Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OOH! A new forum!

Hi Patricia! Nice to meet another fur-baby mom. I'm Cheryl, 43, from Saint John, NB and I have three Sheltie girls, ages 14, 13 and 6. Banded June 13, 07 - down 57 lbs. so far and so happy with the decision I made to get the band!

I hope all is well with you and your "labbies" in Beautiful BC!

Cheryl

Steph we just moved to Alum Bank bedford county. Actually I met you at the support group back around september you gave me the address for LBT.

Im hoping to be banded around march if all goes well with insurance and if I dont chicken out. Right now I'm pretty nervous about the operation.

Any one have any ideas on how I can get past my fears about surgery?

I dont mind being in my 40's I hated my childhood so never want to do that over again. I'll be happy to weigh less and have more energy and be able to do more things so I can enjoy my 40's to the fullest.

OK people I just turned 40 yesterday. Does that mean I am a new member. I can't believe that I am 40...

Cindy

Happy Birthday Cindy!!!!! You know 30 was the number that sounded so old to me. 40 isn't bad at all. :smile:

Hi Cheryl. Although I have some two legged babies I also have fur-babies too. I have a beautiful sheltie that is about 16. She's blind and a little hard of hearing but she's my baby.

Good Morning!!

I'm Mary.. 49, married, 4 kids 2 grandsons

I was banded December 27th, 07, and I'm hungry.

I'm in Ohio, where it is rather snowy at the moment.

Every notice how snow makes you think of vanilla ice cream, and if a rabbit happens to come trotting by.. you think of chocolate chip ice cream, and when you let the doggies out.. French vanilla Ice Cream...

Um.. i think I have an ice cream problem.. *sigh*

Scrappy friend, I was scared out of my mind about the surgery too. You know what my doctor told me? He said that the band is not a life threatening procedure but gastric bypass definately has life threatening complications. He told me that there are only a couple of things that could go wrong and they are easily fixed and not life threatening. He also reminded me that if I continued on my path of morbid obesity that I would be facing a lot of possible life threatening illnesses anyway which we all know is true. I can tell you I was still scared the day of the surgery and thought "what in the hell am I doing?" when they were putting the IV in my arm. I can also tell you that 10 months later I am down 3 pant sizes, I look better, I feel better, I am not so hard on myself anymore, and I have no regrets! I do believe that the band is not for everyone because you are making a decision to have your eating habits forever altered but I was ready for that. I also pray I have escaped diabetes now. Focus on what your life will be like if you continue on your current course with no intervention. I wish the best for you!

happy upcoming bd. I'll be 48 on 1/19. Nice to meet you and welcome.

Hi to all, My name is Jeanine, I'm 40, married, and have 2 kids. Tomorrow I go to my pre-surgery education class. I'm to be banded Feb 19th at the Scottsdale Bariatric Center with Dr Blackstone. My husband is not crazy that I'm having surgery but he's supporting me anyway. I'm happy that I'm getting the surgery so early - BCBS dropped all of the requirements for surgery when I was only 2 months into the 6 month Dr supervised visit. So instead of surgery in April or May I'm getting it in Feb. Wish I would have done this years ago, however, I'm sure that advancements in surgery have made it worth waiting for. So this must be the best time.

My girlfriend is having by-pass surgery tomorrow on the same floor I'll be at class. So I can pop over and see her afterwards.

Hey, its never too late to start again, right?:lol:

HEY ALL! Im getting to the end of forties. My brain doesnt tell me that, its just the facts. I live in the Northwest. Rain rain rain, cold cold cold! I have two boys 21 & 22 and a sig other of 10.5 years. no wedding plans, been there, done that, no desire to go there again. Excuse my ignorance but what is a DH? I've seen it here and dont get it.

here's a great conversation starter lol

I threw up for the first time tonight. :doh: don't want to go there again. I didnt eat anything new. I eat chicken everyday and have never had a problem....until today. I understand I need to be on liquids for two days. Do you hear that too? right now that sounds fine with me, but tomorrow I may feel differently. wow! i was shocked. I dont know why, I hear everyone does it from time to time. I have only tossed it a very few times in my life and tequilla had somthing to do with it once.and wine once, brought back no good memories of the 80's...

