Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OOH! A new forum!

Hi, everyone!!

I'm Melinda from Hickory, NC. I'm 43 (almost 44), divorced with two great girls, and I will be a grandma in the next few weeks!!

I recently got approved through my insurance company for surgery. I will be banded on February 27, 2008. I'm not sure of the time yet.

I'm told that I will have to do the 10 day liquid diet before my surgery. Did any of you do that??

Any words of wisdom on how to not starve to death?? lol

Guest Band4EJ

Hi forty-somethings!

I'm 47 and live in Joshua Tree California. I have had my band for 11 months, had one fill of 1cc and am 8 pounds away from goal. I recently lowered my goal by 5 pounds because I still have a bit of abdominal fat to get rid of. 138 pounds looks lots different on me at 47 than it did at 30. What's with that????

I'm not married, but the new me is hopeful! I have no kids but hope to find a man that has kids/grandkids to make up for that! I currently live with a 13 year-old labrador retriever and a boyfriend who I am about to send packing. The new me is not willing to put up with his bad habits anymore! Yeah!

Congrats to everyone that has their band and to those that are in the process. It can be frustrating and monitoring your fluids and Proteins can be tedious BUT it is so worth it in the end. The best part isn't the new clothes....it is no longer having knee, hip, back and foot pain AND not hiding in the house anymore. Also...more energy!

Hi everyone. I am 40 and am glad this is out there because I always felt like us aging folks might have more trouble losing than the youngsters. I am happily married with two, young girls that have noticed that their momies tummie "doesn't stick out so far anymore". I work in the mental health field and think that the band is one of the most loving things I ever did for myself. I think it is neat too that everyone is in different stages in their banding so we can help support or advise each other. I was losing so slowly and it was through the help I got here at Lap Band Talk that I was able to move along. I just didn't know you keep getting fills monthly if you aren't losing. I also recommend Wendel Edwards link about how the lap band actually works. It helped me so much! Nice to meet all of you!

hi guys!

I'll be 46 next month, I've been married 28 years, 3 kids, a son who is 23 and married, 2 daughters - 21 y/o is in college and my baby is 17 and a senior in hs. I'm from Somerset county, PA - Flight 93 has unfortunatly put us on the map. I'm an office manager for a golf course so I'm partially laid off in the winter and so you see me on alot more then the nice weather months.

I was banded Dec 11, 2006, so just over one year. I'm getting close to goal but I'm losing slow and steady now. Maybe a pound a week. I feel wonderful, I actually feel like I'm in the average size now. I've been a part of the steady losers group for the past year and I have to tell you the support I get on LBT can not be matched!

Its nice to meet you all.

Hope you all don't mind I will be 40 Feb.21 so thought i would start in 40's lol. My name is Karri I also live in Illinois Andrea.Banded 12/19/07 down 20 pds. no fills should be in about 2 wks ,I am ready to eat anything also. I have 2 kids boy 18 in 12 days and a girl 15. 3 step kids 2 boys 15 &11 and 1 step daughter 13. Married to a wonderful loving man who supports me in anything I do for 7 yrs now we had a puppy together NO MORE KIDS!:-)

HI, Everyone!

I"m Kelly, age 48, and I live in KS. Married to a great guy. Have 2 sons: 25 and almost 17. And, I became a "Nanna" for the first time in October......sweet little grandson (yes, I"m surrounded by men!).

I was banded in mid-March, '07, and I"ve lost 60 lbs. I'm hoping to lose 30 - 40 more. I haven't had a fill for several months.....just didn't really need one. I have an appointment scheduled for a fill in about 1 1/2 weeks....I've been a little bit hungry, so it's time. I'm hoping to hit 70 pounds by my bandaversary. I have a 10 cm / 4cc band, and I"m currently at 2.25 cc.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Kelly

44 here and from pennsylvania. I had to do the math to make sure I was 44 pretty bad I can never remember how old I am. I have 3 children 23,19 and 8 and 2 granddaughters and one on the way. Im hoping to be banded in march if my insurance will cover it. I have a bmi over 50 so I really need to do this.

