Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating alot after surgery

Hi all, I am new here and I have found that I am able to eat salad and cheeseburgers and just about everything 9-10 days after surgery. I even ate the bun with the cheese burger. Is there even a pouch after surgery before a fill? I see my Dr tomorrow to have the staples out and I am afraid to tell him. I ate the cheese burger really slow, but after 17 days on liquid and mushie diet I was ready to kill for a cheeseburger!:ranger:

Once you start getting fills you will not be able to eat those types of foods very well. Most likely just 1/4 to 1/2 of a cheeseburger. It may take you several fills to get that level of restriction however. Good luck.

Wow sci gal, that's amazing. I have to be on liquids for 3 weeks and then mushies for 3 weeks after surgery. No "real" food until after my first fill at six weeks. The band area needs to heal so be careful!

You are eating SOLIDS at this time? Is that on your program? Most people go 30 days before solids. It is a given that you will be eating more than you'd like to before your fills, but first of all, what the heck are you doing with a cheeseburger????? I mean, come ON! This isn't a magic potion and it does take some effort on your part.

Yikes, a cheeseburger? I was told (and it makes perfect sense to me) that the diet in the beginning is for healing rather than weight loss. It's not a matter of if I CAN eat this, it's a matter of if I SHOULD eat this. I think you'll save a lot of problems in the long run if you'll take it super easy on your stomach right now. Definitely tell your doctor.

Hi all, I am new here and I have found that I am able to eat salad and cheeseburgers and just about everything 9-10 days after surgery. I even ate the bun with the cheese burger. Is there even a pouch after surgery before a fill? I see my Dr tomorrow to have the staples out and I am afraid to tell him. I ate the cheese burger really slow, but after 17 days on liquid and mushie diet I was ready to kill for a cheeseburger!:ranger:

Scigal

#1 what was your doctors instructions for post-0p diet. Yes there is a pouch without a fill. I did not get soft food until day 21 and day 31 for regular food...

#2 you are healing - you can cause your band to slip by eating like this.

I for one can eat anything I want - I have restriction - I choose to eat healthy - lots of fish (I like it) veggies - brown rice etc. IMHO the band is a great tool - but it's only that - a tool - the band its self isn't going to make you lose weight - only you can do that by choosing healthy foods - you can't keep eating high fat - high sugar foods - the band will let you eat these things and if you choose to continue to eat in this manner you aren't going to be a band success story. IMHO 75% of the work is up to you and the other 25% is the bands job once you get proper restriction

It was stated if you could do this pre-band then you wouldn't need the band - to a point I agree as the band is a Portion Control device but that’s all it is - you control the calories - if you want to be successful you have to make a commitment to changing your eating habit and add exercise into your life. It's not that one piece of cake that made you fat - it was eating the whole damn thing. You can still have cake, candy, fried foods - but only occasionally - not ever day. You have to allow wiggle room (not room enough for another person) to live a normal life - but you have to retrain your brain too.

The band is no diff than any other program out there - Some will succeed on WW - Jenny Craig - LA Weight - Bypass & Lapland surgery - but there are those who didn't continue with their commitment to change their eating habits and they will not succeed. Again this is my personal opinion formed from the data on the band and bypass - there are people out there that were either banded or had bypass and have put all the weight they lost back on - Why - did the surgery fail (they would like you to believe that it did - but it didn't - the tool worked) it was the person who chose to go back to their unhealthy eating habits. Plain and simple

Please make a determined effort to comply with your band and the eating plan that your doctor has given you... You will be the winner and not the food - it feel so good to have power over food and not the other way around.

You can do this - you really can - nothing tastes as good as thin feels...

I'll just jump in here and say that I had absolutely NO restrictions put on me by my surgeon as to what I could eat post-op, none whatsoever. So not all doctors subscribe to the "liquids for a month" theory.

I figured he knows how he placed my band and what I looked like on the inside, so I left it up to him to decide how I should behave post op.

I had a fever on days 2-4 post op and spoke to him a few times/day during that time, and he told me I could pretty much eat ANYTHING I wanted as long as I was able to.

That week I had wonton Soup (cutting the meat out of the wontons) for every meal - since then I've been eating "normally".

I am 5 weeks post op and will watch my calories/intake all day and have what I want for dinner. For example - I'll have slimfasts and Soup at work and a slice of pizza for dinner.

The *old* me would have had a 1/2 a pie.

In all honesty, I haven't lost any weight during this time (I did lose during the pre-op diet and that first week post-op) but I also haven't gained - and once I get some fills, I feel like I'll be able to lose :D

I'll just jump in here and say that I had absolutely NO restrictions put on me by my surgeon as to what I could eat post-op, none whatsoever. So not all doctors subscribe to the "liquids for a month" theory.

I figured he knows how he placed my band and what I looked like on the inside, so I left it up to him to decide how I should behave post op.

I had a fever on days 2-4 post op and spoke to him a few times/day during that time, and he told me I could pretty much eat ANYTHING I wanted as long as I was able to.

That week I had wonton Soup (cutting the meat out of the wontons) for every meal - since then I've been eating "normally".

