Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes as regular part of your diet (after post-op diet).  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Protein shakes as regular part of your diet (after post-op diet).

• Yes
    • No

I was considering the unjury Protein powder and/or Slim Fast Lo-Carb for Breakfast (in the car) and then having a yogurt and banana for mid morning snack or something along those lines. I was actually hoping to make either the Unjury, Isopure, or Slim Fast Lo-Carb part of my daily Protein intake well after surgery. So do you think they are referring to not drinking your calories as in something with little to no nutritional value??

Well i would ask your doc . My doc does not want us to drink more than 1 Protein shake a day IF that . But in general I would say yes it would mean drinking things that have no nutrional value. But you could say the same thing about " not drinking calories or protein " if you drank 2 out of your 3 meals a day ? does that make sense ?

Mindy

I used to regularly drink Protein Shakes, but I've pretty much stopped. Now, I just drink them at night if I haven't reached my Protein goal for the day. My stopping doesn't have anything to do with my doctor's orders (she doesn't have a position one way or the other), but I've just don't really like protein shakes, as a whole. Some of them are okay, but they get old when you drink them day after day. I've taken to eating high-protein Snacks, such as cheese, edamame or nuts, instead of Protein Drinks.< /p>

Well i would ask your doc . My doc does not want us to drink more than 1 Protein shake a day IF that . But in general I would say yes it would mean drinking things that have no nutrional value. But you could say the same thing about " not drinking calories or Protein " if you drank 2 out of your 3 meals a day ? does that make sense ?

Mindy

Well, I guess I was thinking as the time frame of over the next year when you are not eating very much - I didn't mean forever. However, I am thinking if you are drinking 2 of your meals, then what is the difference if you were following the Slim-Fast diet? I mean, if you were on the SF diet, you would be drinking 2 of their "protein" drinks per day....right?

Maybe I don't "get it" yet since I am not banded and have not met with the nutritionist or the Dr. to hear about the diet and way of life that they want you to follow. :(

My doc has a low calorie high protien drink as part of the diet but he also has calorie guidelines he wants us to stay in. We are to stay away from empty calories. A protien shake, IMO, is not empyu calories. I add my flax oil to them and a liquid Vitamin on top of that.

I think it depends on how far past post op, a person is. I am still getting fills and after them I'm told to be on "full" liquids for two days. So Protein shakes are still part of my diet.

I think as I get closer to goal, my food intake will gradually go back to "regular" food. I might still occassionally have a Protein shake or Meal Replacement bar even long term post op.

Well, I guess I was thinking as the time frame of over the next year when you are not eating very much - I didn't mean forever. However, I am thinking if you are drinking 2 of your meals, then what is the difference if you were following the Slim-Fast diet? I mean, if you were on the SF diet, you would be drinking 2 of their "protein" drinks per day....right?

Maybe I don't "get it" yet since I am not banded and have not met with the nutritionist or the Dr. to hear about the diet and way of life that they want you to follow. :)

Because solid Proteins are what will keep you full longer. That is why you are told to layer your foods, Proteins first, then veggies, then if you have room carbs . I am allowed 3 meals and up to 3 Snacks a day . But even with the Snacks I am told to make sure their is Protein in them . If your eating a snack because your hungry and you eat a cup of pudding, pudding has almost no Protein in it , therefore your going to be hungry very soon again . BUT if you eat say a slice of ham and a slice of cheese , something with prtoein that snack is going to hold you over until your next MEAL . Prtoein shakes to me are "Filler" calories. I dont see the point of drinking them JUST to get in the right amount of protein or calories for the day . You should be doing that with actual food. ANd to me , just my opinion what is the difference between this and the slim fast diet ? Long term the slim fast diet does not WORK ! Maybe im not explaining this correctly . ? What it boils down to is wait and see what YOUR DOC has to say . My doc is ok with me drinking ONE Protein shake a day but he wants me to eat the rest of my calories and my protein .

HTH

Mindy

My doc has a low calorie high protien drink as part of the diet but he also has calorie guidelines he wants us to stay in. We are to stay away from empty calories. A protien shake, IMO, is not empyu calories. I add my flax oil to them and a liquid Vitamin on top of that.

I think SOME Protein shakes are not empty calories, Just my opinion . Slim fast and Atkins shakes CAN be empty calories. I think there are some of those drinks that can be better than others. If that makes sense ? If the calories out weight the Protein benifits those IMO are empty ? Does that make sense ? LOL

Mindy

I think it depends on how far past post op, a person is. I am still getting fills and after them I'm told to be on "full" liquids for two days. So Protein shakes are still part of my diet.