Rhonda

Hello fabulous forty something bandsters:

I am Laurin and live in Portland Oregon. I was banded in 10/22 in Monterrey Mexico. I have managed to lose 20 lbs (no pre-op diet so all after) and have been doing really well with the exercise part. The food part is kind of hit and miss as I have little restriction. I am waiting to get my second fill until after vacation as I don't want to possibly have problems when I am out of state. Yesterday was a great food day..today I have managed to pound down three skinny cow ice cream sandwiches in addition to two pieces of pizza. CRAP :smile:

On a happier note, I am married for 17 years to my wonderful DH and have several fur babies. Life is good and the DH keeps saying it's a marathon not a sprint but I would really like to lose 30 more pounds before vacation (in 3 weeks). Is that realistic...totally kidding. Oh well..next years Hawaii vacation will look totally different.

Kat 817 - I really enjoy your posts. You are unfailing positive and always give good advice and information. Thanks!!!

Good luck to all!!!

My name is Mary Faith and I was banded on the 20th of Dec. I am doing pretty good. I am trying hard to make it through the couple of weeks before my first fill. I have two kids and am married to very understanding man, who is trying to diet himself a little bit too for the first time ever.

Wow---there are more and more of us fabulous 40's out there!!!

My band made itself known over the last few days. It was stress that got me! My Dad had some surgery, and we think he may have had a slight stroke during the surgery, he is having some speech difficulties. Cindy---I didn't mention it on the phone---he was with me, and is determined it is temporary and not stroke related, so I was not going to rile him up!

Anyway---combine the stress to available hospital food---and eating was not great! Things I normally eat without issue, kept getting stuck, and my mind was a million miles away, so I was eating too big of bites! Not a band issue---a ME issue! We are home now, I had Soup for dinner, figured I would let my stomach relax and rest---and hopefully be back to normal soon.

Lala---that is a sweet thing to say! I have a hard time saying anything negative about my band, I am thrilled with it, and the results I have had with it! My only complaint is with the skin on my belly---and I can hardly blame that on it!!!

When I first come to LBT ---going on 2 years ago, there were some really caring people here who answered all my questions, and did their best to educate me so I could find the success they did....I am only trying to follow suit!

Kellygirl, I have a friend who has 3 sons and now 5 grandsons! She says she likes being the only Queen in the castle!

I think the thing I have liked reading on here the most is how supportive it sounds like everyones SO's are! I wonder if that differs among the age groups. Whether the 20 somethings have anywhere near the support we do? I have to say I doubt it. Young men especially expect a lot! Seems most I have read on here without the support behind them seem to come from the younger crowd.

I like the maturity!!!

I lost count how many different places we have all come from! Although I now know 2 of us are right here in the same area, actually even graduated high school together!!! Is that a riot or what?? Takes a lap band board to re connect!! But hey we have a 30th high school reunion coming up, and we are going to look wonderful!!

Well, it has been a long day, and I hear a bubblebath calling my name....

Kat

I am waiting for approval (submitted Friday) and I am 47 years old, well..48 next month!!!

I have been married to my husband for 28 years. He doesn't want me to do the surgery...afraid I will die, or that I will lose weight and dump him!! LOL silly man. We have a son that is 23, he also says it is "stupid" Apparently he doesn't think I need to be skinny because I am so old it doesn't matter!!! He'll find out in time how much it still matters!!

But I have told them both very firmly that I am doing this for me, not them, so if they don't like it, they can just keep quiet, because if the insurance ok's it...it WILL happen.

I have plenty of support with my sisters and friends at work. The men in my life will come around, I'm not too worried about them!!

I almost feel like I am playing a game or something, it is very hard to keep in my head that this will NOT be like all the other times, that this time it will work and stay working!!! I cannot hardly fathom that I have a real chance of losing weight and Keeping It Off. I don't need to be really small, I am shooting for chubby!!!

Nice to see that there are other "40's" out there....

Hi All,

I am 45 years old. Married 23 years with a 21 year old son and 18 year old daughter. Empty nester as of Sept. 2007. Daughter at University and Son has in his own place. I love animals, gardening and music. Anxiously awaiting my first fill. Great to meet all you fabulous folks! This will be the best year yet!!!

Barb

Hey Ya'll, I'm 44, been married for 23 years. I have two boys, ages 21 and 15. I was banded on December 4th, 2007 in Gainesville, GA by Dr. Robert Richard. I have lost 16 lbs. since surgery and a total of 40lbs since August 4th. Good luck to all you forty somethings!