Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Chicks3, I was banded in June and have had 5 fills already. I get great restriction after each one and it then fades. The first couple fills my restriction faded in a week or so, now it takes longer. I also have a 14cc band, my opinion is the larger bands mihgt take more to get filled??? But the way the nurse explained it to me is the stomach has this fat pad over it and it's between the stomach and the band. As you lose weight the fat goes away and the band becomes looser.

LittleBit, I think everyones tastes are different on the Protein Drinks. Personally i couldn't stand the EAS stuff from Walmart that many other love. And I liked Isopure drinks and many others call those Iso-pukes. What I did the few weeks before surgery is buy one of several varieties and then tried them at home so after surgery I could have on hand what I liked. I did not have to do a pre op diet so didn't need to drink them til after surgery.

i have a quick question .my 90 day diet with my family doc will end fri oct 3 and i have only lost 2 lbs gain it back lose 2 up and down what will the ins co or lapband doc think when they see 2 lbs up and down in a 3 mos diet required by inc co.????? please let me know iam worried what there gonna think.i have everything els done for the doc but to finish this 90 day plan .thanks for any answers :lol:

i have a quick question .my 90 day diet with my family doc will end fri oct 3 and i have only lost 2 lbs gain it back lose 2 up and down what will the ins co or lapband doc think when they see 2 lbs up and down in a 3 mos diet required by inc co.????? please let me know iam worried what there gonna think.i have everything els done for the doc but to finish this 90 day plan .thanks for any answers :biggrin:

My Ins didn't require it (pre-band diet) but my thinking and what I have read is that it's to see if you are committed to losing the weight.

THE BAND IS ONLY A TOOL!!! It in itself is not going to cause you to lose weight... You have to realize this going in - and that little part of your mind that say ya this is the answer it's the magic cure - that's the devil talking to you - cuz it's not the magic cure answer to our obesity. The band requires alot of work on your part to change your eating habits and exercise habits.

There are pple who say I didn't do this to go on another diet - they continue to eat the same food that they did prior to banding - which usually is high fat foods and foods loaded with refined carbs (oh btw I am not an Atkins advocate) and foods that have sugar.

With the band once you get proper restriction (which can take awhile for some) it will limit the amount of food you eat at one sitting - but you can eat around the band ie candy Cookies milkshake alcohol gravy all slip right thru the band (these soft foods are slider food) plus we still absorb all our calories (not like bypass patients who don't). The pple who chose just to eat less of the unhealthy food that they ate prior to banding are going to lose some weight just due to the fact that they can't eat large quantities - but they are not going to lose a significant amount in my opinion.

There's not much you can do at this date except talk to your doctor about your issues

But know the band isn't going to take away your issues with food it only restricts the amount of most of the foods you can eat (remember it doesn't restrict silder foods)

There is ton's of head work that has to be done in order to be a succeful bander.. They are banding your tummy and not your head - which were most of our problems lie..

I am 14 months out - I will be full - but I still want to continue to eat... The band does notthing for head hunger issue - which I still deal with on a daily basis..

Like right this second - that's why I am on the computer - it's to early to eat dinner and I needed a distraction - LBT is my distractor - it's my transfer addiction...

Good Luck suziq- Just talk to your doc and go from there - we can't change the past - so don't worry about it all you can do is move forward

"Our emotions get the better of us and we tend to forsake our long-term goals in favor of short-term desires" It's the major source of human misery..

Half my problem is i have back issues and when they act up i can't do anything but take pain meds and work thats about it and the last mo . Thats been the case so much of anything is hard to do with the pain,and i had surgery on both knee's last winter so i know i need this weight off to survive it all. Not to mention my acid reflux .hopefully the ins co will agree and i can have it done. And i do need to chat with my doc more about all this ..thanks for your reply :biggrin: have a great wk

Here's an unexpected snag -

I rarely have lengthy coughing or bronchial issues -

After a week or so of dry tickle coughing -

it's become productive coughs with a tad of phlegm. :mellow:

But as luck would have it -

My pulmonary exam is day after tomorrow

cardiac is Friday

and Endoscopy is next Thursday.

I suspect the original cause of the tickle - cough is from cleaning a ton of boxes from the attic and a nearby construction site of blasting and digging. :cool2:

The chesty-version is probably a progression from the irritation of the nagging coughing. :thumbup:

Obviously I stopped the attic stuff ("reluctantly??") and I'm limiting my time out doors.

