Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first fill on Thursday

Hello fellow fab-forties -

I am having my first fill on Thursday and I am excited/hopeful. I had a really nice drop the first two weeks and then got stuck at 273.6 for almost two weeks. My nutritionist thought that maybe I was eating too little....man I have never heard that before. I was around 800 cals per day. Over the weekend I bumped up to 1100 per day and went up two pounds.

Any body else have this experience? How will things change after my fill? What is your typical daily intake? I do at least 35 minutes of aerobic exercise per day: swim, walk, weigh lift, elliptical.

Thoughts please…

Lanie

Many times it will work for me trying to up the calories. It seems to remind my metabolism what it is supposed to be doing!!!

My first fill to be honest was not a walk in the park. I had a different Dr. do the fill than did the surgery, and it was not as simple as I had hoped to find my port and inject it. I have a low profile port, so the area to hit it with the needle is small. But even with several pokes, it was less traumatic than I had imagined it!!

I got some restriction from the first fill, but not a lot. I had to remember to slow down, and chew well---but if I did, I could eat without issue. My first fill I was given 1.25cc. in a 9mm band which holds a total of 4cc.'s of saline when full. I went back 4 weeks later and was given only .50 cc. I never expected much from it, I mean it was half a cc! Boy was I wrong!!! I had tight restriction for about 2 weeks, and it settled in then, I was able to eat, just my amounts were really limited. That was the last fill I had....July of 06!!!

I eat pretty much anything, just less of it. I try to get my biggest part of my meal from Protein sources...then veggies, and finally if I have room, a bite or 2 of starch based foods.

I am much tighter in the morning still. For Breakfast I usually have 1/2 to 3/4 of a yogurt cup with granola in it.

Snack--if I have one in the morning which I usually don't---is almonds, or fresh fruit. For lunch I usually eat left overs. Today I am having left over roasted chicken, some green Beans, and a few bites of mac & cheese.

I usually have some cheese or an orange, or something in the later afternoon...it keeps me in check with dinner, or I can eat too much at one sitting. For dinner my DH wants of all things Chili Dogs. So I will make him chili dogs, probably with tater tots or some other thing he seldom gets!! I will eat about half a hot dog smothered in chili with cheese and onions---probably half a bun----well 1/4 of the bun. A tater tot or 2 and I will be way full! If I get hungry or want sweets later, I will have a fudgesicle. I tried the SF fudgesicles, but did not like them, so went back to the regular, eat one, it is not high cal---and then I am satisfied! Then I begin drinking lots of Water so I can have my pouch flushed out before bed---otherwise I tend to reflux when I lay flat. But I did that terribly bad prior to banding too, so it is not a band issue----just a me issue!!

Good Luck with your fill. Most Dr.s have you back on liquids or mushies for a day or 2---so be sure to stock up. Did he tell you whether to eat the day of the fill or not? Mine never said, I did, but never had an issue...I have just read on here where some Dr.'s told them not to eat prior.

Hope all goes well for you!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Hi Lanie ,

My fills have all gone really smoothly. The Dr. gets me on the first poke. There is a weird sensation when he removes the needle. It doesn't hurt, just feels weird feeling a tug coming from the inside. i've had 7 fills so far. After the 5th one I lost all restriction, but we have figured that it wasn't leaking. i think the saline spurted out when he removed the needle. After the 6th and 7th tho' my restriction is definately back. My dr. tells me not to eat or drink after mid-night the night before a fill, and says to do only liquids for 24 hrs. after in case it's too tight. That way things won't get stuck.

I know this sounds weird , but when I eat a pineapple/banana blizzard from dairy queen I will usually lose a pound or two. I guess it boosts my metabolism since I eat so little. i can't eat bread, fries, etc. The DQ people probably think I am the "crazy blizzard lady" 'cause I'll go there at least 2 - 3 times a week and always order the same thing !lol !:cool: One of my past students usually waits on me tho' and when I told her how much I've lost so far, she was really surprised. Now we just laugh when I order. I guess we all have to do whatever works for our bodies.

Sometimes it takes several days for the fill to kick in. Hang in there. I had to do 7 fills - about one a month- to get to my "sweet spot". Now I haven't had one since Nov. and I'm still losing a few lbs. a week. I'm not sure when I'll schedule my next one. I feel a little hunger in the mornings now which is usually my cue that it's starting to loosen up a little. I just take everything one day at a time.

I am getting my first fill on Wednesday afternoon. My question is this, can I eat in the morning before a fill, or will that make it worse?

I am having my first fill on thursday afternoon and I wanted to know if you ate food or did the liquids. I don't even know what size band I have. I guess I'll ask that when I go in on thursday. I don't even feel like I have a band right now because I can eat whatever I want. So I hope he gives me enough cc's to help with that.