Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think there is discrimination against obese people?

Have you ever suffered discrimination because you are big?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever suffered discrimination because you are big?

• Yes I have
    • No I haven't

I have been fat nearly all my life and the one thing that annoys me most (apart from my size 20 (UK) clothes) are the people who discriminate against 'big' people.

I read in a newspaper article a while back that 'big' people are far less likely to get a job if they are up against a 'normal sized' person. ETC ETC....

I have seen first hand that when you are big you are treated differently in society, in my opinion we are sometimes seen as being intelectually slower than 'normal sized' people or sometimes we can be seen as being lazy etc..

I believe that society should not be allowed to discriminate against obese people just as you are not allowed to be racist or discrimitive against people's age, sex etc..

Over here in the UK there are some NHS hospitals that will not give some treatments to obese people because they are obese!! It is disgusting. My mother needed an urgent scan and she was in an NHS hospital for 1 week. The nurse asked my Mum how much she weighed, soon after this each day the scan was cancelled (without explanation) I believe it was because my mother was classed as obese. Also people who need hip operations etc.. are being turned down because they are classed as obese (this particular lady was 14 pounds overweight)

We need to stop this discrimination now, obesity is a illness that is affecting more and more of us, we should all live in harmony no matter what we are like on the outside.

Lauren xx

Well, I totally agree with you, Milton, it IS a disgrace that society allows such discrimination to continue!

A recent study was performed over here with children and they found that most children do not list an obese child as "their best friend"--so it starts at a young age, sir. I've always felt that the obese are treated worse than minority races--but it's just not made as known.

I don't know what the societal answer is--but this tool for Portion Control is a great beginning for those of us who can get it!

Some of our insurance companies pick up the cost, as a hedge to potential future health costs they may have to fork out--but so be it, if it helps us all!

I answered no only because I have not been overweight for too many years and I dont have that experience that other people do. The poll was for if *I* have ever been discriminated against. If it had been my opinion if it existed my answer would be yes.

here's my story, one afternoon while walking into Dillard's ..yes i'll name the store...the ladies with the perfume samples were on again.... i was walking with my skinny sister.... this perfume lady ..reached past my face ..to give my sister a sample ....well, i and my sister let her have it!!!! and my sister told her what a dummie you are...i cant afford the perfume in here and she can...you just lost a potential sale!!! i was so mad and upset....what, fat ppl dont wear perfume?? ... and one more gripe...why are some booths in resturants so damn tight?? even my thin husband doesnt like them!! ..thanks for the place to fuss...gl everyone

i was so mad and upset....what, fat ppl dont wear perfume?? ...

And apparently our money isn't green either!!

I experienced this firsthand in Fortunoff at the jewelry counter. I must have stood there 15 minutes before I blew my stack and demanded to be waited on. (I stayed long after 5 minutes because I was SO FRIGGIN shocked that I was being ignored I needed to see how long it would last). I left the counter nearly in tears when I was finally waited on.

My DH thought I was crazy until she saw it firsthand in JCPENNEY at the watch counter. He was around the other side and I caught his eye and signaled him to pay attention. Same thing happened.....Purely ignored.

I'm well dressed, put together but just fat. I threw the same hissy fit voicing "My money is green mister, what you don't like to serve fat people here in JCP"? DH carted me out quickly......I think I may have blurted out "gee, I guess the diet is working, cause they can't see me"...and probably threw in some expletives.:smile::)

Discrimination is everywhere and even obese people discriminate against less obese people. I have friends that are large BMI like 50 BMI plus and they got the surgery first and once I saw the results I mentioned I might research it with a 33 BMI on a very tall frame. You would have thought that I told them I was getting breast implants on my back with the facial expressions I got. I understand where they are coming from since I hold my fat on my chest and stomach but the scoffs were hurtful. That is why I have never been to a seminar because I don't want to be looked at like a vain freak that when I walk down the aisle to find my seat, No Thanks.

I am assuming that most of the good people on this post are women and I would agree that there is discrimination against overweight people but even more when you are a lady than a man. My dad is over weight and wears a suit to work every day and people get out of his way because he looks like he owns the place. The perception is different I think but maybe that is just my view. I am not saying that it is fair but that is my perception.

Did anyone watch the new show on Lifetime last night called "Queen Sized" with Nikki Blonsky (the new girl from Hairspray). I watched and I cringed through the whole thing. I don't know how they can make a series out of it. It was awfully hard to watch and it's not like you are an actress in a "fat suit"....it's really her. Boy that's gotta be hard to do.

I know it's a popular show, but I simply cannot watch "The Biggest Loser" (every person in my office does and has a blow-by-blow the next morning).

