Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Greetings,

Well today was only day 6 for me, but I still had my post op appt today. Evidently there's a big conference next week in Washington DC on bariatric surgery and my dr. and his office are going so they wanted to see us that were banded last week early rather than later. I've lost 9 lbs in 6 days! Add that to the loss from the time I had my consult appt. and it's 19 and then add the 10 I lost while researching lap band and I am down almost 30 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited. I also went to the bariatric nutrition classes my dr. offices and got more info on what to eat and when etc. I had a couple ounces of refried Beans tonight and they never tasted so good.

I was a little concerned as I was getting so light headed and faint. The nurse thought I was dehydrated (wasn't peeing) and gave me 12 hours to go. I've been drinking as much as I can tolerate and things seem to be correcting in that dept.

BeckyO - sure the bypass folks do lose more at first, but after 2 to 3 yrs the losses are pretty equal with band vs bypass. I feel very confident this was the procedure for me. Good luck!

Greetings,

Well today was only day 6 for me, but I still had my post op appt today. Evidently there's a big conference next week in Washington DC on bariatric surgery and my dr. and his office are going so they wanted to see us that were banded last week early rather than later. I've lost 9 lbs in 6 days! Add that to the loss from the time I had my consult appt. and it's 19 and then add the 10 I lost while researching lap band and I am down almost 30 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited. I also went to the bariatric nutrition classes my dr. offices and got more info on what to eat and when etc. I had a couple ounces of refried Beans tonight and they never tasted so good.

I was a little concerned as I was getting so light headed and faint. The nurse thought I was dehydrated (wasn't peeing) and gave me 12 hours to go. I've been drinking as much as I can tolerate and things seem to be correcting in that dept.

BeckyO - sure the bypass folks do lose more at first, but after 2 to 3 yrs the losses are pretty equal with band vs bypass. I feel very confident this was the procedure for me. Good luck!

Long - good to hear that your appointment went well

CONGRATULATIONS on the 30 lbs gone:biggrin::frown::thumbs_up: This is only the begining

Yep I bet those beans were the best that you ever had - we all felt that way when we got back to regular food - for me it was 10 days but for some they have a whole month of liquids..:party:

Yes it is very important to get your Water in - I am lucky I can drink before but have to wait 1/2 hr after eating to drink - it takes a bit of getting use to but it wasn't that hard for me -

BeckyO

Also I have lost 98.5 lbs in less than 11 months and there are alot of pple here who do lose the weight fast (again depending on how much you have to lose) so don't let those statistic scare you - it all depends on how you work your program and exercise.

My doc says that I have lost weight like his bypass patient - and remember it's not all about losing the weight but keeping off for the rest of our lives - there are bypass & lapband who both regain their weight when they revert back to old eating habits.

23_33_7.gif Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to feel restricted right after your first fill. I had mine on Monday and for the first two days liquids went down fine. Now back on real food, I had a very small chicken Caesar salad, went down fine, then dinner about 4 oz of beef and cheese w/apple sauce went down ok but only ate about half of it. Later had some Tomato Soup, not really hungry but I think I could eat a little more if I wanted. Is this normal or does it take a few day to really feel the restriction?

I'm going away for a few weeks so I really don't want to go back for another fill and not be able to eat or need an unfill, I wouldn't know where to go to get one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNfox000

Hi Long2bthin,

Your name caught my attention. When I was on South Beach a few years ago, there was a Long2bthin and a Soon2bthin on the message boards there! Great web name.

From what I'm seeing on the boards, everyone's story is different. I thought I was eating too much after my doctor was only able to put in 2ccs....I couldn't take anymore. Then I actually counted the calories and found I was only about 800- so thinking I was eating a lot was a reaction (for me) to eating a broader range of foods.

My problem is "hearing" the signal that the hunger is leaving. I start to hear it, but continue for a few more bites trying to get my Protein in, etc. And because stopping is still new for me. I'm just getting an appetite back. So my work is to stop eating 3-4 bites sooner. That's my goal.