I think as I get closer to goal, my food intake will gradually go back to "regular" food. I might still occassionally have a Protein shake or Meal Replacement bar even long term post op.

Totally agree with this too. I have to do 6 days of liquids after every fill . Im suppose to do 3 days clears and 3 days liquids but do to my Migraines my doc allows me to do all 6 liquids so I LIVE on Bolthouse farms shakes. My doc is fine w/ that. So my fridge is always stocked with them . They do have a place dont get me wrong. Even Post op they have a place .

Mindy

Hi Mindy, thanks for the tips. I have been using a Protein Shake in the a.m. so I can get my Protein in. The problem that I have is within an hour to an hour and a half I am starving. Can you give me some examples as to what you eat in the a.m. that is high in protein. I can't do scrambled eggs but I can do easy over. Julie

Hi Mindy, thanks for the tips. I have been using a Protein shake in the a.m. so I can get my Protein in. The problem that I have is within an hour to an hour and a half I am starving. Can you give me some examples as to what you eat in the a.m. that is high in protein. I can't do scrambled eggs but I can do easy over. Julie

Julie, I can not eat eggs either , i cant eat them no matter how they are cooked, they get stuck every time. I can not eat in the am until around 12 or 1 im always too tight. So usually around 7 or 8 in the am I drink a Bolthouse Farms Protein Drink. They are the ONLY kind of drink i use. I get Migraines from any kind of artificial sweetners ect . So im very sensitive to most of the prtoien drinks. These are all natural . They have 20 grams of protein per bottle ( The small bottles are actually 2 servings ) I usually drink half of one in the am . They will tide me over until lunch time EASY !

And they are SO GOOD.

Bolthouse Farms "Juices"

The last 3 drinks on the page are the only ones that have protein in them . I dont like the vanilla chi it tastes like egg nog but the other 2 are AWESOME. Also before i found out about these I only drank Boost . Those worked rather well but not as well as these. You can get the bolthouse at Walgreens, Walmart and I can get them at my local grocery store in the Produce section . These are good also for if your out running around and you dont want to do fast food ( as i never want to do anymore ) so i run into walgreens and crab one of these for lunch .

HTH

Mindy

There are so many different opinions out there in the medical community...obviously...because so many people are doing so many different things.

I was told by our nutritionist in our pre surgery nutrition classes we had more than one by the way, that there was no way we could eat all the Protein we needed when only consuming 3 ounce meals, so we would need to drink some of our Protein. Therefore we are to have one in the mid morning and one mid afternoon. We are to use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury it is whey protein and is has 20 grms of protein. Our bodies are only able to absorb 23-25 grams of protein at a time. So consuming more than this in one sitting is only hurting your kidneys, they told us.

I know this to be true, because I have trouble getting the calories high enough without the Protein shakes with my 3 ounce meals. I think others are eating a whole lot more food than I am.

I was told to never eat more than 4 ounces ever again......this was to make the band be as successful as it could be. The whole idea is to keep the portions very small. The pouch is only the size of my surgeons thumb when first made, and only will stretch so much. You do not want it overly stretched.

If you figure 3 ounces of food that is very hard to get 1100 to 1200 calories which is the ideal amount that I am too shoot for:)

Hope this helps, always do what your own Dr. has outlined for you to do!! NO matter what is said here.

hi

i am tight in the morning and cant eat till late afternoon/nighttime. so when i take a Protein shake...i have more energy and feel full most of the day

also like the other girls have said...i lose weight better when i have more calories. when i ate too few...my weight loss halted.

if i know my calories are going to be ok for a day...i still take the Protein whey bullets. they have less than 100 calories and 25-42 gms of protein.

i attribute this regimen with the fact i havent lost my hair. i have been religious about protein and Water drinking from day 1.

Is Hair loss due to too little protein? If one gets enough protein is there a good chance they can avoid hair loss? Any other factor/s contributing to hair loss that you know of?

Is hair loss due to too little Protein? If one gets enough Protein is there a good chance they can avoid Hair loss? Any other factor/s contributing to hair loss that you know of?

I think poor nutrition in general can lead to hair loss but lack of protein is a big problem if I remeber correctly . Someone else can probably help more .

Mindy