Glad to meet all of you. I'm always amazed at new threads. I just stumble on them and put them in my fav's.

Good evening

bandit.1

Hi BANDIT 1, A DH is a "Dear Husband". I think if you look around this site you can find a place that has all of the acronyms that are used on this site. And it is an informative site! Oh, and I was just wondering - what have you lost in the nearly 3 months of your lap band? Thanks!

Hey Scrappy Friend! So good to hear from you! We should do lunch sometime :pray2:

You weren't at the last support group were you? Sometimes I need to be slapped and say hey remember me? Anyway, I don't regret the band for a second! I love love love my band and I feel so much better. I feel its alot safer then bypass and thats why I chose it. I was a little afraid but I was more excited then afraid. If you need someone to talk to email me with your phone number and I'll call you.

Kat - I'm glad you are a survivor! Its so important to get those yearly exams.

Its snowing here today too - (probably not in Alum Bank) - the guy I work with lives down there and he said the roads have been dry for 3 days! But up here on the mountain its miserable.

Have a great day ladies!

No new snow here, but it is too cold to snow!! It is after 10, and we just made it to above zero! At my house it is now a whopping 4 degrees!!! And a breeze is blowing, so the windchill is gonna take us below zero again!

brrrrrrr

I get my check ups done without fail. Just went through a massive scare! I suddenly began growing an Adams apple! I had a cold, and at first thought it just another swollen gland, but the cold went away and it did not. I made an appointment, and it was my thyroid had a mass on it. By the time we completed the testing, I was having trouble swallowing, and could not lay on my back without it cutting off my air supply. The first biopsy come back as cancerous cells. I was devastated, I did not want more chemo! During surgery, (pathologist was in the OR with us) they found the tumor to not be of a cellular structure to be dangerous to me at this time-it would have become cancerous, but it would have choked me to death long before that! They removed a tumor the size of an orange, and still managed to leave a small amount of my thyroid in tact. They removed the entire right lobe, and the isthmus (center), leaving a partial left lobe. Hoping without the tumor it will once again produce natural hormone. I get my blood results this next week to let me know how it is doing.

I come out of surgery in a fog of course, I remember my DH saying "no chemo"--I was ready then to dance out of recovery!!!

And you should see, I really have collarbones again without that lump!!!

Life is GOOD!!

Kat

Kat - aren't you from New Mexico? I never thought it got that cold there - I guess I imagine it to be like Arizona. Is it always cold like that? Are you in the mountians? Sorry for all the questions. That does sound scarey! DH and I were watching a program about abnormal growth last night, I can't remember what its called but theres less then 200 people in the WORLD who have this disease, anyway we were both saying how fortunate we are to have our health - until its gone you don't really appreciate what it means. I'm glad things are looking good for you.

Yep I am in NM. Parts of NM are much warmer year round, but I am in the far NW corner, near the 4 corners---the only place in the US that you can stand in 4 states at one time, and also be on 2 Indian reservations at once -- woo-hooo!!! We are only like 11 miles from the Colorado border. You can drive north for an hour and be deep into the mountains, or drive south for that hour and be in desert land!!

This is very cold even for us. It is not commonly this cold. We regularly freeze throughout the winter months, and have snow. But it usually snows, and by the next day or so it is gone, melted in...and nothing more than a memory and mud! This last snow is still sitting though because it got so cold!!!

We will have equally hot spells in the summer where we go days above 100!! They are kind of like these sub zero temps, not a frequent thing, but also not that rare!!!

We truly see each and every season change, both in weather, and in temperature. And personally, by the time the seasons change, I am usually ready for the next. Right now I am hoping for an early spring!!!

Kat