I find I am too full- no vomiting, nausea, or pb'ing....just a very full feeling. Not at all comfortable. The good news is that it's the "wall" I'm hitting, but at least I'm stopping. And the food I'm eating is heart healthy etc. But I'd like to hear the signal just a little sooner so that I don't have to feel uncomfortable. Also, I end up having to wait 2 or more hours before drinking because I'm too full and until this started a couple of days ago, I was getting in at least 8 glasses of Fluid a day.

What I don't know is if I'm eating more (didn't think so) or if my fill is doing what I hear some do.....getting a little tighter a few days after the fill. Before the fill, I was eating the same food- same calories. But now I can't.

This morning, I just didn't feel like eating and so had a 5 oz yogurt over the entire morning. Nothing else. Then when I got home at 5PM I was hungry so had dinner and ate that bit too much. Not in a hurry....nothing like that. Ate slowly. Just a bit too much.

So much work to do on this. But that's the journey. And at least there's a wall!

You know for me, I think the band does more than 25% of the work. I am really never hungry. There are a lot of times that I drink a Protein Drink because I am just not hungry and I know I need to get some Protein in.

I really could not put into percentage how much it's the band and how much it's me. I am the one that goes to the gym every day, but I did that for 3 years before I got the band. The band stops me from eating

half a pizza, an entire sub sandwich, etc. It's true that the band doesn't stop me from eating chocolate. I know that even when I fall off the wagon and eat chocolate, the fact that my regular meals are so small really helps with my calories count for the day.

I agree totally. It's a partnership....a marriage of sorts. There was incredible looking huge chocolate chip Cookies at work today. I know in the past I would have taken one, and being embarrassed, I would have secreted another 2-3 back to my office. If I was DIETING in the past, I would have felt miserable....the old diet as punishment. Today, I took a piece off one of the cookies and ate it slowly. I didn't take any more, but I didn't deny myself from having ANY. If I had tried to eat a whole cookie, I think I'd have been sick. And for me, with my addiction, this is good.

Becky, yes this is only a tool but a great tool. You have to keep positive and make good food choices. I find that I am more aware of my food choices because I can't eat very much so I want what I eat to be healthy. I also exercise 5 days a week. It is sometimes hard to fit exercise into my schedule but even a half hour walk at lunch helps. My sister had the by-pass surgery and has started to gain back her weight. She lost faster than I did but I look healthier than she does. She lost a lot of hair (I lost some but it has come back) and looked ill for awhile.

I have lost weight so many times before and just gained it back. I always saved my fat clothes for when I would gain my weight back. This time I have thrown away all my larger clothes because I know that I have the tool to help me keep my weight off.

I agree with IndioGirl that the positive attitude very important. Just remember this is a tool and it will help you become a healthier and happier person. When you get a little older the healthier part is as important as the thin part. I am so greatful for the health I have. My blood pressure and cholesterol are excellent and I no longer take any medications. I have a bad knee but with the weight I have lost it does not bother me near as much. I have gotten a bike and I am not embarrased to ride it in public.

This is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. I have also gotten a promotion at work (which I don't think I would have gotten when I was heavier). I also have so much more confidence.

I don't think you will regret your decision. This site is also a great place for encouragement.

Good luck,

Geri

What a positive and encouraging thread to come to this morning. I have so enjoyed reading everyone's input about 'the tool'. Just what I need to read as I am still recovering some. My surgery was originally scheduled for today, I am much happier being one week post op!! And what's extra exciting to be reading is all this success of others in their 50's. It's supposed to be so much harder for us to lose and I see how possible it is by reading this message board.

The person who posted about the long2bthin on a South Beach message board, that wasn't me. I posted at Dotti's weight loss zone a lot a while back while doing WW, and my name there was Lobster.

