Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Hair Loss Solution...

I have always had ridiculously thin, baby fine hair, and knowing that I was likely to lose even more after banding was a little disturbing, but at least I was prepared. When I started to notice that my hair was thinner than normal I decided TO HELL WITH IT!! So here, step by step, is my solution...

First, my "normal" hair...

attachment.php?attachmentid=11239&stc=1&d=1199192169

Then I went to my hairdresser, Nick. For years I have said that I wished I was brave enough to just shave my hair off...

The "After the Clippers" pics...

attachment.php?attachmentid=11241&stc=1&d=1199192469

attachment.php?attachmentid=11242&stc=1&d=1199192565

I have to say, getting rid of my hair is seriously liberating and as strange as it may be, I LOVE IT!!!

But for going out, going to work, church, or anywhere else I need to look decent, I found a really cute wig...

attachment.php?attachmentid=11243&stc=1&d=1199192711

attachment.php?attachmentid=11244&stc=1&d=1199192736

attachment.php?attachmentid=11245&stc=1&d=1199192746

Having full, thick hair feels so strange!!

I guess the reason I wanted to post this is because I have seen countless threads from people who were completely panicked about Hair loss, and I just wanted to show that there are solutions. The hair loss wont last forever, and when I get to my goal weight I'll throw the wig in a drawer and let my hair grow again...but for now Im embracing my hair loss and enjoying the fact that whether I go with the buzz look or the wig, doing my hair takes 3 seconds!!

:whoo:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

For some reason I can't see your pics, but wow you got guts girl. It must be so liberating. Being big all my life my strongest asset was my hair. Now that I have a baby it is a pain to take care of. I wish I had your courage. What an inspiration, I hope to be able to view your pics!

I LOVE the Buzz best!! Such a pretty face you can totally pull that off. Last month I cut 14inches off and dontated to locks of luv. I love having short hair again & will keep it that way.....Really love the buz.

I like the buzz too but have a question - why does banding cause a loss of hair? I am not banded just thinking of it and already have problems with my hair thinning as well.

I know that some people have different issues, but one reason for some could be the lack of Protein. Make sure to get 40 grams pre-op and then 60 - 80 grams post-op. (i.e. a Protein Shake either made with powder or a canned shake is 20-24 grams of Protein, so two a day sets you up pretty well!)

Both of his children of a friend of mine had bypass surgery within the last two years and yet when I asked him what kind of Protein Shakes they used, he said "None". Maybe you can eat more with bypass, (?) but I KNOW I can't get enough protein in just by eating 1/2 cup three times a day! (Especially since I LOVE my oatmeal for breakfast=no protein!). :hungry:

i have posted on this subject before....myself..my mother and sister have rediculously thinning hair also! ... i am the only banded person...and only 5 weeks out...so its thin by genetics.... after seeking the help of a dermatologist..he suggested..rogain for women....and it's helped....all 3 of us...so give it a try... i am not allowed Protein shakes...and i've not been filled yet so i'm sure i'm getting all my protein..(along with other stuff) in just fine for now....but ... after 3 months with the rogain ..the dr said as well as my hairdresser..that they see hair buds... which is new growth!! wonderful..anyway..we all get the Walmart brand and its just as good.....gl to everyone.... and honey you look great with that buzz cut and the wig... YOU GO GIRL!!!

Congrats!

I have the same problem with thinning hair. I have IC and the medicine they give me is so potent my hair falls out. But I use Biotin and looove it. I also rock a wig now and then but I find Biotin helps your hair keep healthy under the wig too. Good luck!

I LOVE the Buzz best!! Such a pretty face you can totally pull that off. Last month I cut 14inches off and dontated to locks of luv. I love having short hair again & will keep it that way.....Really love the buz.

i totally agree, you look best in the buzz picture (you look good in all of them, but best with the buzz).

my hair is about the same texture as yours, but it is to my lower back, so i can fake people out..lol. i have wave, so when it is down it looks really thick.

The main issue with banding and hairloss is general body trauma/anesthesia. If you're seriously malnourished it can play a role, but few if any of us will ever be in that category. Most people experience Hair loss after anesthesia or a significant trauma to the body. Surgery is both.

That's a bold move! I thought about doing that in general just to wear wigs, so I could have all kinds of different hair on a whim. But knowing my track record, I'd be too lazy to maintain the wigs, then I wouldn't have anything to wear, and I'd panic (I look HORRIBLE in hats, I do NOT have the face to pull off shaved head). Kudos to you!

I have been wanting to get weaves from my hair lady, she does them European style, whatever that means.. they're not burned in or glued or braided in, not sure how she does it..but the pics I saw, looks normal and wonderful thick hair.. but it's $900.. woosh. She said they last a year, so if I get the guts to spend $900 on my hair, I'm gonna do that.

I think genetics plays a larger role than the band - ie: thin hair. I "had", since I just cut it all off, really thick hair to begin with, having to have it thinned out regularly - Fairy, there are extension clips...kinda attached to a comb that are a better solution to extensions. You can wash, cut, & color them..., nothing permanent and can be used on those "fun occassions".