Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Peaches

:cursing: Yes :cursing:- TRY is another unacceptable word :cursing::lol: - My girls know me don't they :thumbs_down:

When I was a kid my Mom made oatmeal with dates (my Dad was a Date Grower) ugh I hated it - but when I was in my 30's I started liking it - but the quick cook full sugar kind :cursing: - I love raisin & walnut - I want to try the Steel Oats that everyone is always talking about - but I gotta go to Trader Joes to get it - the sf Syrup sounds good..

99% of the time I don't have a poop problem - I need this Fiber to get rid of the bad cholestoral.... I will get some this weekend with some flax seeds..

Shortgal - I go thru spurts on taking my Vitamins & Calcium - I will do good for a week then next week be really bad - this week has been bad for my calcium & Multi Vit - but good on my B complex - but I did take my Multi right not cuz I got an ugly little bruise on my knee..

Thin2bme - Good luck on your fill tomorrow and being able to expand your food choices. Plan - read labels - is my best advice

Misty - Heartburn is not being stuck - stuck feels like a golf ball in your chest - I get a itty bit of heartburn every now and then from just drinking Water - take a pecid chewable it should help

Why are you getting an MRI???

My doc recommended Benefiber. It is awesome. No taste, no thickening no grit. I put it in tea, crystal light and can't tell. And boy, did it make a difference!!!! I was not constipated but the other way and it fixed it.

Top wt: 400+

Banded: 10/19/07: 276.5

Today: 200.5

Edited by at last

Hi, I am Becky and new to this thread. Just discovered it. I am 53 and had my psych appt yesterday. I am expecting to have surgery within the next month or two. You are the person who is inspiring me. Have you had a hard time at all with this? Right now I just kind of feel blah all the time. I know I will feel better when I get this weight off but it is kind of scary to think about not getting to eat like summertime foods, etc. I dont know why I am kind of scared. Anyway you had the same BMI as me except I would like to loose 100 lbs. Just thought I would say hi. I hope when I get some weight off, i quit feeling so tired.

Becky (bochs)

Hi, I just realized that my post did not say Indio is who is inspiring me. How long did it take you to get this weight off. Thanks Indio

Becky

Hi, I am Becky and new to this thread. Just discovered it. I am 53 and had my psych appt yesterday. I am expecting to have surgery within the next month or two. You are the person who is inspiring me. Have you had a hard time at all with this? Right now I just kind of feel blah all the time. I know I will feel better when I get this weight off but it is kind of scary to think about not getting to eat like summertime foods, etc. I dont know why I am kind of scared. Anyway you had the same BMI as me except I would like to loose 100 lbs. Just thought I would say hi. I hope when I get some weight off, i quit feeling so tired. Becky (bochs)

Welcome, Becky!

You will definitely feel better when you start to lose some weight.

What summertime foods are you worried about not being able to eat?? After the initial post-op phase, you will find that you can eat just about anything you want to eat, just in moderation... much smaller portions. And some of those favorites of yours, they won't be favorites any longer as you begin to change your eating habits. I think you will find your whole attitude towards food will begin to change. One example from my own experience... I thought I could not live without Diet Coke. I only drank about one can a day, but was very worried about the fact that I'd been told, NO MORE CARBONATED drinks after surgery. It really was the carbonation I was addicted to more than the Diet Coke because lots of times I drank carbonated Water and we even have our own carbonator to make our own. But, after my first pre-op appointment I decided to quit all my carbonated drinks... diet coke and carbonated Water, and I was amazed at how quickly the craving stopped. I now always carry a bottle of crystal lite or similar drink.

Keep us posted on your progress. We care!!

Janet, I'm terrible with the Vitamins. I hate taking them. I took them in during the first few months when I was on a lot of liquids and shakes.

Now,I really think I get enough from my food. I don't eat much differently now than I did a few years ago when I was on WW. Same with the Calcium. I have skim milk with a.m Cereal and I eat yogurt. I don't know maybe I'm in denial. I read the labels of the Fiber bars and the Cereal box and they have them,plus the other food I eat.

My fingernails are very healthly if that's any indication!

Welcome Becky! I'm sure Janet will pop in and tell you how she did it.

She's done a great job. I (almost said hope) will do the same as she has. ( Caught myself just in time, Janet)

Welcome Becky. You will love bandland. I lost 20 lbs before surgery and since Dec. of last year I have lost 70 for a total of 90 lbs all together.

I love my band!

Misty being stuck feels just like you have food in your esophagus that won't go down. A lot of of people with the band have trouble with heartburn. I take Pepcid. I take whatever samples my dr. will give me.

Sometimes it's Acifex.

