Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

average fill

I realize everyone on this forum is different and we all react to our bands in a different way. I have an AP band (10cc) with only one fill so far. The fill did nothing for me and since I was banded in August I feel like when am I going to lose weight?

What is the average fill amount for most people where the sweet spot is found? I was just wondering how long will it be to find that spot. Do doctors fill only 1cc at a time or do they put as much as they feel is adequate? How do doctors determine how much fill they place in the band any particular time? I am just curious.

I had a dr's appointment today and will be having another fill in two weeks. I just feel like I am wasting valuable time.

Thanks for any input you have for me. I learn a lot on this forum.:)

Cyndi

My doc has a long list of questions about what you can eat and what you cannot eat that enables him to judge the amount of fill you need. For example, when I said I could eat a whole chicken thigh with a half cup of rice, I got a .5 cc fill on top of 2.8 cc's. Now I am at the sweet spot to a tiny bit too tight. So when you go in, be ready to answer specific questions about what you eat, the amounts and how much exercise you are doing. If you have PB'd, they will want to know how often, and if you PB'd because of not chewing well, rushing or if you are too tight. Also be aware of how you feel hunger-wise. A good fill corresponds to less hunger. The feeling of acid reflux is also an indication of being too tight.

To make a long story short, be super aware of your physical symptoms and your behaviors so you can tell all that the doc needs to know in order to judge how much of a fill or un-fill to give you.

My Dr also asks all of those questions. However, Since I am his first APS bandster, he always goes and gets his notes and follows Inamed's suggestions for fill amounts. He even showed it to me, because the first fill he wanted to bring me up to a total of 4 and I wanted 5. I got 4 and also have NO restriction. I am eating more now than ever. My second fill is 1/14 so I think that's when the suggestion is 5...

Thank you both Annie and Patty. I will be very observant to how I eat and feel. For some crazy reason I felt more restriction before the doctor did my first fill. I have PB'd, usually on meats and breads. Now at only 1cc I eat everything and anything. I was just wondering if the doctors only add 1cc at a time or do they add more than that? My band is Inamed too at 10cc's. I am feeling impatient at the lack of weight loss and it has been about 5 months out. My next fill is like you Patty, on 1/14. I hope all goes well for the both of us.

Thanks again for your support.

Cyndi

My Dr also asks all of those questions. However, Since I am his first APS bandster, he always goes and gets his notes and follows Inamed's suggestions for fill amounts. He even showed it to me, because the first fill he wanted to bring me up to a total of 4 and I wanted 5. I got 4 and also have NO restriction. I am eating more now than ever. My second fill is 1/14 so I think that's when the suggestion is 5...

Patti,

Looking at your weight loss...Have you really lost 60 pounds in 2 1/2 months since surgery? And you felt no restriction until now? Please explain, I'm feeling like a loser, but in a bad way.

I just had my 4th fill and I am finally at my sweet spot with 9.5 ccs. I feel restriction all the time now and my weight loss has finally started up again. Everyone is different. I just now feel like I am working with my band. I can finally push things away when I get that initial gurgle or hiccup. When I start to feel that burn in the back of my throat, I am done. It also took me this long to break the habit of drinking with meals. It really does work to wait the hour. Please don't be hard on yourself. Look how long it took you to pack on the pounds. Yes, that part was definately fun, but it did not happen overnight. Weight loss has to be a little harder. My goal is to be on the cover of that yearly People magazine that says "They lost half their size!" Good Luck

With the 10cc band I have seen a lot of people anywhere from 4-7ccs. Just keep going back until you can eat 1/2 to 1 cup of food and lose 1-2 lbs per week. It took me 5 fills and 6 months to get there. Good luck.

Bebers,

I started on Nutrisystem a year ago, that was my highest weight. I was 220 at surgery, so I've lost 21 since surgery.

Cyndi,

I got fill number two on 1/14. I asked for a total of 6. He looked at me over his glasses and said don't be a hero. So we played around with the numbers a little, he put in the 6 MY GOD The Water backed up, he totally openend it and I felt it all go down...swoosh...I said MAN that was fun! So I ended up with 5.5. I am just now starting to eat solids, tried to eat a 3 oz bag of tuna today, OMG I felt the tightness in the chest, and the pain, I had to stop. Couldn't do it, I figure I better work up to it slowly, but I think I have some great restriction as I am not hungry at all. Did you get your fill?.

Any way, the thread is about how many cc's do they put in your fill. I think it's really based on how your hunger is and how your weight gain/loss is. I would rather move it up slowly than to feel like I did with 6cc in there. That was brutal.

Bebers,

I started on Nutrisystem a year ago, that was my highest weight. I was 220 at surgery, so I've lost 21 since surgery.

Cyndi,

I got fill number two on 1/14. I asked for a total of 6. He looked at me over his glasses and said don't be a hero. So we played around with the numbers a little, he put in the 6 MY GOD The Water backed up, he totally openend it and I felt it all go down...swoosh...I said MAN that was fun! So I ended up with 5.5. I am just now starting to eat solids, tried to eat a 3 oz bag of tuna today, OMG I felt the tightness in the chest, and the pain, I had to stop. Couldn't do it, I figure I better work up to it slowly, but I think I have some great restriction as I am not hungry at all. Did you get your fill?.

Any way, the thread is about how many cc's do they put in your fill. I think it's really based on how your hunger is and how your weight gain/loss is. I would rather move it up slowly than to feel like I did with 6cc in there. That was brutal.

Thank goodness! I thought I wasn't seeing straight. You should put that on your profile so people like me don't compare our weight loss against people who started losing well before surgery. Many of us become

disillusioned with our slow weight loss when we see other people's numbers.

Thanks for responding and Congratulations on your very successful weight loss!

I've got the 14 cc AP band (thought it was 10 cc until today!). I'm now at about 8cc after 3 fills. I was empty after surgery (normally this band is left w/ 4cc in after surgery). My first fill was 2 cc. Second was aggressive and brought me to about 6.5. Now, I'm at 8 cc.

My dr said that with my size band the 'sweet spot' is usually around 7 - 9 cc. He has me scheduled for every 2 weeks to get there. Right now, based on my lunch experience I'm hopeful!

I got my first fill this afternoon, a lot of ppl on this site said that there dr. didn't numb them first so I was kind of scared, but thankfully mine did,my DH went with me he said the needle was long and he stuck it in over half way I didn't feel a thing ,nothing nobba, now it it hurts alittle but not bad. I only got 1 cc ,he said to come back in 2-3 wks. I have 90 days after surgery for free fills so I want to get them while I can.