Hi girls, thanks for all of your input. First of all, a little history:

My name is Beckyo. I am 53 years old and have a 34 year old daughter, 23 year old daughter and twin boy and girl age 22. I have been a homeaker since my twins were born. I was always thin until I started staying home and I injured by back at a fit club six weeks after my 23 year old was born. the bad back is what started my weight gain journey as I have been limited and then just got lazy. I lost weight many times on weight watchers but gained it back. I know I can be good with the band and my food choices but it takes the weight loss to help me stay motivated. I have started with walking and will gradually build up to that but I am an avid gardener so that also helps me with exercise. I also have a pool which i will be using this summer. My height is 5'3", weight is 246. All of my blood work and tests say that I am in good health, I have a small hiatal hernia and cholesteral problems but surgeon says it should come down with weight loss. I have become very lazy since my weight has gotten this high but I am still trying to garden, etc. My surgery is next Wednesday, June 18. I start my fasting (all liquids for five days) tomorrow.Thanks everyone

Beckyo

Welcome, Beckyo! Good luck on your surgery--sounds like you are all set. My dr. repaired my hiatal hernia when he did the band (I didn't know I had one), which turned out to be great because I didn't tell anyone but my husband and kids about my surgery but ended up leaving the hospital a few hours after my surgery and going straight to be with my mother and sisters and dad who was just diagnosed with cancer. So, anyway, I was able to tell them I had an outpatient surgery and had a hiatal hernia repaired. Worked for me! (They still don't know--I just didn't want to hear it).

Good luck! You'll do great! Karen

23_33_7.gif Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to feel restricted right after your first fill. I had mine on Monday and for the first two days liquids went down fine. Now back on real food, I had a very small chicken Caesar salad, went down fine, then dinner about 4 oz of beef and cheese w/apple sauce went down ok but only ate about half of it. Later had some Tomato Soup, not really hungry but I think I could eat a little more if I wanted. Is this normal or does it take a few day to really feel the restriction?

I'm going away for a few weeks so I really don't want to go back for another fill and not be able to eat or need an unfill, I wouldn't know where to go to get one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol

Carol sounds like you have restriction to me - the thinking you could eat more is testing your band if you aren't hungry - One of my fills took 2 weeks to settle in - but it's diff for everyone - if you are eating less than 4 oz per meal - I would say you have restriction

The whole eating when not really hungry is still a killer for me - I have to be very careful - I keep trying that 1 more bite :teeth_smile:

About that first fill. I had a large fill for my first one (over 6cc in a 10cc band). I couldn't feel hardly any difference. Then with the second fill, I felt a major difference. Also since the second fill I've had a lot of PBing.

So I guess everyone is different

I'm struggling with 3-4 bites more. I'm losing well. But partly because I think I'm eating too much at a sitting, getting very uncomfortable pressure and gas, so then I can't face eating anymore all day. I like the weight loss, but this is not the way. So I know I'm restricted....if not 6-8 oz at a time wouldn't bother me this much. I'm being very very careful today. If I'm hungry I'll eat more often or use a Protein drink in between, but I'm on 4 oz at a time until I get a handle on this.

I'm struggling with 3-4 bites more. I'm losing well. But partly because I think I'm eating too much at a sitting, getting very uncomfortable pressure and gas, so then I can't face eating anymore all day. I like the weight loss, but this is not the way. So I know I'm restricted....if not 6-8 oz at a time wouldn't bother me this much. I'm being very very careful today. If I'm hungry I'll eat more often or use a Protein drink in between, but I'm on 4 oz at a time until I get a handle on this.

For me I have to be able to eat at least 1 cup per meal - I could not survive on 1/2 c - plus IMHO I don't think that you can get enough food to live on at that amount (healthy wise) - I know that alot of pple like to only eat 1/2 cup per meal - but I just can't - I will be full on my 1 cup of food but still want to continue to eat - Head Problems :biggrin:

Last night 3 oz of my sea bass from Monday (mondays fish lasted 3 days)- and I think I left a bite on the plate cuz I was full plus 1/2 cup of tatos - full didn't even get my veggies in :frown:

Hey NMSunshine - How are you doing !!! You don't pop in very much any more...