pearl from my office was losing weight like crazy on it. But she had zero pride, so the whole company knew when she was in the bathroom cuz she'd let it rip and the noises would echo throughout the entire warehouse! I'd rather die then let someone hear me poop (yet funny how I can discuss it on the world-wide web.)

Rebecca, please un-edit whatever you wrote! I want to know all the poopy details of the Milk Diet! Sorry, but I'm laughing, can't help it. We are a sick but lovable bunch, aren't we?

I also fif every diet in the world, must have lost 1000 bs in my life I did everything from the liquid protien, to going to South Carolina (Duke University)for three months to live on rice and grapefruit, fat camp, weight watchers, even had my jaw wired for one year (lost 100lbs) I could only drink. I did the injections, the amphetamins, I even figured that since I was an evening muncher I would try taking sleeping pills when I got home from work so I would go right to sleep and not binge ( this was pre kids)

The 18th of FebI was one month since being banded and am down 27lbs. My first fill is March 14 and so far so good.

OMG I too have been on every diet out there. All the miracle diet pills all the fad diets all the liquid diets, weight watchers, Jenny craig, on and on and on. I remember being on a liquid diet when I was in High School and being sick every morning at practice. (rifle corps) I was accused of being PG. I don't remember if I lost weight on it. (Cambridge was the diet). Oh well, all that has changed now. :D I love my BAND!!!!!

(LOL at DeLarla) also (LOL at Greg's "poo" statement) If anyone could hear me they would be sure I've gone nuts. I couldn't stop laughing for a while. Whew!!!!!!! Anyhow,

the last diet I tried before being banded was one involving drinking two large glasses of whole milk and eating two small apples every morning. I'm lactose intolerant... (need I say more?)

No unusually crazy diets.....just been on every one you can think of! Greg's experience - OMG - reminds me of the time I was driving home with a pizza, rushing to get home before it got cold. Ended up being stopped for speeding. Cold again....

Come to think of it, it might have been you, Greg, that was drooling all over my speeding ticket at the window of my car!!! C'mon, fess up, it was you wasn't it???!!! :D

I've lost sooooooo many pounds in my lifetime....but they've always managed to find me again!!! :D

well, probably the easiest 280 pounds I lost was when I got divorced...

Of course, those pound came back with a vengence when I married Mike... :D

"drinking two large glasses of whole milk and eating two small apples every morning. I'm lactose intolerant... (need I say more?)"

OMG - you have GOT to tell more! This one rules!

mine was while on phen phen

i was in college at night and worked full time during the day..

5 days a week this was my meals

breakfast- none

lunch- 1 can wild mushroom Soup

dinner- 3 subway chocolate chip Cookies 1 super large rootbeer.

i lost 100 lbs in 5 months

i gained it back in ohhhh about the same- 5 months after they recalled it...