Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long til I can be banded

My ins required a 6 mos supervised diet. I started the process July of 06 and was just done Dec 13th. One of the reasons it took me so long is that I changed Docs and locations half way thru the process. I was traveling an hour away and then I doc right at the hosp I work at started doing the surgery local. SO I SWITCHED and am so happy that I did. I started seeing him in Sept of this year and I am 3 weeks out today. Hope this helps. IT was a long process for me but others I have seen it be boom, boom, boom. Done.

I right with you. My seminar is January 12th. I would do it today too. Frustration huh? My insurance said they would only approve two doctors, one in Lubbock or one in El Paso. Thats 6-7 hours away from me but thats okay. I tried both to see which I could get in first. One said they would send paperwork. Haven't seen it. Other one said attend seminar, luckily in a city only 3 hours away from me. Thats on the 12th. And here we go... Would love to keep up with some one as this progresses but haven't really found anyone interested as of yet. Are you?

I right with you. My seminar is January 12th. I would do it today too. Frustration huh? My insurance said they would only approve two doctors, one in Lubbock or one in El Paso. Thats 6-7 hours away from me but thats okay. I tried both to see which I could get in first. One said they would send paperwork. Haven't seen it. Other one said attend seminar, luckily in a city only 3 hours away from me. Thats on the 12th. And here we go... Would love to keep up with some one as this progresses but haven't really found anyone interested as of yet. Are you?

I would definitly love to have someone to keep up with. It would be great, cause we are both on the same steps and it would be great support. =]

Famous-I was up here just thinking that last year around this time i started my journey and had my surgery june, 2007. at first i was like okay hurry up, but then i calmed myself and started to prepare for what laid ahead and believe you me, I am glad I made the decision to do it. In due time girlfriend, in due time!!

Hi there..

I just got my surgery date yesterday! I'm scheduled for Feb 5th. I was very lucky in that I started this process in November and here I am 3 months later with a date. My insurance didn't require a 6 month program, just a psych eval, nutrition eval, and medical clearance. And obviously, medical necessity. I was VERY diligent with the process. I did all the requirements within a month and made sure I kept documentation of everything. I also got my medical records from the last year which had some blood work and EKG tests that I had to take early in '06. Once I got medical clearance, met with the surgeon and they submitted everything to insurance, I was approved in 2 days. I know....I'm VERY lucky. My advice is to keep pace with the insurance requirements and be diligent with your team of doctors. You'll be on your way to a surgery date in no time!!

What kind of insurance do you have? I have United Health Care and I got through right away. The end of November was the 1st time I looked into the lap band and I am having my surgery on the 16th. There was a lady I was talking to at my doc's office and she said everyone with United gets through right away but other insurances make you jump through hoops.

Hi famous,

You and are I are not so far apart...I am just beginning as well. By Feb 1st I expect to have all my preop stuff done. So far so good.

Best Wishes

Lana

famous: Sorry I couldn't write back sooner. I work a 12 hour day on Thursdays which usually runs into more like 14. I am glad you want to keep track of this trek together.

bigmarathoner: I too am gathering all my medical records as I too have had alot of medical tests during the past year or two, like my sleep study, EGD, etc...

any other tips anyone? Thanks everybody.

HI, Jean

I am in Utah also and going to the seminar on Jan 15th, at St Marks Hospital and I also have blue cross blue shield. Good luck with your journey. Maybe Ill see you at the seminar, if you would like to chat let me know.

famous: so just a few more days til the seminar, right? I went ahead and got a referral from my PCP even though I am not sure the surgeon will want one and I am gathering my MR and list of diets I have been on... stuff I know that they will need in the future. I am real excited to move forward. How about you?

PT - Hope to see you at the seminar as well! It will be great to chat with you, I'll be the young girl with dark cherry red hair and probably my pink converse shoes!

Step - I'm so excited. I just went to my doctor and he submitted everything we think we needed to submit and I'm calling the insurance to make sure we did it right. You just reminded me I should collect all my diet info.. even the hypnotist I went to.. boy that was a waste lol! How are you doing with everything have you been to your seminar yet?

Not yet famous. Going this Saturday, 1/12. I started my diets tried list and couldn't believe how extensive it was. Jeepers. I've tried alot. The surgeon won't submit any of my info until after the seminar so I have spoke with the insurance but still waiting til the packet is complete. Let me know how your seminar goes.

Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site! I'm also going through the seemingly endless process of scheduling necessary appointments and getting my insurance ducks in a row. I feel like now that I've made the decision to get the band I just want it to happen now! But I'm guessing this test of patience will come in handy 10 days into a 2 week liquid diet, so there's a silver lining. The one thing I'm currently a little freaked out by is the psychological test. I've never been to a shrink and I'm afraid that I'll say something that will make the doctor think this band is not a good idea. Any suggestions from the veterans? Thanks!

Emily.