I am 5 weeks post op and will watch my calories/intake all day and have what I want for dinner. For example - I'll have slimfasts and soup at work and a slice of pizza for dinner.

The *old* me would have had a 1/2 a pie.

In all honesty, I haven't lost any weight during this time (I did lose during the pre-op diet and that first week post-op) but I also haven't gained - and once I get some fills, I feel like I'll be able to lose :D

MrsSmartyPants & Scigirl

You are right each Doc's instructions are different - and each patient must follow their doctors instructions

It's great that you are only eating 1 slice of pizza instead of the whole thing - but IMHO this is a lifetime lifestyle change and you can't just rely on the band - you need to learn a new healthy way of eating in combination with the restriction if you are going to be successful in the long run.

As fat people we have BAD eating habits - these eating habits have to change. You have to do some of the work too by making healthy food choices and adding exercise.

Scigirl - Kacee does understand how hard this is - she has been there - she knows it's hard to refrain from eating a hamburger when you have been on liquids for so long. for some of us - we just don't understand why people who go through all the hassle of surgery - don't take things seriously - that they don't understand that they are going to have to work at this.

I am a fat chick too - I know all the excuses why we can't do thing - it's just too hard - that why you were banded to have the tool to help (operative word help not do it for you)

You do have to work - and we want you to succeed - we really do. I am working this - and I feel so much better - and We want this for all of you - we want you to have the "aha" moment..

We aren't perfect - but we understand that we have to change our old mindset and do the work - we want you all to understand this too.

You will find alot of us banders giving tough love - we aren't going to sugar coat it - You need to step up to the plate and take responsiblity for yourself...

I guess you are right, I took the post to be sort of caustic, I guess I was just looking for support not chastizing. I think we all need some TLC, especially us fatties :paranoid

This is a learning experience for me. I feel I am taking things seriously, I had a lapse in judgement. From what I have read surfing around in here, many people struggle with this new way of life. I am no different.

There is much to learn here. :hungry:

I guess you are right, I took the post to be sort of caustic, I guess I was just looking for support not chastizing. I think we all need some TLC, especially us fatties :paranoid

This is a learning experience for me. I feel I am taking things seriously, I had a lapse in judgement. From what I have read surfing around in here, many people struggle with this new way of life. I am no different.

There is much to learn here. :hungry:

Scigal

That's why this site is great - it's not skinny people telling you how to do it - It's other fatties - who understand. Know one understands a fat person like another fat person does - so you aren't being chastized by a skinny person who doesn't understand - but by a fatty who does - remember that during this journey - we only mean the best...

You are normal - this is a hard new journey and you have a lot to learn - and this is the best site imho to get the support you will need during your journey..

I think people were shocked to hear cheeseburger (I still can't eat the buns) AFTER my surgery I wasn't really hungry but after my first fill I was. The doctor told me on your first fill it actually makes things easier to eat. SO... just warning you... you might be ABLE to eat those foods until the adjustment is right (mine was right after the third fill)... and you are going to have to try to restrict yourself on your own till then. good luck!!!!!

Wow. I think this was a great exchange of information and support. Sci Gal - you slipped up, and you wanted sympathy, but what you NEEDED was someone to tell you the truth. That's what you got from the experienced bandsters. I am glad that they could give you the advice and you could accept it graciously. It is all so lovely when it works.

This medium can be very difficult sometimes, because there are no visual or audio cues to help you. From my experience on this site, I can say that most people ARE trying to help you and give you good advice. It may not be what you wanted or were expecting, but it is almost always what you need.

So, pick yourself up and get back on the straight and narrow. Make that committment and you will be successful.

Just like in the "real world" this forum has the "huggers", the ones that will say "oh, I know how it is, I did that, too" and then there are the "tough love" ones, that just give you a swift kick in the butt and say "what were you thinking?"

In the end we probably need to hear both views. That's what makes the forum great!

I'm one of the tough love type. While I understand the urge to cheat, I have a hard time understanding how the newbies aren't afraid of trying these foods and push their band and port and healing so quickly in the process.

For me, I'm able to follow the Dr's instructions right now, I'm more worried about long term, when healing is done, fills are done and most of weight is gone and things are back to "normal".

Just my 2 cents!

Just like in the "real world" this forum has the "huggers", the ones that will say "oh, I know how it is, I did that, too" and then there are the "tough love" ones, that just give you a swift kick in the butt and say "what were you thinking?"

In the end we probably need to hear both views. That's what makes the forum great!

I'm one of the tough love type. While I understand the urge to cheat, I have a hard time understanding how the newbies aren't afraid of trying these foods and push their band and port and healing so quickly in the process.

For me, I'm able to follow the Dr's instructions right now, I'm more worried about long term, when healing is done, fills are done and most of weight is gone and things are back to "normal".

Just my 2 cents!

Shortgal - I am worried about the long run too... That's why it is so important to retrain yourself that this is a lifetime lifestyle change in eating - if we ever go back to what we considered "normal" we will gain our weight back. Eating healthy is Normal - This is not a diet cuz when you go off the diet you gain your weight back - which we all have done 100 million times before..