Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill coming up Friday

Can anyone tell me about their first fill? Mine is coming up this Friday, and I know not to eat prior to going, and stay on liquids for 2 days after, but that is all I know. What does it feel like? Does it hurt? Will I notice the restriction right away? How much is too much to eat after your fill? Right now, I can eat anything and yes I've gained back 10 lbs. of the 20 I lost. I'm sick about it. But I"m hungry, so I eat. And with the holidays I've noticed I'm eating sweets and bread again. I'm anxious to have the feelings like I had after surgery, when I did not feel like eating. Please tell me that yes, this surgery really works if you make the correct food choices. I'd hate to think this was it.

Debbie:hungry::help:

Hi Debbie, first off fills are really easy. My surgeon lies me down on the table and givers me a numbing shot first right over the port. He then inserts the needles with the saline. With the needles still sticking in he lays me up and I drink Water to see how it passes. If the restriction is good he removes the needle if not he puts in more then has me drink again. Fills are painless. As far as hunger goes that dimminishes after you start getting fills. It usually takes anywhere from 3-5 fills to reach your sweet spot. Once you start getting restrition it is quite common to only eat a couple oz at once. Goo luck.

Hi Debbie, I Had My First Fill Last Month And I Was Sooo Nervouse.....but I Didnt Even Fill It.....it Was Soo Easy...as Far As Restriction Goes....i Havn't Really Noticed A Big Difference, I Go Back For My Second Fill On Jan 21st And My Doc Told Me That It Will Take 2 Or 3 Fills B4 I Start To Fill A Big Difference.....good Luck With Everything And Yes It Will Work If You Work With It!!

same process for me as juliegeraci - lie on table, place pillow under back (to arch stomach). He feels around for the port (poking & proding) this part hurt on the first fill b/c the port area was still tender.

then it's a numbing shot - small needle & a slight burn sensation from the numbing stuff being injected. Then you don't feel any pain from the actual fill.

However, for me I feel this weird sensation from the needle going into and moving around in the port. It feels REALLY weird - alien. Interesting though!

For the actual fill, he first removes all liquid in the band to see how much is in there. Then he injects fuild back into the band to get to the level he wants based on your band size. Again, painless.

You'll be asked to take some small sips of Water afterwards to make sure there's no issue with drinking.

I've not been told to really be on a liquid dient afterwards, more like "be carefull" and "you may want to do soft foods".

Had my second fill today, mine is similar to socaldixiegal reply

except I am told two days of "full" liquid and then two days of mushies and then onto regular tolerated foods.

I feel a little tighter since the fill, (it took me longer than usual to finish my yogurt) not sure how long that feeling will last.

Next appt is two weeks. I was told we'll evaluate hunger, weight loss etc and decide if another fill in indicated.

Debbie:

Like everyone else, I was really nervous. I had my first fill on 12/31/07. The nurse practitioner sprayed numbing spray so that it made my port location cold. Then she inserted the needle with the solution in, put in 4cc, drew out 4cc to make sure she was in the port correctly and then put it back in.

My doctor requires Clear Liquids for 1 day, pureed for 1 day, soft foods for 1 day and then back on regular foods after each fill.

I was really surprised that I didn't even feel the fill. I didn't look because the needle was pretty big to look at but with the numbing spray, I didn't feel a thing. What a relief! So, don't worry at all about your first fill. You'll spend more time worrying about it than you will even getting it. Good luck!

Sherree

I actually had my first fill today. It was a little painful, the Dr. had me squeeze my abdominal muscles like I was doing a crunch. I guess he was trying to locate where the needle should go? I was surprised when taking the sips of Water how much discomfort I felt in my chest but it was very brief. I have a 10cc band and was filled to 5cc's. My doc said he hoped that I would only need one or two more adjustments in my life! I was very surprised. I was also surprised that I have to be on liquids for 2 days, mushies for the next 5 days and soft foods the next 5!! Almost like right after surgery!! He explained that my stomach is now like the size of a bypass patients. I loved the time I had with little restriction. I still only ate about 1 or 1 1/2 cups of food but I felt like I was very satisfied. However, my weight was not changing. Now the fun really begins!!! :biggrin1:

I had my first fill on 12 Dec and didn't notice a lot of change. I have my next fill on 23 Jan but hoping to get in sooner than that as I have very little restriction at the moment. I was able to eat straight away.. soft food the first 24 hours but that's it.