Let's take some obese people and parade them in front of the world and let's TRY and see if we can make them a "normal" size, thus validating society's contention that we are obese from overeating and lack of exercise only!

Even with just 32 pounds lost, I cannot believe the difference in treatment from some persons (and thus I know how truly shallow they are!) My coworkers know my intellect level, but outsiders suddenly treat me much differently.

This is so sad, so very sad...

There are laws against discrimination against race, religion, age, sexual preference, sexual harrassment, etc. etc. The last hold-out? Weight related discrimination. Why is that? At work once a comment was made about those "employees over there taking up too much space by the sink" when me and another overweight employee were washing out our lunch dishes... He was a boss. Was I about to say anything? No, because half of the (thin) office staff were always saying the same type of stuff about us "fatties" behind are backs. Now that I've lost 39 pounds you should see how nice those same jerks are to me now!! Sickening.

The amazing thing is that it's not just "outsiders" that have preconceived notions about us and why we are obese.

I had to see a nutritionist for six months prior to surgery--the first visit was an hour, discussing my lifestyle, eating habits, food choices, etc. I have also exercised since 1983 (I love it!) and I told her that (working out two days a week at Curves and two days at the YMCA).

So the very next visit, we went into her office; and as she was opening my folder, she said "So-o-o-o-o-o, were we able to get ANY exercise in this month?"

I was flabbergasted and just sat silent for a few minutes--finally I said to her "You didn't even LOOK at my file, DID YOU?"

Needless to say, it showed me where her mindset was and between that incident and the fact that she had absolutely NO information on supplements ("I didn't learn that in college" she said), I put in the mandatory visits to her and wrote the experience off to total ignorance!! :smile:

I never had a problem with being waited on, and I am overweight. I feel so bad for any of you that have. I can't believe a salesperson would do that to you and miss the potential sale. That is ridiculous.

I have had the discrimination from waiting on people. I work at a card store and during the summer I was working with this really pretty girl, my age and she was skinny of course.. anyways if both our registers were open guys and even women that came in would automatically go to her register. I was like what am I not capable to wait on you. The thing that really annoyed me was she sucks at ringing people up and was always asking me to help her. Just because I'm fat does not mean I'm not capable of waiting on you. Geeez.

There are laws against discrimination against race, religion, age, sexual preference, sexual harrassment, etc. etc. The last hold-out? Weight related discrimination.
To be fair, there's still economic status, physical attributes we can't fix - at all or within reason, lots of personal lifestyle choices that aren't yet protected by law, etc.

I experienced these things thin, and I experienced them fat. I don't think that when I experienced them fat, it was because I was fat. But I do think I might have *perceived* them as being because I was fat if I hadn't also experienced them while thin. Being fat is something we're constantly aware of, and it's easy to say "It's because I'm fat" because of that, whether it is or not. Just like hen you know you look crappy some day, you're probably going to attribute any negative experiences you have to looking crappy. Thin, I've walked into a Dillard's nicely dressed and had exceptional service, and I've walked in casually dressed and had not so great service. Honestly, if I walked in fat and didn't get great service, I would be more likely to think -- person is having a bad day, person doesn't perceive me as a commission, etc. than "person thinks I'm too fat."

To be fair, there's still economic status, physical attributes we can't fix - at all or within reason, lots of personal lifestyle choices that aren't yet protected by law, etc.

I experienced these things thin, and I experienced them fat. I don't think that when I experienced them fat, it was because I was fat. But I do think I might have *perceived* them as being because I was fat if I hadn't also experienced them while thin. Being fat is something we're constantly aware of, and it's easy to say "It's because I'm fat" because of that, whether it is or not. Just like hen you know you look crappy some day, you're probably going to attribute any negative experiences you have to looking crappy. Thin, I've walked into a Dillard's nicely dressed and had exceptional service, and I've walked in casually dressed and had not so great service. Honestly, if I walked in fat and didn't get great service, I would be more likely to think -- person is having a bad day, person doesn't perceive me as a commission, etc. than "person thinks I'm too fat."

I am referring to comments made that were directly related to my obesity. Period. It was NOT "my perception" based on my size. As I stated before I spent my 1st 30 years at a normal to below normal weight (BMI range 17 - 20). I was (still am) beautiful, and I was treated totally differently. No one made "fat" jokes about me then... No need, I wasn't overweight. Even at my highest weight I never really thought of myself as "morbidly obese. I was a thin gal trapped in a large body... Hearing someone bash an obese person is not a perception; it's reality and it's also discrimatory.

to shove a perfume sample right pass my face to hand over to my skinny sister.... was on purpose.... so i dont think she was having a bad day...i think she probably is a shallow witch with a B!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">DUH!!!!! OF COURSE!!!!!!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>