(I'm making that nasty concoction of ginger/cayenne/apple cider vinegar/ honey which is supposed to be quite effective)

But

final question -

Do you think this is going to set back my progress? :thumbup:

Janet

I have read on here so many times, most of them from you, that the band is just a tool and that head hunger will give you the most problems. I just want to say you are absolutely right about that!! I was banded on 8/25 lost like 15 pounds quickly and standing still at this moment. Saw the doc on 9/23 and he will give me my first fill on 10/14 and I am hoping that will kick it into gear - as he puts it "that is when the fun will start". But even right after dinner I am still hungry and I know that is my head playing games with me. I am full but want more. I will also agree that this "full" feeling is a different kind of a full than before I was banded. I am wondering if it has much to do with the fact that there are no liquids before or during the meal. But it's taken some getting used to and know when to stop. I like reading all of these posts and I have learned so very much but its amazing how some things will stick with me longer than others but the TOOL was one that caught me from the beginning.

Can I ask if this weight loss, or lack of, is normal at the beginning? I feel fine and I have been walking more than ever which has helped in the normal going up steps etc. The other day I reached into a play pen type thing to pick up my grandson and I think that it was too much my stomach hurt after that. I haven't had much pain or discomfort but that might have been more than I should have done - he weighs about 20 lbs. and I'm too short to reach in and grab him comfortably. I haven't done any other type of exercise but walk which I have been doing since the second day I was home. I'll wait for the doc to tell me when I can start doing other stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

Sandi

Sandi, I'm right where you are. I've been crazy hungry since about four weeks out. I'm either still hungry after my meal or hungry within an hour. I have been gaining, and I hate it. I hear it's normal, but I don't have to like it! I miss the restriction/appetite suppression of those first few weeks.

I get my first fill on Wednesday, but I know this doctor is conservative, so I don't expect it to do much.

I saw my urologist last week, and in the course of our conversation, she told me that it takes a full six months for our incisions to fully heal, that you can tell if you biopsy them at different points that they aren't "done" yet. She cautioned me to still take care not to strain those muscles, two months out. I had no idea. I wish someone had told me. So I am sharing this with you!

Janet

I have read on here so many times, most of them from you, that the band is just a tool and that head hunger will give you the most problems. I just want to say you are absolutely right about that!! I was banded on 8/25 lost like 15 pounds quickly and standing still at this moment. Saw the doc on 9/23 and he will give me my first fill on 10/14 and I am hoping that will kick it into gear - as he puts it "that is when the fun will start". But even right after dinner I am still hungry and I know that is my head playing games with me. I am full but want more. I will also agree that this "full" feeling is a different kind of a full than before I was banded. I am wondering if it has much to do with the fact that there are no liquids before or during the meal. But it's taken some getting used to and know when to stop. I like reading all of these posts and I have learned so very much but its amazing how some things will stick with me longer than others but the TOOL was one that caught me from the beginning.

Can I ask if this weight loss, or lack of, is normal at the beginning? I feel fine and I have been walking more than ever which has helped in the normal going up steps etc. The other day I reached into a play pen type thing to pick up my grandson and I think that it was too much my stomach hurt after that. I haven't had much pain or discomfort but that might have been more than I should have done - he weighs about 20 lbs. and I'm too short to reach in and grab him comfortably. I haven't done any other type of exercise but walk which I have been doing since the second day I was home. I'll wait for the doc to tell me when I can start doing other stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

Sandi

Janet

Thanks for all the help.

Sandi

Sandi

15 lbs in a month is excellent - we are not bypass patients that are going to lose 20 lbs a week - 15/30 = 1/2 lb a day thats 3.5 a week you are doing very well. You have to be patient - it didn't come on over night - it took me 1 yr 1 week to lose 100 lbs... I didn't do it in 6 months - heck there were weeks that I only lost 1/2 lbs - but all those little 1/2 pounds add up...

My exercise consisted of mainly walking on the treadmill 4 - 5 times a week for the 1st 8 months - I didn't start weights til this past March when I got a trainer.

What are you eating - are you logging you calories - how may calorie are you eating - On you next appointment ask about your exercise and lifting capablities - it's usually 6 weeks of limited phyiscal activity... Walking is fine - and keep it up.

Once again Indio, you are right on. That head hunger is the root of all evil!! Yea, I need my fill (Next week finally!) but when I'm bored or too hungry, I can just eat and eat. I've noticed myself eating just a little bit more... If only there WERE bands for our heads too! :-) Tonight I was busy cleaning (we're putting our house of for sale (in this market, what a hoot!), lots of cleaning to do!!) and forgot about eating, till I stopped and realized I was hungry! Ate a fudgelite bar, drank some Water, and going to bed so I don't eat any more. Distraction, eating foods that are healthy and low calorie, exercise, and logging every morsel are so important.

I think this has been addressed before. What is the Vitamin or supplement that was talked about to take when you are stuck and PBing. I have a fellow baner friend that had issues the other day and I could not remember the name to tell her..

I think this has been addressed before. What is the Vitamin or supplement that was talked about to take when you are stuck and PBing. I have a fellow baner friend that had issues the other day and I could not remember the name to tell her..

Papaya Enzyme tablets. You chew a couple when the food is stuck. They work like a meat tenderizer to break down the food.