Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to be the biggest failure here!

I have not lost a single pound. Have had several fills, the most recent of which seems to be "taking". The others gave me zero restriction.

So now, 3 months after surgery, I feel like a failure and have to re-think how to eat like a bander! What are the basic rules, etc again? I forgot them!!!

And what also worries me is even though I feel restriction, I find a way to "move past" it and keep eating.

What do you guys, my fellow Oct 07 banders, suggest???

HELP!!!!

I am with you, I was banded in Aug. 07 and have yet to feel any restriction. I lose weight due to the habit of of dieting but gain it back just because I can. This is frustrating!

Keep your spirits up and we will soon join the slim girls by the pool.

have to re-think how to eat like a bander! What are the basic rules, etc again? I forgot them!!!

And what also worries me is even though I feel restriction, I find a way to "move past" it and keep eating.

HELP!!!!

The first thing you need to do is put the past to bed; don't call yourself a failure because you are still here working it out!

The other thing you have going for you is a little bit of restriction. You haven't found the sweet spot yet, because I know from experience it is very hard to "move past it" with a normal meal. When you are done...you are done!

Here is my way of life and it works well for me:

I drink my 8 glasses of Water. (I use Crystal Light for 2 of them, because sometimes I feel like a water buffulo.)

I stop drinking 15 minutes before a meal and I wait 60 after the meal to drink.

I eat three small meals a day.

I stop when I feel the slightess bit full. (This one is the hardest to do. Especially since I am not at my sweetspot yet, but there are times when my band gives me glimpes into the future and it tells me to stop.)

I use toddler plates, spoons, and forks. (This is a mental thing, so I am never tempted to put more food on a big plate to fill it up.)

I always eat my Protein first, veggies second, and the tiny bit (if any) starch last.

If I do get hungry between meals I do allow myself a small healthy snack, but I have to follow the drinking rule so it can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Before bed I usually have a Protein Shake.< /p>

I always have one Starbucks tall, half sweet, non-fat, no whip, mocha everyday. Other than that I have cut out all sweets, fatty food, junk food, and soda.

I exercise everyday- even if it is just walking for 20 minutes with my dog.

I hope this helps-you CAN do this! We are here for you. :clap2:

Cookie Lover,

You described what I do to a tee!! There are some days when I get busy at work and I forget to drink in all my Water though, and I can FEEL it if I don't get enough water or Protein. I feel sluggish. Snappy, you are going thru what I went thru until I got proper restriction, which took SIX fills, so hang in there. I still struggle with the monster that lives in my tummy, even when I'm full sometimes my mouth wants more of the food. I too had to relearn everything a few months out after getting that last fill. One tip I can give you is you will get full faster and not be able to eat past your band if you eat your proten like grilled chickenk or something first. Healthy stuff that's harder to get down than say something like mashed potatoes will fill you up faster and you won't be able to eat past it. At least that's what I have found. Hope this helps. Don't feel like a failure. I went six weeks without dropping a pound once. It happens to all of us I'm sure. Just hang in there. !!!

I'm an Oct 07 bandster too and I've only had one fill. It's a little No, you are NOT the biggest failure. I think a lot of the oct bunch are having problems.

I am an oct. 07 bandster to. I just had my 3rd fill and finally can feel some restriction for the first time. I am having trouble eating some things that I could eat before, but shouldn't eat any way. So I think it just takes finding the right adjustment to get you started. I have lost about 28 lbs. and to me that doesn't seem like much compared to some on here. But I say "that's 28 lbs. I wouldn't have lost without my band, I may have even continued to gain without it." So just hang in there!

Hi there october bandters...I am not an october girl but I was banded Nov...20th 2007 to be exact and I have lost only11 pounds. I am TOTALLY depressed. I had my first fill on friday 1/5/08 (1.8 cc in a 4 cc band). WHY DON'T I HAVE ANY RESTRICTION AT ALL. Well, I can eat ANYTHING right now. My doctor had me do 48 hours of liquid diet (that I complied with and did not cheat...not one time). What I found however, was that I was so ravenous by the time the 48th hour came that I went on a COMPLETE BINGE!! That is how I found out that I had NO restriction. Talk about upset. I am holding back the tears as I type. I called my MD's office today and I am waiting for him to get back to me.

The problem I have is that if I could control the binge eating, I would never have paid $15K (self pay) to get this tool. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I have not modified my behavior the way that I should because I am completely out of control right now. My cravings are exactly the same. I have decided to get some professional help. Maybe understanding my addiction to food will help me. I am not going to give up though. I will be thin one day. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Don't give up. Remember weight loss is not only dependent upon the calorie restriction the lapband provides us. Another variable you can control is the amount of calories you burn each day. I have had unusually great weight loss results, but I am doing at least 1 hour of dedicated exercise 6 days per week along with the calorie restriction from the lapband.

Everyone has a different journey to get to the end result. The key is consistency over time.

That is so very true. We all have our ups and downs on this journey. You will get there, just don't give up!!

Robin

Wow!!!! Sooo glad to hear your story. I feel the same way. I am loosing on just sheer willpower and that is beginning to run thin. I have had three fills and I sometimes feel a slight restiction but I need to learn to pay better attention to it because I tend to keep on eating. I'm so afraid to stretch my pouch or damage my band. This is much harder than I thought it would be. I sometimes wish I had opted for the full bypass.

Well it is what it is so I better get with the program. Good Luck!!!!!

Bekkie

I appreciate the tips and advice!!! I will keep trying.

My problem is, even when things get stuck I try to push more down. You know how ehen, pre-band, things got stuck....well, for me my first inclination was to wash it down. That doesn't work here!!!

I simply do not understand how to eat small and not shovel food in. THAT will take some getting used to!!!

One question. Can I be over-filled? Almost everything gets stuck.

Thanks a bunch you guys!!!!

i am with you..banded in october, and as of last week i had not lost a pound. actually gained.

got a good fill..now i'm 8 lbs down. but.. i'm starting to be able to eat again.

be patient...lets all hope it will come.

I appreciate the tips and advice!!! I will keep trying.

My problem is, even when things get stuck I try to push more down. You know how ehen, pre-band, things got stuck....well, for me my first inclination was to wash it down. That doesn't work here!!!

I simply do not understand how to eat small and not shovel food in. THAT will take some getting used to!!!

One question. Can I be over-filled? Almost everything gets stuck.

Thanks a bunch you guys!!!!

Hi Snappy..... Yes, you can be overfilled and you may need a slight unfill... It sounds like your band may be irritated from everything getting stuck and if I may suggest that you go on liquids for 24-48 hours to let it settle down.... Then try small bites and chew, chew, chew and if it still gets stuck, I would go in for a slight unfill.....

I have not lost a single pound. Have had several fills, the most recent of which seems to be "taking". The others gave me zero restriction.

So now, 3 months after surgery, I feel like a failure and have to re-think how to eat like a bander! What are the basic rules, etc again? I forgot them!!!

HELP!!!!

Ditto to Snappy3k.

I've had one fill so far of 1.4cc. I've lost 10 lbs which I feel is due to my own accord of eating low carb now and then. I have no restriction. I have enjoyed delicous steaks at Taste of Texas twice, once after surgery and once again after my fill. I feel like my band didnt take. I'd like to have my next fill done under flouroscopy just to make sure it is still in place. Any suggestions on where I can go to have this done as I do not believe Spiegel does this in his office.