Thanks for the support. I just off the thread about people who are taking their band off. I think I am reading too much into all of this. My psych was very encouraging yesterday and made me feel real good about my choice and my surgeon. I love macroni salad, blt's with fresh tomatoes, fresh fruit, corn on the cob, hamburgers on the grill, etc. Thats some things that I think I will miss if I can't at least taste it. I also dearly love popcorn

Thanks Girls

Becky

Hi, I am scheduled 05-12-08 for my first meeting. I am considering the Lap Band. It concerns me in reading your thread that you still feel hunger. I am an emotional eater and eat even when I do not feel hunger. I will be self-pay so I do not want to regret spending my retirement money, on the other hand, if I do not do something I will not be alive to enjoy retirement. Do you think the Lap Band is for me, or should I consider something else?:crying:

I am really hoping someone will reply. I wont have my first fill until April 29, 2008. Has anyone gained any weight between there surgery and there first fill? How long did it take after your first fill to lose any weight? If so how much?

Thanks for the support. I just off the thread about people who are taking their band off. I think I am reading too much into all of this. My psych was very encouraging yesterday and made me feel real good about my choice and my surgeon. I love macroni salad, blt's with fresh tomatoes, fresh fruit, corn on the cob, hamburgers on the grill, etc. Thats some things that I think I will miss if I can't at least taste it. I also dearly love popcorn

Thanks Girls

Becky

I love macaroni salad, too... you can have it occasionally.. but just a few bites of it. That's one thing I can't have in the house, because I'll keep taking those 2-3 bites until it's gone! Things like that... a special treat. and i have a "Three Bite Rule" with Desserts. Very seldom have things like that, but when I do... three bites. You get a taste, don't feel deprived, but stop after three bites! Popcorn.... not a favorite of mine, but some are eating those 100 cal bags for a night time snack. BLT's.... I have a pretty hard time with bread, so I very seldom do sandwiches at all. A lot depends on the type of bread... too doughy gets "stuck". We buy 45 cal a slice Sara Lee bread. Then DH toasts it and slices it down the middle so he has two to make me a sandwich (he runs the kitchen around here!). But I have to eat it really slow and sometimes only can manage to eat 1/2. Hamburgers... maybe 1/2 of one, but I think you'll find you don't want to waste the space in your stomach on things like bread/rolls. You'll be craving your meat and veggies instead! Honest!

We've all gone through those same thought processes about all the foods we're going to miss after surgery, and amazingly, that's just not how you feel after surgery. I welcome the restriction and the inability to eat those things that used to be my favorites! With some exceptions, of course, like the macaroni salad I mentioned.. that talks to me if it's in the fridge!

Hi, I am scheduled 05-12-08 for my first meeting. I am considering the Lap Band. It concerns me in reading your thread that you still feel hunger. I am an emotional eater and eat even when I do not feel hunger. I will be self-pay so I do not want to regret spending my retirement money, on the other hand, if I do not do something I will not be alive to enjoy retirement. Do you think the Lap Band is for me, or should I consider something else?:crying:

That hunger phase is pretty much just before you start getting your "fills". Initially most bands have no Fluid in them. The surgeon will begin to put Fluid in the band at about the 3-6 week post-op time frame. It took me three fills before I had pretty good restricition. My surgeon's guidelines are to eat 1/2 cup servings about every three hours during that initial phase, and even beyond if that works for you. I did that for the first couple of months. But now I'm perfectly content with three small meals and an evening snack.

I definitely think you are a candidate for LapBand,

but you will need to try to get a handle on the emotional eating. We all have done it, we're all still sometimes plagued with that, but this site is a lifeline for many of us because we support and encourage one another and help one another through those times.

And sometimes we use a little "tough love".

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

You've come to the right place!

I am able to eat every single one of those foods you listed. I just finished my snack of the day, a 100 calorie pack of popcorn.< /p>

I am really hoping someone will reply. I wont have my first fill until April 29, 2008. Has anyone gained any weight between there surgery and there first fill? How long did it take after your first fill to lose any weight? If so how much?

Honestly, I don't really remember,

but I think I lost before my first fill.

But, it's not that unusual to have a gain...

and that's okay.

Your body is recovering from surgery and you don't have any restriction yet.

Don't get stressed out about it.

Just follow your doctor's orders regarding what you should be eating now, and after your fill next week, you should start to see the weight come off.

I have not gained any weight back since I have been banded. I exercise though, and watch the scale carefully.

I am able to eat every single one of those foods you listed. I just finished my snack of the day, a 100 calorie pack of popcorn.< /div>

Yep, and she's at goal, too, right Denise??

Something like 100 lb off, right??!!

What happened to your ticker, Denise??