Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointing Post-Op appt....

Thank goodness i am feeling the same way i can eat anything and i am only 11 days out and get hungry 1 hour later after eating my meals. i thought i did not have a band until you kind people have the same things going on as me. well good luck to each and every one of us.

Thanks for responding to my rather off topic post. I'm also a teacher and having someone else tell me when I can eat and what is hard:) Still, I paid for this myself and I'm not doing anything to mess it up.

Kathy

I just went in for my post-op visit on 01/02, (2 weeks out) and I was told, come back for a fill when you can eat more than a cup and not feel full. I was like, uh ok? He explained that the healing has to complete and that I need to watch what I put in my mouth. He didn't ask anything about what I was eating, especially since he had told me the day after surgery that I was on liquids until he said so. Little does he know, that I left liquids the first week, graduated myself from mushies and am eating regular foods. But, still not exceeding the 1/2 cup measurement. So, I guess that's good...right? So far since surgery, I've lost about 14, but gained 5 in the last week. (Effects of real food)

I, too, will have my first fill at 8 weeks post-op. Frustrating!!! But, honestly, my port is so sore I can't imagine anyone touching it for five more weeks. But seriously! I have no restriction right now. Too much time between now and then to revert back to the old ways.

I was banded on 12-11-07. I have only lost 10 pounds. I lost 10 prior to surgery, so that's 20 total.

I have to stick closely to the liquid diet and less than 1000cals to lose weight. I've tried to eat soft fish, Soups, etc., but I don't loose. I dont' know how many calories I'm eating. I came back to work yesterday, and it has been easier because I stay busy.

Good luck to us all.

Angie:rolleyes:

My doctor said the EXACT same thing to me yesterday... he said that he wouldn't do a fill before then because I won't be completely healed until I am 6 to 7 weeks out. I thought well crap... I'm not starving... but I sure can eat more then I thought I would be able to.... I know this is temporary and the real weight loss happens later.... long term goal in mind!:hungry:

I think if you fill before it is healed the stitches can pull away on the inside that are houlding the band and it will slip

sorry you had that happen 100....in my post op visit .....was 2 weeks after surgery i'd lost 9lbs.... the dr said nothing about it but good job ..ur losing...he also told me...now that you'll move on to solid foods..dont expect much weight loss till you begin getting your' fills... i would have been disappointed if that was told to me...hell put the port where you can hit it the first time i'd have said ..YOU ARE THE DOCTOR! i think some ppl arent as sensitive as they should be... 11lbs!! is awsome...i know i for one could gain 11lbs in 2 weeks ..so losing it is wonderful....gl ...i'd voice ur concerns when you go back....you are paying for a service!!! tc

This is almost exactly what my Doc said. Good job and dont freak out about gaining a few back. He also told me to experiment with new foods to see what I can handle. he basicaly said EAT your hungry so eat. just dont over eat. I am not restricted on any food except what my mind is scared of eatting. (breads and hard meat) but he told me to try them. slowly but do try them. and go for my walks and weigh myself once a week. With this type of behavior he said he will know if I DO need a fill or if I am at the right point. He said if I diet real hard he wont know if I am losing weight because of dieting or because of the band.

Sounded good to me.

He's the doc.

I am sticking to his advise. Making sure I eat but not over eat.

Cerrin,

I'm glad to hear that about not dieting too hard...I've been just busting my a$$ on the treadmill and having those stupid Protein shakes 3 times a day with only one small meal to try to keep my weight down...and it's just not working. I started doing 45 minutes at 3.7-3.8 miles per hour TWICE a day and it still didn't help. I've tried everything. I have yet to have issues with any particular food, though I don't recommend onion Soup or chili! (And you thought the gas pain post op was bad...) So I'm relieved to hear that your dr. told you not to do anything too out of the ordinary to lose weight. Mine barely talks to me. Thank goodness for his physician assistant. She's the one who seems to care and know what's really going on.

Good luck. When are you scheduled for your first fill? I was banded on Dec. 12th and my first fill is Jan. 28th. That's nearly 7 weeks....I'm just counting the days! :rolleyes:

I saw him on monday and he scheduled my fill for the 23rd so I will get my fill at exactly 6 weeks.

I didnt have any gas pains from the surgery I was lucky.

I eat chili all the time...but then again I have never had gas from Beans. eggs yes that is why I havent ate eggs more then once after surgery

My dr's office is great we have a nutritionist and 3 other support nurses that have had the band and the x-ray tec's have had the band. It is a great team of people. Every one is supportive about the band and know what your going thru. So when I call in with a question or issue they can tell me if something is normal or odd and if it is odd to them I get to talk to the dr's assistant who tells me if it odd bad or just odd and what to do to fix it. and how to keep something from happening again. I am extremely happy with my group.

We even have support group meetings where we all come to talk about issues we have with the band and we help eachother out with tips for eatting and what resturants are band friendly and will give you childs portions with little problems.

Oh, it's not just a teacher thing :P I'm a nurse and I feel exactaly the same. And then when I got my first fill, he only put in 1cc and I still have no restriction!

Glad other people are feeling the same!!! I didn't expect the band to do miracles either, just lessen my appetite!!!!!!

I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DITTO...

*sniff, sniff* Do I smell popcorn?

i was banded on 12/12 and will be going on 1/29 for a fill. I can eat just about everything and try to make good choices. i am disappointed that i am not losing any more weight but i am not dieting, i just eat less.

I had my lap placed on Christmas eve. I did not get to see DR until Jan. 10. I do not get my first fill until March 6. I have no restriction (we will not until the band has Fluid in it-and sometimes it takes a few fills before you feel the restriction).

this is amazing to me that ya'll dont feel restriction I can't eat eat half a piece of pizza and I am neraly three weeks out too! it's crazy how different people are affected!!